Ryan Jahnke - Year in Review | Golden Skate

Ryan Jahnke - Year in Review

S

SkateFan4Life

Ryan Jahnke - Year in Review

Here's a link to US bronze medalist Ryan Jahnke's memorable year as a competitve figure skater. I was so happy that he finally won a spot on the World Team this year. Ryan is a complete skater - with wonderful choregraphy and style. Granted, he's had his problems with the triple axel, and he doesn't have a quad, so he's probably never going to medal at Worlds and/or the Olympics, but he's a step above some of the male skaters who jump, jump, jump, and lack refinement in their skating, in my opinion.

www.usfsa.org/news/2002-0...siteid=983

M

mathman444

Re: Ryan Jahnke - Year in Review

Thanks for the link, SkateFan. I like this skater. I hope that he has enough competitive success that he can join one of the big tours some day. Like Matt Savoie, he has a pleasing lyrical style that he presents well to the audience.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Don't know that much about him. Seems like a nice guy. His qualifying round at Worlds was arguably lst place more than 3rd.

He's in that group of skaters who hopefully will be taking over the talk of the figure skating world. In line with Lambiel, Klimkin. Buttle, Sandhu, and Li. Men's figure skating is really moving ahead of the Ladies, imo.

Joe

T

thvudragon

I don't know how Ryan got 3rd in that Qualifying, he should have been 1st. Weiss' only quad was 2-footed, and his 3toe after it was 2-footed as well. I would have had the top 3 Qual Group B

Ryan 5.7/5.8
Weiss 5.6/5.8
Honda 5.6/5.7

TV

J

Jaana

>Joesitz
He's in that group of skaters who hopefully will be taking over the talk of the figure skating world. In line with Lambiel, Klimkin. Buttle, Sandhu, and Li.>

I saw Jahnke in Finlandia Trophy 2002, and really liked his skating style. He is though "already" 25 years old. With the exception of Li, the others are a few years younger, and Lambiel is only 18. Maybe Lambiel and Buttle could have a bit more chances of taking over the talk of the figure skating world in this group of skaters?

Marjaana

J

Joesitz

Jaana - You make good points on the up-and-coming male skaters. I think I will put a thread in the Voters Booth and see how others think.

And what about the up-and-coming ladies: any choices?

Joe

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">I would've had Jahnke above Mike, too, and Mike below Takeshi, just on general principle :lol: Okay, Takeshi fell, but darn it! You are right that Mikey two-footed the quad. As usual.

I very much enjoyed Ryan's QR skate at Worlds. I wish that had been his free skate!

Laura :) </span>

S

SkateFan4Life

In my opinion, Ryan Jahnke's overall skating is far, far superior to that of Michael Weiss. I am so sick and tired of seeing Weiss splatter all over the ice on messed up quad and triple axel attempts! He always looks as though he's straining far too much to perform the elements. After all the years he has been skating, I would think that muscle memory would take over for Weiss, and he would just do it. Unfortunately, that's not been the case.

Jahnke has problems with his triple axel, but the quality of his skating is outstanding, IMHO. Go, Ryan. I hope to watch you on television this fall on several internationals, and I hope you make the 2004 World Team.

T

thvudragon

lol, ITA. I'm hoping the National team next year is
Jahnke, Weir, and Savoie in no particular order.

TV

S

sk8guy2k2

Another "Year in Review"! These are really interesting to read. Wonder if theres any more....

S

SkateFan4Life

I agree - Weir, Jahnke, and Pennington for the 2004 World Team. I've had enough of Michael Weiss and his splattering long programs. :eek:

S

Sk8Bunny

ryan jahnke

Joesitz wrote: "Don't know that much about him. Seems like a nice guy."

For starters, Ryan is 25, and just last year got married to Tashiana Foreman, who is a really sweet young lady, and very pretty too. Ryan coaches at the World Arena Ice Hall(where he also trains). He is a terrific coach. Very professional with his coaching, but also a great guy - funny and nice. He has been coached by Diana Ronayne for his entire skating career. Seeing Ryan skate on TV doesnt even begin to do justice to seeing him skate for real. He has great power and speed, and is very artistic. He also choreographs some of his students programs and shades of Tom Dickson's work can be seen in Ryan's choreographying(is that a word?? lol). And when u mentioned that ryan 'seems like a nice guy' - he really is. He is very mature, and a great role model for all the skaters at the Broadmoor rink. He works so hard with his skating, and i hope he can continue to produce positive results with his skating again this next season. Good luck Ryan!!!!

S

SkateFan4Life

I have my fingers crossed that Ryan makes the 2004 World Team and finishes in the top ten, at lest.

Ryan is one of the few top American men who has a genuine sense of style and artistry. His choregraphy seems to come from the heart, and that makes his programs so enjoyable to watch.

Just hope Ryan has a consistent triple axel for the next season, and perhaps a quad or two!