How to do a basic two foot spin? | Golden Skate

How to do a basic two foot spin?

dugyiho

Rinkside
Can anyone explain how to do a basic two foot spin? ( Step by step) My daughter is taking figure skating and she really wants to how to spin.

Alsace

On the Ice
Well, if she's taking lessons in ISIA, she will soon learn. I think they showed me how in Pre-Alpha or Alpha, though it was from a stand-still. That's when I learned that I was a "lefty" in skating terms and rotate clockwise. We stood on the balls of both feet (note: not the toe-picks), pulled our arms out to the side opposite the direction we wanted to spin, quickly swung them in the spinning direction, pulled them into our chests and spun about 1 revolution!

dugyiho

Rinkside
They did teach her, but I guess her being only 3 year old, she didn't catch all the steps. So when she ask me how to do it when she gets home, I didn't have an answer for her since I never took figure skating. I watch her lessons, I saw what they did with their arms. Winding them up one way then swing the opposite direction then closing both arms into their chest. But I didn't quite catch what they did with their feet. Are the both blades supposed to be flat on the ice? Or is the skater supposed to be on their toes /or heels? What is the position of the feet? Is it a V-position ? Also, when they start to spin, do you have to use one feet to push off to start, or you will automatically spin after you do your arm movements?

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
I help teach USFSA classes(hey, it gets me free ice time), and the 2 fott spin set at the Basic 3 level. If your kid's class advances quickly in Basic 2, they will learn the 2 foot spin.

Also, don't be afraid to ask a coach, that's what they're paid to do!

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
dugyiho said:
They did teach her, but I guess her being only 3 year old, she didn't catch all the steps. So when she ask me how to do it when she gets home, I didn't have an answer for her since I never took figure skating. I watch her lessons, I saw what they did with their arms. Winding them up one way then swing the opposite direction then closing both arms into their chest. But I didn't quite catch what they did with their feet. Are the both blades supposed to be flat on the ice? Or is the skater supposed to be on their toes /or heels? What is the position of the feet? Is it a V-position ? Also, when they start to spin, do you have to use one feet to push off to start, or you will automatically spin after you do your arm movements?

Are. . . .flat on the ice? - Sort of, its more like the upper part of the blade (b/w the middle and the toepick)
Or. . . .heels? - The skater should put pressure on the ball of his/her foot
What. . . .feet? - They should be parallel (6th position in Ballet)
Also. . . .movements? - There definetely should be a push off with one of the feet (a skater spins primarily on 1 foot and uses the other to kick start the spin)

dugyiho

Rinkside
Thanks, Sheri.
Also, what is 6th position in ballet? Sorry, not too familiar with ballet terms.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
dugyiho said:
Thanks, Sheri.
Also, what is 6th position in ballet? Sorry, not too familiar with ballet terms.

Just your feet side-by-side, like when you stand up and your feet are parellel Like this [] []

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Here's how they start us off:
Plant one toepick into the ice,bend that knee.
The other foot, slightly pigeontoed, is going to do a forward swizzle, your arms are out for balance, slightly below shoulder level.
At the end of the swizzle, you need to simultaneously bring your feet close together, straighten the bent knee, drop from the toepick to the front of the blade (right below the ball of that foot) and transfer the weight on the other foot towards the heel.
Don't go for speed, you'll get dizzy and fall, go for balance and smoothness, speed will come later.