German Pairs News | Golden Skate

German Pairs News

Anke G

Rinkside
Annette Dytrt to skate pairs with Norman Jeschke
http://de.sports.yahoo.com/09052006/30/deutsche-meisterin-dytrt-wechselt-paarlauf.html

Annette Dytrt (22), German national ladies champion, has joined Norman Jeschke (27), German pairs skater (most recently with Mikkeline Kierkgaard, who retired) to form a new German pair. They plan to train with Bruno Marcotte in Vancouver, BC. The pair became official at the beginning of May when the German federation gave its approval.

The German federation has severed ties with Ingo Steuer
http://www.netzeitung.de/sport/wintersport/400338.html

Because of "false and slanderous" comments Steuer made about the German federation in various interviews, they have severed their ties with him. The German Ministry of the Interior has also ruled that Steuer cannot be paid from public funds.

The comments Ingo made had to do with officials coming out of the woodwork to attend the Olympics at federation expense when the money could have been better used to support skaters. He also complained about lack of support. Not to excuse Ingo's behavior past and present, and he does seem to act and speak before he thinks, but I thought some of his comments about poor federation support of skating were indicative of a general rot in skating federations worldwide. How sad.

Ingo has already been discharged from his "sports soldier" status (six months before planned) because he lied about Stasi ties on his application. The news report did not have any comments on Ingo's future plans.

The German federation has indicated that they will engage a well-known coach to work with Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy in Chemnitz. Whether or not Sav/Szol will accept the offer remains to be seen.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thank you very much for posting this!

Weird about Steuer. Certainly seems like the federation was just fishing for an excuse to dismiss him. Besides, aren't the Germans supposed to be one of the most "complaining" nations on earth (don't blame me for stereotyping, this was a recent BBC story)? Just seems odd... I really pity Alyona and Robin in all this. Getting a good working relationship with a coach is very difficult; to be told - here is a new coach you are to work with sounds harsh at best.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Anke G said:

The German federation has indicated that they will engage a well-known coach to work with Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy in Chemnitz. Whether or not Sav/Szol will accept the offer remains to be seen.

What, if anything, could the German federation do to Aliona and Robin if they reject the offer of "a well-known coach" in order to remain with Steuer? Does anyone have any idea who that coach might be?

Anke G

Rinkside
I agree that it all sounds very harsh. I don't know if I'd call the Germans complainers, but they are certainly opinionated. And there doesn't seem to be much understanding of the human element in the federation's quest for glory. The fact that the federation had to approve Dytrt skating pairs also seemed more controlling that we're used to in the US.

Anke G

Rinkside
attyfan said:
What, if anything, could the German federation do to Aliona and Robin if they reject the offer of "a well-known coach" in order to remain with Steuer? Does anyone have any idea who that coach might be?

I have no idea. I don't think there are any well-known pairs coaches in Germany who don't have Stasi issues (e.g., Ingo's coach). Knut Schubert, in Dortmund, could be the only "clean" coach of some reputation. It's hard to imagine who might be enticed to move to Chemnitz to work. I'll be watching the news reports and keep you posted!

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
One issue is financial. The federation supports its skaters; in return they have to play by the federation's rules. If they wanted to fly solo, Steuer would have to find ice with enough time and quality to satisfy the needs to elite skaters. Additionally, my guess is that Steuer will no longer be able to be part of the delegation; therefore, he won't be able to stand by the boards, be at K&C, be at official practice sessions, etc.

BTW, here is the link to the BBC story I was alluding to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4599004.stm (how weird I found that story is another issue; also, when they had it on the radio, one British observer actually said, "well, not everyone can be like Americans, wake up happy and go through the day all happy". Talk about stereotyping there!)

Well, one day Annette Ditrt may be the answer to the trivia question, what lady ice skater was the national singles champion of three different countries (Germany, France and the Czech Republic), as well as a national pairs champion.

There seem to be a lot of top ladies taking the pairs route. To me, that would seem to be virtually impossible, but I must be wrong because people do it. It seems like learning all those new pairs skills, and training your body to really trust your partner in throws and lifts, would be like starting all over again (in Dytrt's case, at the age of 22).

I am sorry that Mikkeline Kierkgaard has left the scene. She was a beautiful and very promising singles skater for a time.

Kierkgaard and Jeschke

Anke G

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
One issue is financial. The federation supports its skaters; in return they have to play by the federation's rules. If they wanted to fly solo, Steuer would have to find ice with enough time and quality to satisfy the needs to elite skaters. Additionally, my guess is that Steuer will no longer be able to be part of the delegation; therefore, he won't be able to stand by the boards, be at K&C, be at official practice sessions, etc.

I agree that the federation's break with Steuer means he won't be allowed to be part of the delegation at skating events. Definitely a total disaster for Savchenko and Szolkowy.

Ptichka, you seem to know something about how the German system works vis a vis federation support. Could you please enlighten us? For instance, Savchenko and Szolkowy are the only skaters in the A-level squad for 2006/2007. http://www.eislauf-union.de/download/bundeskader2006-2007.pdf Lots of skaters in the B-level and C-level, and lower. How much financial support does the federation give (I think it is not a rich organization)?

Also, if you know how German coaches get paid, I'd appreciate some information. Skaters/parents apparently do not pay fees for lessons. Or?

Thanks!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm surprised that the German federation approved this matchup, given how "results oriented" they attempt to be. (For example, for a few seasons, and they may still do this, they wouldn't let skaters into Worlds or Olys without a top 8 Euros showing). Given that they already have one of the top pairs in the world (Savchenko & Szolkowy) and Dytrt these days is about the only thing they have going in Ladies on any level, I should think they would have wanted Dytrt to remain solo, unless they have a few promising prospects that we don't know about. Then again, with the whole Steuer thing, maybe they're unsure about Savchenko & Szolkowy now.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I feel sorry for Savchenko and Szolkowy that they got into the middle of all this. On the other hand I also feel, that Steur´s past cannot be excused just because of being this pair´s coach. In my opinion Steur got what was coming to him, so to speak.

It will be exciting to see the new pair Dytrt & Jesche, how they skate together. I really liked Kierkegaard as a singles skater, don´t think that I have seen her pair performances at all.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
It will be exciting to see the new pair Dytrt & Jesche, how they skate together. I really liked Kierkegaard as a singles skater, don´t think that I have seen her pair performances at all.

I was quite a fan of Mikkeline's, too, and I think what the Danish Federation did to her to make her bolt to Germany was just absolutely stupid. ("She does not meet our criteria" -- yeah, like Denmark is SUCH a figure skating mecca on par with Canada or Russia; they should have been thrilled to have her.)

As for Norman Jeshke -- well -- any guy THAT good-looking, give him as many partners as he needs to get back on the World scene..... :biggrin:

antmanb

Record Breaker
So where would it leave Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy?

Presumably they are entitled to choose whoever they want to coach them, so if they wish to continue with Ingo and they can afford to pay his fees, he can continue to coach them no?

I mean for all the damage the woman did Bonaly's mother was still her "coach" despite the french federation's dislike of the woman.

Can the german federation do anything to stop Ingo coaching them short of shooting themselves in the foot and not selecting Savchenko&Szolkowy for international championships?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:

BTW, here is the link to the BBC story I was alluding to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4599004.stm (how weird I found that story is another issue; also, when they had it on the radio, one British observer actually said, "well, not everyone can be like Americans, wake up happy and go through the day all happy". Talk about stereotyping there!)

LOL, i've just had a you-know-you're-a skating-fanatic-when....moment - i opened the link you posted above and read the headline "German firm bans office whingers " but i read it as "German firm bans off-ice whingers" :rofl:

Ant

antmanb said:
LOL, i've just had a you-know-you're-a skating-fanatic-when....moment - i opened the link you posted above and read the headline "German firm bans office whingers " but i read it as "German firm bans off-ice whingers"
:rofl: :rofl:

Not only that, but I learned a new word, "whinge." As I just found out by consulting an on-line dictionary, this British word is unknown in America.

But they also use it in Australia, especially in the phrase, "Whinging Pom" (=b*tchin' Limey). :rofl:

MM :)

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Anke G said:
I have no idea. I don't think there are any well-known pairs coaches in Germany who don't have Stasi issues (e.g., Ingo's coach). Knut Schubert, in Dortmund, could be the only "clean" coach of some reputation. It's hard to imagine who might be enticed to move to Chemnitz to work. I'll be watching the news reports and keep you posted!

Well doesn't Schubert already have two or three pairs in Dortmund?

I doubt Aljona would be willing to train under a different coach. She seems to be very focus on Steuer.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Well, one day Annette Ditrt may be the answer to the trivia question, what lady ice skater was the national singles champion of three different countries (Germany, France and the Czech Republic), as well as a national pairs champion.

Well I dont see the two of them making National Champion any time soon and considering their age it might very likely never happen.

But, hey Annette, prove me wrong!!!!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
:rofl: :rofl:

Not only that, but I learned a new word, "whinge." As I just found out by consulting an on-line dictionary, this British word is unknown in America.

But they also use it in Australia, especially in the phrase, "Whinging Pom" (=b*tchin' Limey). :rofl:

MM :)

Whinge is one of my favourite words - its use is very particular!!

Ant

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Anke G said:
I agree that the federation's break with Steuer means he won't be allowed to be part of the delegation at skating events. Definitely a total disaster for Savchenko and Szolkowy.

Ptichka, you seem to know something about how the German system works vis a vis federation support. Could you please enlighten us? For instance, Savchenko and Szolkowy are the only skaters in the A-level squad for 2006/2007. http://www.eislauf-union.de/download/bundeskader2006-2007.pdf Lots of skaters in the B-level and C-level, and lower. How much financial support does the federation give (I think it is not a rich organization)?

Also, if you know how German coaches get paid, I'd appreciate some information. Skaters/parents apparently do not pay fees for lessons. Or?

Thanks!

Team A
- Places 1-10 at Worlds only

Team B
- National Champion all events
- Mans 2 + 3 at Nationals
- Ladies 2 at Nationals

Team C
- Junior Team - depends on placement at JGPs mainly and/or how many Triples they can do
- Ladies Yr 1 - DA + 3 Tripples / Man DA + 4 Triples
- Ladies Yr 2 - DA + 4 Tripples / Man DA + 5 Triples
- Ladies Yr 3 - DA + 5 Tripples / Man DA + 6 Triples

Team D/C
- Ladies DA + 2 Triples or 1 Triple and very good spirals and steps + no older than 14 as of 1.07.
- Man DA + 3 Triples or 2 Triple and very good spirals and steps + no older than 15 as of 1.07

The link has been removed from the Homepage but I think I have the criteria somewhere at home.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thank you Sandra!

Anke, I actually don't know much about the German federation. It's all an educated guess on my part, based on articles I've read about particular skaters' relationships with the federation, as well as knowledge of some other heavy-handed federations.

As to Steuer - I still wish the Federation released more information on his Stasi involvement. According to rumors (gleaned from Artur Werner forum), it was indeed rather substantial, though the federation was directed to investigate through information from someone jealous of Steuer's success. BTW, Werner also talks about how inappropriate it was of Steuer to use Savchenko as his shield in dealing with the charges instead of shielding his students from the whole mess.

Anke G

Rinkside
antmanb said:
So where would it leave Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy?

Presumably they are entitled to choose whoever they want to coach them, so if they wish to continue with Ingo and they can afford to pay his fees, he can continue to coach them no?

I mean for all the damage the woman did Bonaly's mother was still her "coach" despite the french federation's dislike of the woman.

Can the german federation do anything to stop Ingo coaching them short of shooting themselves in the foot and not selecting Savchenko&Szolkowy for international championships?

Ant

The latest news came out this morning http://de.sports.yahoo.com/23052006/14/deu-trennt-endgueltig-trainer-steuer.html and it's pretty stark. The German federation (DEU) has officially severed all ties with Ingo Steuer. His comments in various interviews about DEU officials being out of their league and not having backbone...he put it less elegantly...mean they can no longer deal with him. They were hoping to work things out, but his comments ended all hope.

They plan to meet with Savchenko and Szolkowy on May 29 to discuss their future. Ingo is not invited. Robin Szolkowy has said that they will stay with Ingo, and they will ask the DEU if they can still support them as a German team. The DEU president has said the DEU will not be blackmailed.

One name that is floating out there as possible coach is Oleg Vasiliev.
[end of my news summary]

It is unclear if the DEU would pay for Aliona and Robin to live in Chicago or if they would make Oleg an offer he can't refuse to move to Chemnitz. In either case, I wonder if the DEU has sufficient funds. News stories I read make it sound like they're hurting financially. Besides, Aliona and Robin seem to be digging in their heals about working with Ingo. And the interior ministry has said that no public funds can be used to pay Ingo. Since I think much of what the DEU has is considered public funds, even if the DEU supports Aliona and Robin, I don't think they can turn around and support Ingo (who wouldn't be allowed at competitions anyway).

And the two of them don't have a lot of other financial backing. Robin is a "sports soldier" with the German army. I don't know if he could continue to collect his salary from them if he moves out of the country. And Aliona, who refused to join the army, has a sponsorship contract with a car dealership in Chemnitz. I don't think they can support themselves, and a coach, on their own. Besides, in the current skating world, they have to have a country backing them to compete internationally. (Oh, I wish that we could get away from country-centric sports!)

So it does seem that the DEU could have more control over them than we might like. Time will tell.