Lets celebrate RePIGhi's birthday today | Golden Skate

Lets celebrate RePIGhi's birthday today

E

eltamina

Lets celebrate RePIGhi's birthday today

Just thouht you want to know that <span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:small;">Freddy's</span> good friend Res<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:small;">PIG</span>hi was born on 7/9/1879

From www.naxos.com

Ottorino Respighi (1879-1936)

The Italian composer Ottorino Respighi studied music in his native Bologna and later, briefly, with Rimsky-Korsakov in St. Petersburg. A viola-player and pianist, as well as a composer, he settled in Rome in 1913, earning a reputation also for his interest in early music and for his work as a teacher.

Orchestral Music

Respighi is chiefly known for his vivid symphonic poems, in particular Fontane di Roma (Fountains of Rome), Pini di Roma (Pines of Rome), and Feste romane (Roman Festivals), the last even more a celebration of the revived spirit of nationalism in the Italy of his time. Concertos for violin and for piano occupy a lesser position in general repertoire. Other orchestral compositions include Trittico botticelliano (Triptych after Botticelli) and music from his opera Belfagor.

Arrangements

Respighi's La boutique fantasque, based on Rossini, is well known to ballet audiences. Other orchestral arrangements include three sets of orchestrated Antiche arie e danze per liuto (Ancient Airs and Dance for Lute) and Gli uccelli (The Birds), based on compositions by Rameau, Pasquini and others.

A

Aloft02

Re: Lets celebrate RePIGhi's birthday today

Gosh, the usual lame "Happy Birthday to You" song just isn't gonna cut it for this guy is it, eltamina?

Were you thinking full orchestra and choir for our tribute, or should we just cut directly to the CAKE?!

I'm thinkin' cake. Chocolate.

M

mathman444

Re: Aloft

My favorite Respighi works are the Ancient Airs and Dances, where he revives and provides orchestral setting for old folk tunes, etc. One of the dances (Suite 1, no. 2) is a "Galliard" (whatever that is) by Vincenzo Galilei, father of the famous astronomer Galileo.

Another (Suite 2, no. 3) reworks a piece by Marin Mersenne (1588-164:cool: . Mersenne was a very prominent mathematician, astronomer and priest (and the answer to a trivia question on mathematics in another thread, LOL.)

Mathman

M

mathman444

I have that very recording! Yes, it's excellent, and what a bargain.

MM

J

JOHIO2

Thanks, mathman and eltamina. I had almost forgotten those airs. Great stuff. Think I might just order myself a cd and get reaquainted with the so-called "lesser" works.

Having an Italian heritage, I have always heard the fountains and pines and stuff. Gotta admit they are quite festive and majestic. Sorta the Italian version of Fourth of July staples!

E

eltamina

Jo, I love fountains and pines, I hope they will replace 1812 with fountains and pines for 7/4 someday. ( at least for once)

Respighi is a genius orchestrator ( is there such a word?) and composer