New Online PLUSHENKO Interview | Golden Skate

New Online PLUSHENKO Interview

antmanb

Record Breaker
Interesting article - he comes off as a class act especially with his nice comments about Joubert.

One tiny mistake in disucssing football (soccer) he refers to "Liverpool’s Manchester United" I'm sure he means England's Manchester united since Liverpool and Manchester united are very bitter rivals!

Ant

Alesya

Spectator
For the coming season I have made up my mind to not compete.

What a pity!
Excellent interview, interesting questions and interesting answers.

:clap: I love Plushenko!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
For someone who had a tendency to annoy me when he was skating, I will miss seeing him compete. He has some great aspects about his skating and his attitude was just so "Rock Star" personified, he was incredibly entertaining - In the pro circuit that just seems normal.
Sometimes I may have wished he would go away, but now that he is leaving that "arena" I am humbly disappointed.

Does this mean that he is now, "not eligible" to skate in COI?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
seanibu said:
Does this mean that he is now, "not eligible" to skate in COI?
What do you mean? COI has a bunch of pro skaters - Petrenko, Galindo, Bonaly, Anissina & Peizerat...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then (laughing) Alexei Yagudin came. He said, “Let’s go play football.” I was a kid, so what do you think I did? Of course, I started to play football, or soccer as you call it. After only 10 minutes Mishin came by and he got rather upset saying, “I told you to go home!” I said, “Okay, we’re done, I’m leaving.” Then, Mishin left. We still kept playing. Five minutes later, Mishin came back again, now only this time he was really angry. He grabbed my shoulder and dragged me to the bus, yelling, “You don’t understand what you’re doing! You’re going to really injure your knee.” When he first started to reach for me, I tried to block him with my right hand and in the process broke my finger.
That story made me laugh. Boys will be boys.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
That story made me laugh. Boys will be boys.
True, but I bet most American parents would not just wave it off like that.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What a great interview. I like Plushy's sense of humor. Thanks for posting.

antmanb said:
One tiny mistake in disucssing football (soccer) he refers to "Liverpool’s Manchester United" I'm sure he means England's Manchester united since Liverpool and Manchester united are very bitter rivals!
I think it's just a grammatical error. He says "Liverpool and Manchester United is" instead of "are" (other favorites).

Nice interview, Zanzibar. :clap: :clap: :clap: That's a scoop on him not competing next year, right? In all previous interviews this season he has been non-committal.

He doesn't seem too enthusiastic about joint projects with Yagudin. It sounds like the challenge of creating his own tour is more interesting to him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, a little bit off topic, but since we might be snowboarding with Evgeni in a future installment of "Off Ice Adventures," I have a HUGE QUESTION about Alexei and that fish.

You never did quite say that he actually landed it. Just that he fought it for a long time. Then: Here's a picture of Alexei with a big fish.

I bet the big one got away, right? :biggrin:

MM

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hey Mathman!

Well, at the risk of letting the OT morph into a Yagudin/Plushenko thread, LOL, I'll see if I can answer your question.

Yes - Alexei did land that big fish in the photos - and yes - that was the same one that took quite a bit of time - and EFFORT - to reel in. I say effort, as he gave me the reel for 5-10 minutes so that he could take a break, but I literally couldn't hold it any longer - like my hands were just not going to be able to hang onto the rod - then Alexei took it back and reeled for probably another 15 minutes.

Have a lot more photos where you can really see him straining and shaking his hands, trying to keep them from going numb - but - somehow he just didn't look quite as 'photogenic' in those ;)

As for scoops - the big Plushenko scoop I had was actually right after he won the Olympics - he in reality flew back to Russia because his Mom was in the hospital, but nobody knew - and nobody reported it. I spoke to Mishin via cell phone in St. Pete and he let me know that she had suffered a minor heart attack, or at least that's what they thought it was at the time. Strangely, we published the story in the New Jersey Daily Record newspaper but no one really picked up on it - funny how the press works!

curious

Final Flight
That explains the lack of emotion in his Oly performance. He looked very tense and serious probably worried about his mom's health problems.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Zanzibar said:
:laugh: That's the funniest question I've ever been asked.

Sorry, I just guessed that you were him, I guess it had to do with the screen name and the fact that you know Zhenya and Alyosha. :laugh:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Oh I hope his mother wasn't in too serious condition. After the loss of his grandmother of course he would be worried about her. I can definitely understand his lack of emotion during the free skate now as well.

I'm going to miss him this year!!!!!!! But he needs to take time and enjoy being a father and husband. I look forward to more interviews with him.

I really admire his English, so much better than even the Olympics when he had that rather humorous interview with Gwendal Peizerat before the exhibitions where he spoke about the accident. He's really improved.

Hilarious story about Mishin/Yagudin/Plushenko! But yeah, I can't say I would have been so forgiving towards Mishin if I were Tatiana (Zhenya's mama).

What a sweetheart. Masha's one lucky woman!