explain me this! | Golden Skate

explain me this!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
OK I don't get this...
I am not into Japan open so explain me what is Yagudin doing there???
And OMG anyway is this 2005/2006 or 2006/2007???
huh...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
As I understand it, the Japan Open, with Yagudin, was a "pro-am" (aka "cheesefest"), so the hosts get to invite whomever they please. That the event was scheduled during the time that Plushy is touring the US with COI may explain the invitation to Yagudin. They also might have invited Yagudin because he might be bigger with the Japanese public than other (non-Japanese) male skaters.

Yagudin is a crowd pleaser, and well known among the Japanese fans. His appearance at the Open ensures the host committee that dthey will not lose money.

Like Kwan, he's a win or lose, they still love him.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
As others have said, it was a pro-am, team event. It wasn't just Yagudin there. There was also Buttle, Sandhu, Korpii, Lambiel, Meier, Czisny, etc. But Yagudin is very popular in Japan (his book has been published in only Japanese so far) and has done many exhibitions and shows there.

The 2005-2006 season has ended. The 2006-2007 season will start this fall.

Although, for a "pro-am," there were only two pro skaters in the show, Yagudin and Takeshi Honda.

BTW, the ISU web site has this event listed as part of the 2006-2007 season. Next up is the Junior Grand Prix competition in Romania on August 24.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
BTW, the ISU web site has this event listed as part of the 2006-2007 season. Next up is the Junior Grand Prix competition in Romania on August 24.
The 2006 Japan Open wasn't listed originally on the ISU site's schedule but I noticed it's there now:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/p...30051-131359-35803-174840-custom-item,00.html

I think the ISU calendar as published there doesn't distinguish between the end of the 2006 season (Japan Open) and the start of the 2007 season (1st JGP will be in Courchevel, France).

Last edited: