A new Sasha Journal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A new Sasha Journal

MKFSfan

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Thanks MM. That's the one I was looking for. 2005 in Portland was its innauguration and it includes the engraving of all the gold medalists since 1914.
Apparently it is a Challenge Trophy and can not be kept by any skater.

Back to Sasha - Is she temporarily holding this trophy or is there another one which she speaks of in the journal entry?

Which skaters will have their names to be engraved by the end of January 2006? (This is a prediction question and not easy to answer.)

Joe

I thought the winners got some sort of silver trophy (tray, platter) to keep and then their names went on a challenge trophy. I haven't seen any pictures of Sasha and her 2006 trophy, but looking at this one of Michelle...:

http://jayadeff.com/US2005/IMG_2919.jpg

...is what I think they keep. I can't find a link to a picture of Michelle with what I presumed was the Challange Trophy, but I know I saw a photo of her sitting next to a the one MM posted last year. So maybe that is what Sasha is referring to as a trophy in her entry, the platter they keep?

R.D.

Record Breaker
9 times, I would think. Unless one is secretly hoping it becomes 10, somehow.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Yeah right :laugh:

of course, it's possible, but Kwan's fans better not start counting their chickens before they hatch.

nubka

Final Flight
IDLERACER said:
That thing looks like a sattelite dish.

LOL!!

I see she is wearing the snazzy gold dress from her Bolero program...do you think she was given the award as a result of the "wonderful" choreography?? I suppose the judges liked it, since she won!

Oh well, off topic once again...

nubka said:
LOL!!

I see she is wearing the snazzy gold dress from her Bolero program...do you think she was given the award as a result of the "wonderful" choreography?? I suppose the judges liked it, since she won!

Oh well, off topic once again...
I think she won the championship because she skated the best, none of her competitors rising to the challenge.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I think she won the championship because she skated the best, none of her competitors rising to the challenge.

I agree. At the 2005 Nationals, Kwan's performance in the LP was
beatable. I don't know whether it was Kwan's program or her nerves
but she was not spot on as she usually is at Nationals. She won because
her skate while slightly flawed, was better than her other competitors. JMO

nubka

Final Flight
Mathman said:

I couldn't agree with you more. Even though the program was as dull as dishwater, the judges still felt that she was the best skater there that night...

Crizzy

Rinkside
Even though the program was as dull as dishwater, the judges still felt that she was the best skater there that night...

well, that happens in this sport. just like some of Irina's program was also as dull as dishwater but she happened to skate the best of that night and won. therefore the judges have to announce a winner that is why it's called a "competition", someone always have to win and it doesn't matter if you think it's not worthy of winning.

anyway back to topic. do they really bring that huge trophy with them?

Crizzy said:
...anyway back to topic. do they really bring that huge trophy with them?
It would make more sense if the permanent trophy is kept at USFS headquarters and they just inscribe the new name, right? In that case, it would be the tray thing that the skaters actually get to take home with them, like MKFSfans says.

Last edited:
Crizzy said:
...someone always have to win and it doesn't matter if you think it's not worthy of winning.
Maybe they should do like in big time piano-playing competitions. If nobody plays very well, they just say, "no prize will be awarded this year." :)

Mathman said:
Maybe they should do like in big time piano-playing competitions. If nobody plays very well, they just say, "no prize will be awarded this year." :)
They also do that at Ballet Competitions although they do award 2nd and 3rd place prizes.

Nice thing is that one doesn't have to win to get a job with a company. The ballet scouts will give some a trial run if they like the performance of the contestant.

Joe