'Tano arm position | Golden Skate

'Tano arm position

debdelilah

On the Ice
At Marshalls, and during COI when I saw it, Johnny was doing jumps with one arm straight up in the air, like Brian Boitano used to do. Does anyone know how long he's been doing this, or whether anyone else is doing it at the moment?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sorry I can't answer the question, but I think that is very cool!

I wonder if it ads to points, if it indeed is harder.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
debdelilah said:
At Marshalls, and during COI when I saw it, Johnny was doing jumps with one arm straight up in the air, like Brian Boitano used to do. Does anyone know how long he's been doing this, or whether anyone else is doing it at the moment?
Ryan Jahnke has been doing the 'Tano triple lutz in competition for the past several seasons. Over the years, I've seen many young skaters doing 'Tano double jumps in competition.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
seanibu said:
More points?:)

Also Viktor Pfeifer from Austria was doing jumps that way this season. In my opinion he might have faired a bit better in competitions, if he had done them "normally".

antmanb

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
More points?:)

I think i'm remembering correctly that an arm in the air during the jump is considered a +GOE point in the "flight" part of a jump.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Irina Slutskaya used to.. not sure if she still does... IIRC she did it with the 2Axel

gio

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
Irina Slutskaya used to.. not sure if she still does... IIRC she did it with the 2Axel

This year she did it with the double toe in combination with her triple flip. I remember that she did this at Euros, GPF and Cup of Russia. Also the Turkish girl did the Tano double toe. But I don't remember any girl doing a Tano triple.

Do you remember Elizabeth Manley doing a double flip with both her arms up? I don't know if this is possible with a triple.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Nevermind the Tano arm position - the great Donald Jackson sometimes did his Lutz jumps with his arms folded across his chest. Now that would earn a skater some top marks.

:clap:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Nevermind the Tano arm position - the great Donald Jackson sometimes did his Lutz jumps with his arms folded across his chest. Now that would earn a skater some top marks.

:clap:

I'm pretty sure i've seen pluschenko do a triple lutz this way too.

Ant

brinababy87

Rinkside
I know a lot of lower level skaters use the tano arm position instead of upgrading a jump. For instance, my friend competes in Juniors, and since her triple lutz isn't consistent, she does a walley into a double lutz with a tano arm position. It looks awesome. :yes:

76olympics

On the Ice
There is no doubt that Donald Jackson was a crazy-good jumper. I have several vids of him and he really looks like jumping is his natural habitat. If he were skating now, I am sure he could handle quads very handily. I have never seen anyone jump as much in a performance as he does in that 1962 free program at worlds; two triple jumps and so many double jumps with so little apparent effort that it is truly amazing. He even jumps out of a spin!

CDMM1991

Medalist
76olympics said:
There is no doubt that Donald Jackson was a crazy-good jumper. I have several vids of him and he really looks like jumping is his natural habitat. If he were skating now, I am sure he could handle quads very handily. I have never seen anyone jump as much in a performance as he does in that 1962 free program at worlds; two triple jumps and so many double jumps with so little apparent effort that it is truly amazing. He even jumps out of a spin!

You can watch that performance here.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Give the arm up in the air a +1on the GoEs and give the folded arms across the chest a +2. JMO.

Joe

I agree with that - the difficulty in rotating because you're not pulling all the way in is really tough and then checking the jump without using your arms is unbelievably difficult.

Ant