Figure Skating Discipline Favorite | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Discipline Favorite

Which skating discipline do you favor above all others?

• Ladies

Votes: 50 36.2%
  • Men

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • Pairs

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Dance

Votes: 20 14.5%

• Total voters

antmanb

Record Breaker
It was a tough one but i had to go with Pairs. It was Pairs that got my interest going in figure skating even though over the years my interest in Pairs has very much depended on the skaters at the time...overall though, over the years, the Pairs has been the one i've most been interested in.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess Men... though I love to watch them all... but I have the most interest in the men's

and no, Joe, before we get into the hottie discussion that's not the reason. I just enjoy what they offer far more than the other disiplines... I always have a favorite in men's... whereas right now I don't have a fav. pairs team, and ladies I've never cared too much about... Ice Dance = I really only like the US teams lol

evenstar

Final Flight
It had to be Pairs for me! I've always loved the power, and many of my favorite skaters are pairs. Shen/Zhao- love 'em!

It used to be Pairs for me but in the past few years, it has, imo, become less of actual skating and more of crossovers into acrobatic lifts. Not my cup of tea.

I now think the guys have it over the ladies, and I would like to see Stephane win a third Worlds which would be creeping towards my favorite male skater's 4 Worlds.

This season I am interested in Kimmie's improvements and see how they stack up with Mao and Yu na.

I've also gotten into liking Juniors and hoping the medalists remain in competition.
Tommy Steenberg and Caroline Zhang will be heavily scrutinized by me.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do love the men's discipline first.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - you'd think i'd know this, but who do you consider your favorite male skater? I'm guessing it's Kurt? (if Stephane wins his third, and then fourth, consecutively he'll somewhat surpass both Kurt and Yagudin with 4 consecutive titles... a feat that was last done by Scott Hamilton ;))

Tonichelle said:
Joe - you'd think i'd know this, but who do you consider your favorite male skater? I'm guessing it's Kurt? (if Stephane wins his third, and then fourth, consecutively he'll somewhat surpass both Kurt and Yagudin with 4 consecutive titles... a feat that was last done by Scott Hamilton ;))
You guessed Kurt correctly, Toni. He's my fav but I still have to see more of Stephane to see if I will change faves.

I didn't know Yagudin had 4 Worlds. Good for him! And only Hamilton got 4 consecutively. hmm.

If Stephane's knee holds up, he could, theoretically, win 3 more before 2010 and another right after the Olys. That would total 5 plus 1 and maybe an Oly.
Good boy.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
You guessed Kurt correctly, Toni. He's my fav but I still have to see more of Stephane to see if I will change faves.

I didn't know Yagudin had 4 Worlds. Good for him! And only Hamilton got 4 consecutively. hmm.

If Stephane's knee holds up, he could, theoretically, win 3 more before 2010 and another right after the Olys. That would total 5 plus 1 and maybe an Oly.
Good boy.

Joe

Now I'm worried... I thought Yags got four... I'm pretty sure he's a 4time world champ... hmmmmmmmm lol

Scott's not the only one who's done it consecutively, but he's the last one to have done so IIRC :)

Tonichelle said:
Now I'm worried... I thought Yags got four... I'm pretty sure he's a 4time world champ... hmmmmmmmm lol

Scott's not the only one who's done it consecutively, but he's the last one to have done so IIRC :)
Uncle Dick must have gotten his consecutively. I'm not sure of Yags either and no one seems to be correcting us.

Interesting the poll has men tied with ladies. Are we getting tired of the glitz and looking more to the sport?

Joe

Yags has four, but not consecutively (Plushenko won in 2001.)

Dick Button had five world championships, consecutively from 1948 to 1952.

Ulrich Salchow had five consectuive championships twice -- 1901-1905 and 1907-1911 (he did not compete in 2006).

Hayes Alan Jenkins also got four in a row, 1953-56 (then his brother took over and won the next three).

Willi Bockel won four in a row from 1925 to 1928.

And the record for consecutive world championships (men): Karl Shafer with 7, 1930-1937.

Joe, I agree with you about the men getting to be more interesting to watch than the ladies. I don't know if the CoP is to blame or not, but it seems like under the new judging system the ladies are all about getting in the maximum number of jumps, with a triple/triple if at all possible, and letting everything else go.

The men, on the other hand, seem to be leading the way with better choreography, more attention to musical expression -- even better spins and moves in the field.

JMHO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
evenstar said:
C'mon guys! Let's get some pairs voting going on here!

I will have to give mention to Pairs being the second favorite of mine, I love the daring combined with artistic beauty. But as Joesitz was saying, it is not that much that way for me, but a touch more of the "circusy" than just sheer beauty and splendor.

I am still surprised to see this so even, that's great!:agree:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
In theory -- I like Dance the best.

The reason I say "in theory" is because I think Dance at its finest (Torvill & Dean, Blumberg & Seibert, Anissina & Peizerat [half the time), Denkova & Staviysky, among others) is the finest skating one can see. However -- it depends on the year. Some seasons there has been not one program in the Dance category that even remotely interests me . This is in large part due to the ISU's tendency to change the rules every season so some years are more restrictive on the free dances than others. (And it seems like after a season that features a lot of really good interesting free dances, the ISU clamps down all the harder and the following year anything but a 4-minute compulsory dance is strictly frowned upon). This year, the free dances of Denkova/Staviysky (who IMO are always a ray of hope in any season) and Deloebel/Schoenfelder showed me why I like this category so much.

Vash01

Medalist
I voted for pairs because that has been the most interesting discipline for me. However, with the arrival of COP they have become more mechanical/tricks oriented and have lost their charm somewhat (particularly Zhang & Zhang style of skating does nothing for me). Right now mens discipline is the most interesting and exciting to me. They combine athletics with artistry very well. The ladies don't seem to challenge themselves as much as the men. Most ladies are still doing 3lutz-2toe as their most difficult combination. Occasionally we see a 3Z-3t or 3Z-3R, and quite often it gets downgraded. Men just seem to have more excitement to their skating right now.

Vash