would you add synchro?

• yes

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • no

Votes: 22 43.1%

• Total voters

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Absolutely. If they can put in 25 different snowboarding variations when snowboarding's only been part of the Olys for what, 3, 4?, Olys, then another discipline of FS should certainly get in there.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It is boring to do and impossible to watch. We have enough problems with people not taking ice skating seriously as a sport.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I would certainly watch Synchro (tho it's not a discipline I'm especially fond of) over Team Rhythmic Gymnastics or Team Synchronized Swimming, both of which are, or have been, in the summer Olys. Team Rythmic Gymnastics looks like something out of the Moscow Olympics opening ceremony (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be a bit MUCH) and as for Team synchronized swimming -- the one time I saw it, I seriously thought someone had slippped a hallucinogen into whatever I was drinking at the time -- BIZARRE.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I wouldn't add any more sports to the Olympics. I do agree that synchro skating should be treated the same as synchronized swiming, but then again I wold get the latter out as well. Also, according to the Olympic rules only sports that exist for both genders may be added to the Games, and synchro skating only exists for females.

The Olympics are so out of control - they should be shrunk a bit (through, admittedly, it's more of a problem with Summer Olympics). I am glad baseball/ softball is out, and that the comittee voted against adding squash (though I was surprised they voted against adding karate - its the kind of sport that IMHO really belongs in the Olympics). Will I now be burned at the Golde Skate stake for thinking that karate belongs in the Olympics over a type of skating ? (though, admittedly, I would be more likely to watch the skating).

Last edited:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Synchro in a nice hobby. It gives kids something to do. It keeps them off of the street and promotes fitness. It is boring and is not great skating. I was involved in Synchro as a kid and on a competitive adult team until I was so bored by nature of it all that I quit. IMO why would anyone want to do Synchro when you could do some real skating? Could they actually sell a ticket to anyone other than a family member? I serioously doubt it.

Kasey

Medalist
Ptichka said:
Will I now be burned at the Golde Skate stake for thinking that karate belongs in the Olympics over a type of skating ? (though, admittedly, I would be more likely to watch the skating).

Nope. I wouldn't watch synchro. The few times it's been a part at a live event I've been at, it's my bathroom break. Different strokes for different folks and all, but I find it really boring.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
There are many girls who I know that stoped fgure skating because they weren't good or they didn't have enough time, or school...or, face the true- it's too hard to be a skater, especially in conditions like this, when you live in Serbia. But hey- they were on ice for like 7 or something years...why quit? So they found their place in synchro team.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
If nothing else, I think synchro should be an exhibition sport. I'm on a synchro team, and I'll admit, it is kind of boring, but if ballroom dancing is an exhibition sport in the summer olys, synchro should at least be an exhibition too.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
mmscfdcsu said:
Synchro in a nice hobby. It gives kids something to do. It keeps them off of the street and promotes fitness. It is boring and is not great skating. I was involved in Synchro as a kid and on a competitive adult team until I was so bored by nature of it all that I quit. IMO why would anyone want to do Synchro when you could do some real skating? Could they actually sell a ticket to anyone other than a family member? I serioously doubt it.

One of my best friends is going to U of Miami just to be on the synchro team, and I support her all the way:clap: . Another one of my friends went to Synchro Worlds, and found it really fascinating. A lot of skaters I know are on synchro for the travel priveledges, and I know I've made hundreds of friends going to all the competitions. I'm a pretty decent singles skater(I have 4 of the 6 doubles), but I still like synchro for the tight-knit friendships, and the new experiences. Many girls that I know are really strong skaters, but don't have the jumps or spins to do high level competition, so they get their "Sectional" and "National" moment through Synchro.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Sk8Gr808 said:
One of my best friends is going to U of Miami just to be on the synchro team, and I support her all the way:clap: . Another one of my friends went to Synchro Worlds, and found it really fascinating. A lot of skaters I know are on synchro for the travel priveledges, and I know I've made hundreds of friends going to all the competitions. I'm a pretty decent singles skater(I have 4 of the 6 doubles), but I still like synchro for the tight-knit friendships, and the new experiences. Many girls that I know are really strong skaters, but don't have the jumps or spins to do high level competition, so they get their "Sectional" and "National" moment through Synchro.

You are totaly right.
Look, I am a skater, I skate figure and synchro (in both junior and novice teams) and I am totaly free to say that I like figure more. But the thing I must admit is that the feeling when your team is on the ice, going into a straight line steps for example, so powerful, so strong, and the crowd is going crazy while you are smiling like you ever smiled before...is just great...
Of course, as in figure...

I'm sure Esther Williams would vote yes here. Why not? It's harmless but I'm sure there will be a lot of politicking for gold

It's like a vote for the best corps de patinage.

Joe

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
No, it would totally cut into the time of the ones already being shown during the Olympics. Time-zones can't be helped, but they're frustrating enough without having to squeeze in another field of skating.