Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: German Pairs News

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Well, one day Annette Ditrt may be the answer to the trivia question, what lady ice skater was the national singles champion of three different countries (Germany, France and the Czech Republic), as well as a national pairs champion.
    Well I dont see the two of them making National Champion any time soon and considering their age it might very likely never happen.

But, hey Annette, prove me wrong!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

Not only that, but I learned a new word, "whinge." As I just found out by consulting an on-line dictionary, this British word is unknown in America.

But they also use it in Australia, especially in the phrase, "Whinging Pom" (=b*tchin' Limey).

MM
    Whinge is one of my favourite words - its use is very particular!!

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anke G
    I agree that the federation's break with Steuer means he won't be allowed to be part of the delegation at skating events. Definitely a total disaster for Savchenko and Szolkowy.

Ptichka, you seem to know something about how the German system works vis a vis federation support. Could you please enlighten us? For instance, Savchenko and Szolkowy are the only skaters in the A-level squad for 2006/2007. http://www.eislauf-union.de/download...r2006-2007.pdf Lots of skaters in the B-level and C-level, and lower. How much financial support does the federation give (I think it is not a rich organization)?

Also, if you know how German coaches get paid, I'd appreciate some information. Skaters/parents apparently do not pay fees for lessons. Or?

Thanks!
    Team A
    - Places 1-10 at Worlds only

Team B
    - National Champion all events
    - Mans 2 + 3 at Nationals
    - Ladies 2 at Nationals

Team C
    - Junior Team - depends on placement at JGPs mainly and/or how many Triples they can do
    - Ladies Yr 1 - DA + 3 Tripples / Man DA + 4 Triples
    - Ladies Yr 2 - DA + 4 Tripples / Man DA + 5 Triples
    - Ladies Yr 3 - DA + 5 Tripples / Man DA + 6 Triples

Team D/C
    - Ladies DA + 2 Triples or 1 Triple and very good spirals and steps + no older than 14 as of 1.07.
    - Man DA + 3 Triples or 2 Triple and very good spirals and steps + no older than 15 as of 1.07

The link has been removed from the Homepage but I think I have the criteria somewhere at home.

Thank you Sandra!

Anke, I actually don't know much about the German federation. It's all an educated guess on my part, based on articles I've read about particular skaters' relationships with the federation, as well as knowledge of some other heavy-handed federations.

As to Steuer - I still wish the Federation released more information on his Stasi involvement. According to rumors (gleaned from Artur Werner forum), it was indeed rather substantial, though the federation was directed to investigate through information from someone jealous of Steuer's success. BTW, Werner also talks about how inappropriate it was of Steuer to use Savchenko as his shield in dealing with the charges instead of shielding his students from the whole mess.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    So where would it leave Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy?

Presumably they are entitled to choose whoever they want to coach them, so if they wish to continue with Ingo and they can afford to pay his fees, he can continue to coach them no?

I mean for all the damage the woman did Bonaly's mother was still her "coach" despite the french federation's dislike of the woman.

Can the german federation do anything to stop Ingo coaching them short of shooting themselves in the foot and not selecting Savchenko&Szolkowy for international championships?

Ant
    The latest news came out this morning http://de.sports.yahoo.com/23052006/...er-steuer.html and it's pretty stark. The German federation (DEU) has officially severed all ties with Ingo Steuer. His comments in various interviews about DEU officials being out of their league and not having backbone...he put it less elegantly...mean they can no longer deal with him. They were hoping to work things out, but his comments ended all hope.

They plan to meet with Savchenko and Szolkowy on May 29 to discuss their future. Ingo is not invited. Robin Szolkowy has said that they will stay with Ingo, and they will ask the DEU if they can still support them as a German team. The DEU president has said the DEU will not be blackmailed.

One name that is floating out there as possible coach is Oleg Vasiliev.
    [end of my news summary]

It is unclear if the DEU would pay for Aliona and Robin to live in Chicago or if they would make Oleg an offer he can't refuse to move to Chemnitz. In either case, I wonder if the DEU has sufficient funds. News stories I read make it sound like they're hurting financially. Besides, Aliona and Robin seem to be digging in their heals about working with Ingo. And the interior ministry has said that no public funds can be used to pay Ingo. Since I think much of what the DEU has is considered public funds, even if the DEU supports Aliona and Robin, I don't think they can turn around and support Ingo (who wouldn't be allowed at competitions anyway).

And the two of them don't have a lot of other financial backing. Robin is a "sports soldier" with the German army. I don't know if he could continue to collect his salary from them if he moves out of the country. And Aliona, who refused to join the army, has a sponsorship contract with a car dealership in Chemnitz. I don't think they can support themselves, and a coach, on their own. Besides, in the current skating world, they have to have a country backing them to compete internationally. (Oh, I wish that we could get away from country-centric sports!)

So it does seem that the DEU could have more control over them than we might like. Time will tell.

I don't believe Vasiliev is likely to move to Germany - he is well established in Chicago, why would he move?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Thank you Sandra!
    As to Steuer - I still wish the Federation released more information on his Stasi involvement. According to rumors (gleaned from Artur Werner forum), it was indeed rather substantial, though the federation was directed to investigate through information from someone jealous of Steuer's success. BTW, Werner also talks about how inappropriate it was of Steuer to use Savchenko as his shield in dealing with the charges instead of shielding his students from the whole mess.
    I, too, want to thank Sandra for sharing the information she has!! I looked for info about athlete support on the DEU site and couldn't find it either. Thank you Sandra!

As to Steuer's Stasi involvement, someone on a German forum I read shared some information she received from the German Olympic Committee. It seems that Steuer's cover-up over the years (he has known since 1994 that there was a file on him) has been very damaging. Had he fessed up sooner, the brouhaha surrounding Aliona and Robin during the Olympics might have been avoided. Werner is right about that.

In any case, there does seem to be ample evidence that Ingo actively participated in informing, and in suggesting names of individuals he could report on. He also apparently received higher payments than was the norm for his activities. The German OC will not release the evidence, but they felt they could not ignore it.

It's just a very tragic case. I fear I would not react very bravely in a totalitarian regime, so I won't pass judgment, but I can also understand the need to not ignore the activity. It's so very difficult to reconcile and move forward. I do feel the west Germans have missed many opportunities to bridge the gap with the east, and as I think about it, maybe it does have something to do with all that whinging!

Medalist
    I don't believe Vasiliev is likely to move to Germany - he is well established in Chicago, why would he move?
    I totally agree! I think the DEU is not being realistic if they think they can get a world-class coach to move to Chemnitz, and frankly, if they think they can dictate to Aliona and Robin whom they will work with. It's a battle of wills at this point.

Custom Title
    I highly doubt Vassiliev would agree to coach this team. The impression I got from Vassiliev is that he is very keen on maintaining the Russian tradition of winning pairs titles and I don't think he would jeopardize that by coaching a team that could develop into a legitimate threat to win an OGM. I see Oleg putting his energies into the Russian team he's coaching now (those juniors whose names escape me) and trying to develop them into the next OGMs.

Custom Title
    So, who else might be available to coach S/S? I don't think that Bin Yao speaks English well enough to take on a non-Chinese speaking team.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I highly doubt Vassiliev would agree to coach this team. The impression I got from Vassiliev is that he is very keen on maintaining the Russian tradition of winning pairs titles and I don't think he would jeopardize that by coaching a team that could develop into a legitimate threat to win an OGM. I see Oleg putting his energies into the Russian team he's coaching now (those juniors whose names escape me) and trying to develop them into the next OGMs.
    I don't really get that sense from him. I think if he is offered enough money and a talented enough team to work with, he'd take them in a heart beat. I just don't think he'd move to Germany for it.

My dream would be for them to work with Moskvina. Of course she's set on remaining in Petersburg...

Anke, as for Steuer - I have extremely mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, just about everyone in the German elite sport worked with Stasi in one way or another; on the other hand, I have no problem with a person being punished for consciously destroying careers and/or lives of others as an adult. That's why I would like to know exactly what he did, and be able to decide for myself.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 05-23-2006 at 04:10 PM.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    So, who else might be available to coach S/S? I don't think that Bin Yao speaks English well enough to take on a non-Chinese speaking team.
    Jan Ullmark, maybe?

Medalist
    My dream would be for them to work with Moskvina. Of course she's set on remaining in Petersburg...
    I've wondered about Moskvina, too. If I remember correctly, she has worked with German skaters during summer camps sponsored by the DEU. And she is impressed by Savchenko/Szolkowy. I suppose it's possible they could train in St. Petersburg. But the biggest hurdle is still their loyalty to Ingo.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I suspect that most of the candidates are Russian, and Russian would be the preferred "foreign" language for Robin and Aliona. I'm pretty sure both Aliona and Robin speak Russian (Robin grew up in East Germany) and probably not much English.

Ingo Steuer has indicated that he needs to learn better English to deal with the ISU rules. The odd thing is that all the news reports about his desire to study English say he's studying English and American *literature*! Don't know if that's his ignorance about university courses, or the reporter's/editor's confusion.

Custom Title
    Anke, as for Steuer - I have extremely mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, just about everyone in the German elite sport worked with Stasi in one way or another; on the other hand, I have no problem with a person being punished for consciously destroying careers and/or lives of others as an adult. That's why I would like to know exactly what he did, and be able to decide for myself.
    There is a difference between working and working, LOL. The problem is that Steur apparently worked much more than the others. I noticed on FSUniverse this article with plenty of info in German:

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub9CD731D06F17...~Scontent.html

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast