Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter, Book #5- Spoilers

Show 42

Harry Potter, Book #5- Spoilers

This is for anyone who wants to discuss Rowlings latest book. I've only read the first four chapters, but so far am totally pleased that she has picked up the same "literary rhythm" from where she left off in #4. As much as one wants to dislike the Dursleys, it is, I think, a good basis to begin each new book. Was anyone surprised to see a bit of "humanity" hidden in Aunt Petunia? That one knocked me for a loop. Any comments thus far? 42

RealtorGal

Re: Harry Potter, Book #5-First Four Chapters-Spoilers

<span style="color:teal;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">There is an unfinished story there. Somehow I'm sure it had to do with the death of her sister and the guilt she feels over it. It was the note that threw her and made her insist on Harry staying there. </span>

Show 42

Do you think, then that the voice was her sister's voice? You are further ahead than me, RGal, I just started chapter 7. I was also happy to see that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley have a more expanded part this time. I always thought they were interesting, and enjoy their further character development. 42

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Oh, I hadn't thought of that! That would be freaky (but great)! That Umbidge woman is just about the most horrible character we've seen yet! (Wonder who will play her in the movie?) She gets worse and worse with every chapter.</span>

RealtorGal

<span style="colorurple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">What I really love is how so many characters from previous books are making appearances in this one (Lupin, Firenze, etc.)</span>

Show 42

In total agreement, RGal.......and finally, we get to see the inside of the "Ministry of Magic". ( I keep trying to picture how everything will look once it gets to the big screen). I love the way "ordinary occurrences" take on a new meaning......the horseless carriages that take the students to Hogswort are actually not, and now why does Harry suddenly see the animals? I'm finished with Chapter 12 now......silly everyday occurrences of life keep interfering with my reading........42

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I finished the book! It was fantastic! Well, I've already decided that Kathy Bates would make a wonderful Umbridge. Although there is absolutely no reason really for me to think so, I believe that Ron and Hermione will end up together. (He seems to be jealous of her continued correspondence with Viktor and she seems to be aware on some level that she is making him jealous.) Also, I believe that in the end of the series Arthur Weasley will become Minister of Magic. Just a feeling.

Also, the person who dies was not at all who I expected, but it was something I could live with, although it was a surprise and, of course, sad.</span>:(

dewet

I also think Ron and Hermione will end up together.

Aurthur Weasley will NOT be Minister of Magic, he's too fond on Muggles.

The death was sudden and sad.:(

I was waiting throughout the book for bad things to happen to Umbrige. I was pleased to see Fred and George walk, I mean fly, out on her, and getting frustrated numerous times.

dewet

oops... double post

MoonliteSonata

I thought the book was excellent! As Rgal said, I also liked the appearances of previous characters. Took me five hours to finish. That Umbridge woman is pure evil. "hem hem"

dewet

Only 5 hours?

heyang

I don't know if she's still alive, but here's the bio for my choice for the role of Prof Umbridge:

Standing 4'3", and possessed of a nails-on-the-blackboard speaking voice, actress <strong>Zelda Rubinstein</strong> will probably never essay a "normal" characterization. She was appropriately cast as one of the Little People in her first film, Under the Rainbow (1981). Her best-remembered screen role was Tangina, the disastrously self-assured exorcist in the first two Poltergeist films. Zelda's declaration that "This house is clean" has to be the most famous speaking-too-soon miscalculations in movie history. She was later seen in oddball minor roles as domineering mamas, witches, snoops and gamblers. TV fans know Zelda Rubinstein best as Ginny Weedon on the weekly cult favorite Picket Fences (1992-95). ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

I've started reading on Friday and am 1/2 done. It was a little harder to 'get into' this one IMO because there were so many characters I couldn't recall. I read the 1st 4 in rapid sequence and the 2 year wait for this book prevents me from remembering all the details. It's coming back to me now. Definitely enjoying this book...

Show 42

Yes, I finished at 1:30 a.m........and into major "withdrawal". I love the way she parallels the "magical" society with our own. I love the concept of O.W.L.S and N.E.W.T.S and career planning day........I must admit, I didn't figure out who the possible person was that would "bite the bullet" until nearly the end. There were about four other people who I felt sure would be chosen to go. I think the choice was inevitable, but sad none the less..........42

Possible choices for Umbridge (is she awful or what?) Bates and Rubenstein would be good choices. This person needs to be short and heavy set.....what about the lady who plays Raymond's mother in "Raymond"? 42

guinevere

Re: HP #5

I just finished it last night!! Woo!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It was a little harder to 'get into' this one IMO because there were so many characters I couldn't recall. I read the 1st 4 in rapid sequence and the 2 year wait for this book prevents me from remembering all the details.[/quote]

That's exactly what happened to me. I had a plan of rereading the 4th book prior to starting this one, just because it was so dense - but I don't own any of the 1st 3 books, and I couldn't wait after buying the 5th! But now I feel as though I need to reread both the 3rd and 4th books. I figured out most of what was going on, but I would love to actually remember it all. I do love that Rowling doesn't waste time in the book going over what's happened before though!

I loved the Weasley twins' exit from school.

How about Roseanne to play Umbridge? I doubt she'd be able to pull it off without letting 'Roseanne' shine through, but I bet she would look perfect.

I can't believe I'll have to wait another 2 years (?) for the next one!!!!!!!!

guinevere

Ptichka

Re: HP #5

I liked the book (finished it in 2 days), but I cannot say I enjoyed it as much as I did the first 3. I think in the first few books, you get enchanted with the whole concept of this new world. Books 4 and 5 -- I don't think they are less well written, but to me they are not nearly as "Wow". (This is NOT a criticism of Rowling, this is what very often happens to fantasy series)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast