The best skaters never to win big... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The best skaters never to win big...

I don't think so. In both of her world championships, 2002 and 2005, she was way ahead after the short. IIRC, in most of her Grand Prix and Europeans victories also, she led throughout.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Now you know its pointless to argue who deserves what with skating fans... only our favorites deserve to win because we love them sooo much... what they put out on the ice during a specific competiton is irrelevant... ;)

I know - its the first rule of skate fandom!! i'm pretty sure i wrote a list of three or four rules a while back!! Sometimes i take the bait when i see it though!!

Ant:)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
No, but she sure skated in SLC...(which is what I was referring to, BTW)

I only twigged after i sent it - i didn't thin kthe poster was referring to anything other than the 2006 Olympics though since she's said the same thing about the Olympics just gone.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If one throws in the 'what ifs', how would Irina compare to Kimmie in the Worlds had she participated?

It's extremely difficult to compare skating from one competition to another competition. It's all about what happens at THAT competition and the other competition just doesn't count.

Joe

Do you mean what if Irina had put the two performances from the Olympics out at the world championships? Well ignoring the qualifying round i would have thought Kimmie would have won - given Irina's lack luster LP with what three or four triples to kimmie's 7 with two 3/3s and a 2/2/2. But i suspect a moscow worlds performance from Irina, even with only 6 triples couting would have won over the young upstart...i'm not how deserving a win that would have been but i'd bet the judges would never have given kimmie the nod over a clean Irina.

Ant

Can't argue with your rationale, Antmanb:agree: but I stand by my point of comparing skaters from two separate competitions.

As much as I like Kimmie, this was the best I've seen her skate. Whether she continues in this fashion remains to be seen. I won't be looking for gold every time but I will be looking for consistency at a high level tech routine.

As for Irina, this Olys was not her best but I am now looking at a downward level of skating (GPF, Olys) to an upswing back to her best. Her best skating may be behind her. We'll see if she continues.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Can't argue with your rationale, Antmanb:agree: but I stand by my point of comparing skaters from two separate competitions.

I don't think i made any argument against the point you made about comparing skaters from two separate competitions :scratch:

Ant

jesslily

Final Flight
Angela N., Fumie S., Victoria V., Julia S.... They are really great skaters with good jumping technique. But they are never lucky enough to get the titles they deserve.

antmanb said:
I don't think i made any argument against the point you made about comparing skaters from two separate competitions :scratch:

Ant
I didn't say you did. I was just reiterating my position of comparing scores from 2 different venues. It' a slippery sport in many cases.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
Angela N., Fumie S., Victoria V., Julia S.... They are really great skaters with good jumping technique. But they are never lucky enough to get the titles they deserve.

I don't think that there is a single title any of the skaters you mentioned "deserved" none of them have skated like world or European champions when it counted and subsequently they haven't won those titles.

Has Angela N ever skater a clean 6-7 triple program?

Has Victoria V ever skated a clean program?

Julia Sebestyen had a great couple of seasons when she won the European title but has never skated a clean 7 triple program.

And with Fumie - the only thing i can say is the fundamental flaw of the statement you make - is it luck that she hasn't won? Is it luck that someone else won? Or did the people who beat her on those occassions work hard in order to skate that little bit better in order to win them the title? I would say the latter.

Ant