Skating Week | Golden Skate

Skating Week

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
We use to do a thread every week on how everyones skating is going. So I thought I would start a new thread to see how everyone is doing with their skating.

I've been back on the ice now for about two months since my "retirement". I'm still working on my adult bronze mif test and I feel I am getting more power and speed. I'm trying to work on my upper body keeping my head up and eyes forward. Still not sure when I want to test again.

As for my jumps and spins they were pretty good today. I am able to keep my camel spin going (6-7 rev) and I am working on a camel, sit spin combo. My back spin today was the best I have done. I am getting the hang of it and am finally spinning more then two times around!:laugh:

I have a bad habit on my loop jump of putting my free foot down when I land the jump. But today I was able to do my loop jump (4 times) without putting my foot down. Yes, I landed my loop jump on one foot!:clap:

Let us know how your skating is going.

Alsace

On the Ice
I'm glad to hear that you are skating again and with goals in mind, to boot!

I, on the other hand, am not skating right now. (pout)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
good to hear your retirement announcement was premature!!!! good luck as you continue!

icy fresh

On the Ice
I'm now working on my Junior moves, my last bronze dance, and the 14Step, which is very fun!

I'm now landing axel, double salchow, double toe, and double loop fairly consistently! The past year has been under construction. I worked so hard for months on some jumps and finally it seems like everythig is coming together! I've decided to do regionals this fall so I have a lot of work to do! I've been working on countless spin variations like the butt spin, pancake, cannonball, twisted back sit, sideways leaning layback, and catchfoot. In addition, my felxibility has improved so much. I've been stretching day after day and it has given me so many more options for my spiral sequence. Right now, my coach and I are in the process of re-choreographing my program!!

I'm glad to hear everyone is doin well! :agree:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
dlkksk8fan said:
We use to do a thread every week on how everyones skating is going. So I thought I would start a new thread to see how everyone is doing with their skating.

I've been back on the ice now for about two months since my "retirement". I'm still working on my adult bronze mif test and I feel I am getting more power and speed. I'm trying to work on my upper body keeping my head up and eyes forward. Still not sure when I want to test again.

As for my jumps and spins they were pretty good today. I am able to keep my camel spin going (6-7 rev) and I am working on a camel, sit spin combo. My back spin today was the best I have done. I am getting the hang of it and am finally spinning more then two times around!:laugh:

I have a bad habit on my loop jump of putting my free foot down when I land the jump. But today I was able to do my loop jump (4 times) without putting my foot down. Yes, I landed my loop jump on one foot!:clap:

Let us know how your skating is going.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
After wining Nats, there are only off ices left to me, because our skating season ended, the rink is colsed and we have nowhere to skate!!!!!!!!! I am crying very often and this thing is just killing me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Toni-
How is your little brother doing with his skating?

Unfortunately he's done for the summer, lack of ice keeps him from taking lessons... but he plans to work on some of the moves on his rollerblades (though he says he's afraid of lunges lol)

hopefully he'll get to come to Anchorage and skate around on some ice up here once in a while :)

evenstar

Final Flight
I've had a satisfactory skating week, mostly trying to get double loop consistent and working on double flip.

CDMM1991

Medalist
My skating's been going well. We're just finishing up my programs for next season, and I can't wait till the choreography is done and I just work on a complete program. We're just working on keeping all my doubles consistent and some double-double-double combos and a bit of double axel and triple sal.

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
I have to say that I'm feeling really good about my skating right now. I've just gotten past a month of not being able to get together with my coach, on top of my job only letting me get to the rink on the weekends, but somehow I've been able to not let that get to me, and everything is feeling really comfortable. I'm certainly not up to the levels that others have discussed here, but my two foot spin felt the best it's ever felt this week, and I'm finally conquering the inside open Mohawk. I didn't think I'd ever get that move.

I'm very proud to say that I'm feeling so confident right now that I think I'm actually going to participate in an Adult Training Camp this summer...and for me...that says A LOT!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I'm feeling...guardedly good. I have a tendency to get a thousand-yard stare when things start going wrong, to the point of "my self-worth as a person for the rest of the day is solely determined by whether or not I stop screwing up this element" so I try not to obsess over little things. I'm working on pre-juv moves and on the Swing and Fiesta Tango. I actually did the real pattern of back threes today for the first time. It's not good and it's not fast enough, but it's a pattern. It's taken me since the beginning of April to get to the point where I can do the back threes consistently. Power pulls--they're actually starting to be power pulls, now if I can just get MORE power on the back ones and stop drifting into the boards on the back left. (Back power pulls are easier, they say? It is to laugh.) The five-step mohawk is coming along. I can't wait until I can do things that require stepping onto outside edges, though. I hate the LFI-RBI mohawk especially.

Oh, I did a COE spiral today, just to see if I could. Standard spiral position, just my easy foot (LFO to LFI) but I haven't really done one before (we don't work on spirals in my lessons because there aren't any on the MIF tests right now and it's not a dance move.) I spent a bit too much time trying to get on the inside edge, but especially the second try it did change.

Lanie

On the Ice
I got a hip pointer from working on the loop so then the next session my coach had me work on attitude, layback and sit spins. My sit spin is good, the others need help since she's very picky about leg position--I want to keep it up higher, she wants it to be kept down. LOL. I worked on half flip and half Lutz too but I always do full rotations and it's driving my coach insane. I don't know why I can't do a half flip or a half Lutz! I'm havig problems with the Lutz set-up though, the back glide... I feel so wobbly I don't trust myself to pick very often!

icy fresh

On the Ice
I don't really see the point in learning 1/2 flips and 1/2 lutzes. No one really uses them in their programs. I learned my 1/2 flip and lutz not too long before I took my pre-preliminary freestyle test! I just think of doing a bunny hop when I do them. They're so useless, though, it's funny.

:rofl:

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
Eh, my week has been so-so. I've been off most of the week because the dance dept at my school (I go to a school for the performing arts) has kept me up at school until 7pm. I've only gotten in 2 practices so far.

My doubles are getting REALLY nice. My double sal and loop are very nice. I'm having some trouble with the double toe, and my coach is making me do them from a back pivot to remedy the situation, not fun! My double flip was really consistent last week, but now I've got a jelly-leg sensation from being off and also from too much dance (they always make me turn the other way!). Hopefully I will get to learn the double lutz soon, and my goal is to at least start(even if it's just preliminary drills) the double axel by the end of the summer.

A couple of weeks ago my spins were terrible, then I got my blades sharpened for the first time since Christmas :lol: ! Yeah, they're better now. My flying camel was really good(The most I ever counted was 6 revolutions), but they're slowly dying. My main problem is that I need to skate more and get out of school for the summer(having a lesson more than once a week will help too)!!

Lanie

On the Ice
I finally found that 'sweet spot' on my blade so I can get myself into nice, fast scratch spins and sit spins now. Whee--hee!

I am still having loop problems as well as Lutz problems. I'm just too... not scared of taking off, I just don't quite get my body to do it, if this makes ANY sense, esp on the loop. We've tried three-turn into loop and I'm now doing back x-overs into the loop which seems to work better but again I just cannot get any height when I jump, period (it was the same in ballet too). Anyone have any advice? Harness doesn't help much.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Lanie said:
I finally found that 'sweet spot' on my blade so I can get myself into nice, fast scratch spins and sit spins now. Whee--hee!

I am still having loop problems as well as Lutz problems. I'm just too... not scared of taking off, I just don't quite get my body to do it, if this makes ANY sense, esp on the loop. We've tried three-turn into loop and I'm now doing back x-overs into the loop which seems to work better but again I just cannot get any height when I jump, period (it was the same in ballet too). Anyone have any advice? Harness doesn't help much.

I have had so many problems with my loop it drives me insane...pretty much three years and its come and gone...gone...gone...come and then gone again. I had reasonable success with the RFI three turn entrance - the rise for the turn, bend for the exit edge and spring for the jump gave me the rhythm i needed for the jump. Coach then wanted me to do it from LFO three turn step to RBO edge entrance which i found almost impossible. The thing that's made this easier is working on my backspin. I find that no matter how bad the practice of the backspin goes it always makes my loop better.

The main thing that goes wrong with my jump when i don't get any height on the jump is usually that i've let my upper body start rotating into the jump before i jump and it kills the height. When i focus on keeping my right arm (i'm an anti-clockwise jumper) back and left arm checked in front of me, keep my head looking back in the direction of travel and keep them checked until after i've jumped and then as i'm jumping bring my arms in not around and keep my shoulders square rather than coming round it feels like my arms keep my body upright and i actually have a solid BO edge to jump off and i get greater height.

Hope that made sense and was helpful!

Ant

icy fresh

On the Ice
Lanie, try going into your loop with a lot of speed. When you're ready to take off, make sure that your knees are bent as low as they can go and then push off your toe picks. Once you're in the air, makes sure that your toes are pointed. I've been doing loops for about 3 years now and I'm now landing double loops.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Sometimes too much speed isn't a good thing for the loop jump. When I am having trouble with it I slow down my speed and make sure my body positions are correct.

I usually do a loop jump from back cross overs. I do back crossovers, then I set up with legs parallel, then cross the left leg over the right set my arms and then from back edge bend my knees and jump. Keep back straight and eyes forward.

To get height you need strength, so do some strength training for your legs.

sparkskater

Rinkside
Mmmm...interesting week everyone, well, this week I'm missing a one day of skating :( because of a music theory exam tomorrow but I go back on Sunday :). Anyways, tonight, I was doing prelim. skills with my "dance" coach and fixing up my European as well. Then, I worked on axel axel sequence (but i need more speed on my exit to go IMMEDIATELY, no steps or hops inbetween, into my second axel)

So then, my coach told me to do double loops, just needed right positions and at the end, landed one with hand down but o well, not my greatest jump day today. Then double flips were even worse :p but I finally managed to land one today haha, and then the double toes were pretty good today. Attempted a double sal at the very end of the session (when zamboni was coming out) so I rushed it and overrotated it but o well....not a really exciting session today but hope to get better next time I'm on the ice. :D