The best skaters never to win big... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The best skaters never to win big...

backspin

On the Ice
There are also tons of pairs & dancers who never got the right partner, or couldn't stay with the right partner long enough, but woulda/shoulda had that magical combo ever happened. Of course Jamie Silverstein & Justin P.--I don't think we'll see another team like that for a long long time. But there are lots of others.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gotta disagree about Jenny never improving much... her final two years of skating were great... she did improve and had beautiful programs... I loved getting to see her skate in Portland at nationals. Yeah she had a rough LP, but she was still stunning, and I was way up in teh nose bleeds. She was much more fun to watch than Sasha or Michelle (for me) that year.

76olympics

On the Ice
Internationally speaking, Toller Cranston. He was Canadian champion six times but has one bronze World medal and one bronze Olympic medal. He won the free skate several times--but buried himself in the figures. He and Janet Lynn were both cursed in the era of the figures --which were not the strong suit of either. You can certainly say that both were incredibly influential as far as artistry though and both still have a strong fan base in the skating community from what I have seen on the net. There's more to a skater than a medal -though they certainly are shiny!

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Tonichelle said:
Gotta disagree about Jenny never improving much... her final two years of skating were great... she did improve and had beautiful programs... I loved getting to see her skate in Portland at nationals. Yeah she had a rough LP, but she was still stunning, and I was way up in teh nose bleeds. She was much more fun to watch than Sasha or Michelle (for me) that year.

Fair enough but the judges were never sold enough on her to make her even a usual on the U.S team, didnt she retire because she felt she had no chance to even make the 2002 U.S Olympic team with Meissner added to the mix? I thought that was the reason but I could be wrong. I believe she never once lost to Cohen as a junior as well.

One interesting thing about Jenny though is she has a very good head to head with Arakawa I believe. It is amazing how the World of womens skating is, a skater who only qualified directly for Worlds once(she went in 2002 and 2005 as well due to age ineligabiilty or withdrawals)has had alot of success vs a women who would win both the Worlds and the Olympics in her career.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm guessing you meant 2006 - and as for that, she just said she'd lost the love of the sport... and really she had retired previously, and came back, had a couple of decent seasons, and then went back home...

to be honest I think being on the other side of the US from most of her family had a lot to do with her losing her joy... much more so than competitive results

JockProf

Rinkside
I would choose Caryn Kadavy, but Daid Santee is a close second. Even in Scott Hamilton's book, he says that if he could give both 1981 US and world titles to David he would.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Kasey said:
I was thinking of this a bit during the season....some of the best skaters to never win any major competitions (by "major", I mean their own nationals, Europeans, Worlds or Olys). I would think that by including their own nationals in this, it would exclude quite a few (i.e., Delobel/Shoenfelder, Sokolova, Seguri, etc)...

The one who sticks out in my mind is Ilia Klimkin, at present. Also, I think Angela Nikodinov would fit into this, in my mind. Two hugely talented, quite popular skaters who never have hit it as big as they probably should have (although Klimkin has medaled at Euros, I think). Who else do you think would fit into this "greatest also-rans" listing?

Alexander Abt I definitately agree with, but also Rory Burghard, from Alaska, I believe.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Deanna Stellato was very very talented. I was fortunate enough to share the ice with her on a number of occasions (we skated at the same rink) and I was always in awe of her. Had she not gotten injured and had to deal with the subsequent emotional issues, there is not a doubt in my mind that she would have stepped up to become a world medalist.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JockProf said:
I would choose Caryn Kadavy, but Daid Santee is a close second. Even in Scott Hamilton's book, he says that if he could give both 1981 US and world titles to David he would.

yeah I always like reading that part in Scott's book

speaking of rival of Scott's... would Scott Cramer count? I've never seen videos or anything on him, but he seemed to be able to give all of the skaters a run for their money

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think it a great shame that Ryan Bradley's lack of competitive success keeps from the pro touring circuit -- he is such a great entertainer!

krenseby

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:

Well Jenny had several problems that kept her from being considered as a real contender by the judges... First of all, cutesy show-tunes style music. That appears as juniorish to judges. Also, cutesy/flirty/coquettish choreography that fit her music. That also came off as juniorish. All Kirk needed was dramatic classical music, dramatic gestures, and facial expressions of incredibly joy or suffering. Only that would transform her capable jumping routines into programs that appeal to judges.

Kasey

Medalist
anything_for_skating said:
Irina-never won Olys,even if she deserves it

Yes, but Irina won her Nationals, several times won Worlds, and won Euro's like 6 or 7 times. That was not the question I was asking.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Definitely Cadavy (one of my all-time favorites) and Santee. And does anyone else remember a guy in the late 80s, US skater named Erik Larson? I always thought he was terrific and would at least make a World team or two down the road, but it never happened. Rather like Delmore.

Lisa Ervin is also at the top of my list. She was just absolutely fantastic at 14, at the 92 Nats, and I expected great things from her, as did many. She is still the best 14-year-old skater I have ever seen.

I guess the jury is still out on Naomi Nari Nam?

I always thought Tiffany & Johnnie Stiegler were going to make it big, too. I saw them at 13 & 15 and couldn't believe they were that young, they had such maturity.

CDMM1991

Medalist
My pick would be Matt Savoie. He has all the makings of a US National, or even World Champion, but they're never all there at the right time. I'm sure he'll achieve tons of success in his other pursuits in life though.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Kasey said:
Yes, but Irina won her Nationals, several times won Worlds, and won Euro's like 6 or 7 times. That was not the question I was asking.

Irina won on Euros 7 times and you should know that

But she never won thing that she deserves more than anyone-OGM

Alsace

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
And does anyone else remember a guy in the late 80s, US skater named Erik Larson? I always thought he was terrific and would at least make a World team or two down the road, but it never happened.

I remember him. He had a wonderful classic line.