Good news for dance testers! | Golden Skate

Good news for dance testers!

Alsace

On the Ice
http://www.usfsa.org/content/COMBINED ROA Oct 05 -May 06.pdf

pages 19-20
To adjust the Average Passing Marks for a Standard Compulsory Dance at each successive level to those of
similar levels in the other disciplines.
Singles Pairs MIF Free Dance Compulsory
Dance
Existing Proposed
Preliminary P/R P/R
Pre-Bronze 3.0 2.5
Bronze 3.3 2.7
Pre-Silver 3.7 3.0
Silver 4.0 3.5
Pre-Gold 4.2 4.0
Gold 4.5 4.5

94. APPROVED - Dance Committee
To amend the Passing averages for Adult and Masters Compulsory Dances according to the table as shown below.
Level Standard Adult Masters
Gold 4.5 4.2 3.7
Pre-Gold 4.0 3.7 3.2
Silver 3.5 3.2 2.8
Pre-Silver 3.0 2.8 2.6
Bronze 2.7 2.6 2.4
Pre-Bronze 2.5 2.4 2.3
Preliminary P/R P/R P/R

Good news for dance viewers!

100. APPROVED - Dance Committee
Rules 4415 (A)(3), page 237, 4425 (A)(3), page 239, and 4435 (A)(3), page 241, Free Dance lifts – to amend as
follows:
Lifts should be aesthetically pleasing to the viewer or deductions will be taken by the judges . An upside down split pose is not permitted in any type of lift and
it will be called as an illegal element.

What happens to a lift that is called 'an illegal element?'

Does it mean just no score to be made - or - does it mean no score + penalty?

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
I was confused about that. According to the protocol, they got no credit for the lift, but they didn't get a deduction:
http://stlouis2006.usfigureskating.org/upload/general/news/seniorpairs-report.pdf

However, according to ISU Communication no. 1319, there should have been a deduction:

There must be a 2.0 point deduction for every illegal element/movement included in the program.
Remarks:
If there is an illegal hold during a lift, the complete lift will receive no level and therefore also no value.
The deduction for an illegal element will apply.

That would have put them 7th instead of 5th in the freeskate.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I have to say, lowering the passing average for the dances is NOT good news. The Willow Waltz that I tested (and deservedly failed) back in January would have passed under the new scores. That just shouldn't happen.