1 1.39%
  • Skirt required for SP only

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should the Skirt be optional?

Skaterkitty

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaterkitty
    I'm a adult skater and frankly, if aesthetics were an issue, the vast majority of female adult skaters should not be wearing skirts. Most should be wearing pants (or at the very least, they should have custom dresses made by a reputable designer and not wear off the rack outfits cut for twelve-year olds, but that's another issue).
    I'm also an adult skater, and I think that adult skaters should wear whatever they're comfortable in, f*** aesthetics. I always wear a skirt/dress, its more comfortable and alows greater freedom of movement, with no fear of my blade catching the hem of my pants. And did you ever think that not all adult skaters can afford custom made dresses? Especially for practice, I'm not spending extra money for a practice dress. I think that skatewear makers need to acknowledge the growing populatity of skating among adults, and adapt their products accordingly.

Ballroom Baby
    *psst* I think Skaterkitty's point, besides paraphrasing "Culture on Ice", was that aesthetics shouldn't be a consideration because it's sexist. Though, yeah, some of us cannot afford to have custom dresses made.

Honestly, if you have such an awful figure you can't wear a skirt, you're not going to look good in a unitard, either. They're not loose pants. If anything, I think my tights (skintight running pants; very popular around here for skaters) show off a lot more figure flaws than even a leotard and gauze skirt that you can see through.

I think for Ladies :-P and Pairs, it should be an aesthetic decision left up to the skater, coach, and choreographer on what's appropriate for the program. For dance, the skirt should be required for the woman in all three phases and the man should never wear tights. Dance has enough costume problems as it is.

Did you guys know that author Ellyn Kestnbaum is a Golden Skate member (formerly posting as EllynK)?

Culture on Ice is my all-time fave. Kestnbaum also contributed to Women on Ice, a compilation of feminist writings about the Tonya-Nancy bruhaha. (Kestnbaum's essay is titled "What Tonya Harding means to me, or Images of independent female power on ice." But I have to admit, the best-titled piece is "Victor Petrenko's Mother-in-Law," by Marjorie Garber. )

Anyway, I found Culture (essentially an expansion of the author's PhD dissertation in Theater at the University of Wisconsin) to be a lot more subtle than most reviews of it. (I wrote a review for U.K. Amazon, but for some reason they never published it. )

Although the book presents various neo-feminist takes on figure skating, it does so in a thoughtful and critical way, pointing out competing ideas as well.

(For instance, if figure skating -- and especially figure skating costumes -- are nothing more than dressing up pretty girls in scanty outfits so that men can leer at them, why are figure skating audiences 90% women?)

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-01-2006 at 09:40 AM.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    I'm partial to the skirt.

Custom Title
    Personally, as an overweight adult skater, what I'm most comfortable in for practice, for both ease of movement and aesthetics, is turtleneck or t-shirt, tights, and shorts. I do wear skirts or dresses with shirts over them for practice. For competition or practice, I need a really well cut dress with sleeves, and I've only been able to find one or two that fit well enough. But if it were all about athletics while looking reasonably well put together, I'd be happy if someone would invent attractive competition shorts, with a nice tight matching shirt that will stay down.

Like this?

Guess it doesn't match but it came to mind immediately - name matches shorts.

Custom Title
    Well, *I* wouldn't wear it, and the bare midriff might be an issue, but it's no less modest than what some of the ice dancers wear, so why not?

Couldn't someone find a nice leotard and a "cool" pair of shorts that allow for movement? Even some of those "Hippy" tops with a few clips around the bottom inside might look nice with shorts
    just the top
    http://www.hwbhost.com/images/63509.jpg
    - still have that little "floof out" when spinning. Anyhoo, I think that outfit Miki has would also look nice if it was a similar one piece underneath, even a "show girl type thing (without all the frillies, just the sequined leotard) and those shorts over it?
    I just think the whole idea of having freedom to wear shorts, dresses, unitards, pants, etc. is a good one. I am under the impression that if a lady fees good about what she wears, she looks that much better.

Ballroom Baby
    I would absolutely oppose allowing long pants that aren't at the very least very narrow-cut and strapped around the boot like men's skating pants. (And again, not in dance. Women in ballroom do not compete in pants.) Shorts would be one thing, but jazz pants? Wicked ugly lines. The flopping fabric around the lower leg is annoying, too. In skating, comfort is nice and all, but you're presenting a performance that's all about body positions, and loosey-goosey modern dance stuff distracts. (Heck, the original reason certain Eastern European countries started doing the handkerchief-hem nightmares of dance costumes was to mesmerize the judges with floaty bits of fabric so they wouldn't notice when the footwork wasn't the greatest.)

"Culture on Ice" is a good book. MUCH better than "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes." (Got "Culture on Ice" for Christmas last year. Anthro majors who skate ask for weird presents.) A little academic jargon-heavy, but refreshingly not a barrage of "OMG figure skating is teh sexist!" like a lot/most feminist 'analysis' of the sport is. For one thing, she doesn't just look at ladies--she remembers there are three other Olympic disciplines, all of which involve men.

Completely agree about the loose fit pants, didn't care for the Chinese pairs at the Olympics. The flappy pants were tacky on a lady. Thought i was watching "Victor Victoria."

As far as a pair of shorts in general, I do feel they are more "modest" then a skirt. No matter the top that is matched.

I personally would never want to see a pair of pants or shorts in the first portion of Dancing, yet the other 2 I would be open to interpretation of the number chosen. But it would really have to be a unique number to sell that.

It is sad that the judges would be distracted by such a thing - as julietvalcouer stated above - but it is more than likely true that they do get distracted. I don't doubt it one bit. Look at why Pusinko learned to whip his arms around. Kinda pathetic that the Judges can't stay a little more focused on what they need to.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I think it should depend on whether or not the costume looks like it's bordering on vulgar. I just want to hide my eyes when some of the unitards come out to skate lol. Bordering on vulgar for me would be Elena Sokolova's orange bodysuit. You can practically see her "slot" on her behind. My opinion of a unitard done in good taste is the black one that Fumie Suguri wears.

Custom Title
    I hate wearing skirt at practice, so I would like to have the option to skate competitions without it as well. It's just more comfortable.

Custom Title
    I am definitely partial to the skirt, but in an ideal world, each skater would have the chance to work with a sytlist to find just the right thing that will look good on them. Sometimes skirts are TOO long and it becomes distracting. The skirt needs to be the right length. Some skaters look better with long sleeves. Some look better with no sleeves. I've only seen a few skaters who can pull off a unitard, but if they look good, more power to them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2