Mao or Stephane? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao or Stephane?

Sequins, Bangels and Beads - not to mention Rhinestones. However, these trimmings didn't come about until Hollywood got a hold our mother of all figure skaters, Sonia Henie. Then it became a must for Lady figure skaters. It was Sonia who cut the skirt down to size - most feminine thing to hit sports.

Since style in figure skating develops I prefer to see basic costuming with a sprinkling of sequins for the Ladies and none for the Men. However, in Show Skating let the costume designer do his thing.

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
World Champion: Jamal Othman
Silver Medallist: Shawn Sawyer
Bronze Medallist: Rohene Ward

You don't think Mao could beat them? She's a lot more consistent on the jumps.

shine

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
World Champion: Jamal Othman
Silver Medallist: Shawn Sawyer
Bronze Medallist: Rohene Ward
Why isn't Rohene Ward the World champ here instead?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
gkelly said:
You don't think Mao could beat them? She's a lot more consistent on the jumps.
But their spins and spirals are so much better, not to mention their interpretation and choreography :)

Ward would have to be the Ward of practices, though, and not the Ward of Nationals.

Actually, I was thinking what would happen if the Men's and Ladies' competitions were still separate, but the requirements were the same.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Actually, I was thinking what would happen if the Men's and Ladies' competitions were still separate, but the requirements were the same.

I would like this too, although not being a woman I have no idea how the upper weight portion of the body comes into play with trying to do a Quad. Maybe Triples are all that are required is the best way to go there. It is allot like NASCAR having restrictor plates, or Bobsled weight requirements / restrictions. Well that might not be that great of examples. But just as they have requirements, the could also have "restrictions" or "just no extra points for."

In reality, I am sure they will never combine the 2 - men's and women's. The Oscars and Grammy's etc.. all adapted the title of Actress ONLY to give awards to Men AND Women. Actors were Actors no matter the gender before that. It is nice to have the two events, yet it would be nice to maybe start a new one that combines them, JAT. "5 Continents"?:laugh:

hockeyfan228 said:
That would be interesting. There is no requirement that anyone, man or lady, do a quad or a triple Axel -- bring it if you've got it!

IMHO the main difference seem to be that the fragile ladies are expected only to muster enough endurance to skate for 4 minutes, while the robust men can do 4 and a half (plenty of time for that eight jumping pass).

But, like Gkelly says, they would have to broaden the spin and spiral requirements to allow different styles an equal chance to garner points. It wouldn't be fair to penalize Plushenko because he can't get his leg up as high as Sasha on a spiral. :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
It wouldn't be fair to penalize Plushenko because he can't get his leg up as high as Sasha on a spiral. :)

I would think that if he can do a Quad and get points there then that would make up for not getting your leg as high, or a decent sitspin for that matter. ?

seanibu said:
Does anyone know why this was a "requirement" [for ladies to wear skirts] in the first place. Pretty silly requirement IMO.

Was this lifted from the SP at the Olys only and where / what was it first lifted - what event?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the new dress code applies to both long and short programs equally, and allows ladies to wear pants or tights (so something like Irina's SP cat suit would be OK).

The new rule came into effect after the 2004 season and applies to all ISU sanctioned events.

I think the reason for the rule in the first place was that they wanted the ladies to be "ladylike." I believe that what they objected to (and still do) is "theatrical" show-girl type outfits. The costume that Katarina Witt wore that raised such a hulabaloo, I don' t think it was that she was showing too much leg, but rather that she looked like a feather dancer on the runway.

The language of the ISU regulation is that skaters' costumes must be "modest, dignified, and appropriate for athletic competition."

Now if someone can just explain to me exactly what is "modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition" about the traditional bob-tail fly-up skating skirt, with wedgie-drawers underneath and a top with illusion fabric down to whoa-there...

MM ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MM makes me happy!

Mathman said:
... I think that the new dress code applies to both long and short programs equally... all ISU sanctioned events.

I think the reason for the rule in the first place was that they wanted the ladies to be "ladylike."

If this is true - not doubting it sounds like it's "maybe" - that is great news. I was under the impression that it was only aloud in the SP at the Olys. But again, hope I am wrong. I am glad to hear someone say they think this is across the board regarding all events. Score one for self-expression!

Mathman said:
Now if someone can just explain to me exactly what is "modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition" about the traditional bob-tail fly-up skating skirt, with wedgie-drawers underneath and a top with illusion fabric down to whoa-there...

MM ;)

This is much of my confusion on where this rule came from. It seemed to me like the "comity" decided that the Ladies should HAVE TO wear....in order to be a lady. It sounds like egocentric male chauvinists to me. Why should that be a rule? And what is more "appropriate for athletic competition" than a outfit .... well you understand.

It is really just a wondering of why would they not just say "...costumes must be "modest, dignified, and appropriate for athletic competition," and leave it at that? Why put the "skirt" as a requirement. Particularly after Equal Rights. This should have changed sooner. Anyway, glad they can wear what they want - and I hope it is everywhere.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
If this is true - not doubting it sounds like it's "maybe" - that is great news. I was under the impression that it was only aloud in the SP at the Olys. But again, hope I am wrong. I am glad to hear someone say they think this is across the board regarding all events.

The rules definitely apply across the board to all competitions and i'm almost 100% sure it applied to the LP at the Olympics too because Sarah Meier wore the same costumes at worlds as she did in the Olympics - yellow dress in the SP and the fantastic all in one for her LP and i don't think she received any type of costume deduction at either Olympics or Worlds.

Ant

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
They do apply across the board. Meier and Liashenko (West Side Story) both wore bodysuits for their LP's.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
They do apply across the board. Meier and Liashenko (West Side Story) both wore bodysuits for their LP's.

I really feel foolish here because Sara's LP was one of my favorite outfits. Seani gets the double duh!

I hope I make you "guys" feel better about yourselves, no matter how foolish you may feel - you can look at seanibu and say "I'm not that dumb.":laugh: