Greener pastures await in the States for "Show Me The Money" Shizuka (article) | Golden Skate

Greener pastures await in the States for "Show Me The Money" Shizuka (article)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Greener pastures await in the States for "Show Me The Money" Shizuka (article)

Interesting:

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/face/news/20060519p2g00m0dm030000c.html

Many see her decision to go pro as a boon for Japanese figure skating. Sadly, experts say that's unlikely to be the case, with Asia's first figure skating gold medallist likely to head to greener pastures paying greenbacks.

"Unfortunately, she'll probably go over to the U.S.," skating journalist Toshimi Oriyama tells Weekly Playboy. "Arakawa now has the technique to make it in the States. Her graceful skating is highly regarded over there. And she's always like the real ice shows they put on and sees them as giving her a chance to really test her abilities."

Oriyama says Arakawa is motivated as much by the desire to be the best possible skater as she is by how much she can make out of the rink.

"Arakawa is a skater to her core. But she doesn't want to be bound by rules and point scoring. She wants to be free to skate as well as she can, without any restrictions," Oriyama says. "She's not going to stay around in Japan, where there aren't many ice shows, the level of professionalism is poor and the pay is bad. She's got to go to the States, where the performance money is totally out of the ballpark in comparison."

Bill508

Rinkside
Shizuka deserves all she can get. Its was/is a great career. Hope she spends alot of time in the USA via COI and/or SOI. If more people knew her story of dedication, strong will and perserverence she would be a real hero in the USA as well as Japan.

Interesting numbers. According to these estimates Shizuka should be able to make about $9,000 to $27,000 (US) per show skating in SOI. This seems like a reasonable ballpark figure, probably nearer the lower end.

They claim she can make about $450,000 per commercial endorsement in Japan.

They also estimate that Tara Lipinski earns (present tense, but this may be a mistranslation), more than a million dollars per year in "skating shows and commercials."

I wonder if the grass (and the cash) really is greener on the other side of the hill. The article mentions that Shizuka's most recent show sold out within three hours after the tickets went on sale. How long has it been since SOI or COI played to a full house?

MM :)

Strange article. Shizuka will be more of a draw in Japan and she will make more money there. She will be a welcomed star in the US and Canada, and she may do that for a year for the resume. But, imo, back to home will be more important unless hollywood calls.

Hard to believe Tara is still making all that money. She has to have the agent of agents.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree with those of you who have posted so far she would probably make more money, and be a much hotter commodatie in Japan, then the U.S.

kyla2

Final Flight
I Don't Know

I think the days of these professional ice shows are numbered. Nobody cares anymore, including many of us who follow competitive skating. I don't think her financial future is in the United States. She should stay in Japan and rake in the endorsements. That's where her future financial security lies.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If Kwan had won Olympic gold in Torino, I suspect there would be more sellouts and close-to-sellouts on Champions on Ice this year. I think ticket sales would have been strong if Cohen had won gold. But even had one of these happened, I'm not sure how much legs this would have had for future years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
There may not be many ice shows in Japan but (I may be way off on this) I think Arakawa with her popularity there might have the power to change that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm bumping this up to report that IFS says that she will be joining the COI tour later this summer:

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/

Arakawa, the 2004 World champion, recently announced her retirement from competitive skating. She has been touring in Europe and reports indicate she will soon join the Champions on Ice tour (in Chicago later this month) before returning to Japan for the Prince Ice World tour. After finishing ninth at Worlds in 2005 and third at her country's nationals this past season, she stunned the world when she became the first woman from an Asian country to win the ladies singles title at the Olympic Games.

Sounds like she really wants the money :laugh:

(Couldn't be bothered starting another thread)