Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice on printers

I thought you would know what dpi is, but terms get convoluted there fore can be missleading.

You can in the scanning in, HP Scan. The setting of resolution is under Image type and pick custom, That should give selections, the point where the list "enhanced" is the point where your actual scanner stops it's built in abilities. Like the "digital zoom on a camera opposed to optical - optical is "real" and digital is it's "interpretation."

One thing that may have happened too is...well. Let me start over, the ability to enlarge and reduce give the opposite results. You probably know this too. But taking a little pic and making it bigger will force a program to "interpret" what needs to be added or stretched to make the pic larger (this can give exactly what you were talking about earlier). When I worked for a printing company that we often did posters and "Artist Prints," we would scan at a larger size than we would be printing out - say 2-3% larger. and reduce to sharpen the image. Not always, but most of the time.

I probably said more then you asked, but I am just trying to be as helpful as possible. Maybe I should change my custom title to "TMI."
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-25-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Seanibu.

I haven't tried the negative feature, yet. I'll probably get to it this weekend and will let you know.

The negatives are inserted into a holder, which is placed on the scanner. The reflective mat used for regular scanning is removed.

This printer can also print thumbnail sheets.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    When I worked for a printing company that we often did posters and "Artist Prints," we would scan at a larger size than we would be printing out - say 2-3% larger. and reduce to sharpen the image. Not always, but most of the time.

I probably said more then you asked, but I am just trying to be as helpful as possible. Maybe I should change my custom title to "TMI."
    Sean, thanks for all the information. I think where I made my mistake was I cropped most of the photos I used which made them smaller so when I uploaded to the movie program the program enlarged them and that's why some were not good.

In your opinion after cropping should I resize maybe to a 5X7? If not what do you suggest I do??

I do appreciate all your help.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    Seanibu.

I haven't tried the negative feature, yet. I'll probably get to it this weekend and will let you know.

The negatives are inserted into a holder, which is placed on the scanner. The reflective mat used for regular scanning is removed.

This printer can also print thumbnail sheets.
    I wonder if this "item / holder" could be used with other scanners, with the prober adjustment to the initial scan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    In your opinion after cropping should I resize maybe to a 5X7? If not what do you suggest I do??

Dee
    I am not positive I understand but will give this answer and hope it helps.

If it is 5x7 and you are going to crop, proportionally scale the area you are going to crop it to (Measure it on the pic and then enlarge scan to percentage necessary).

If it is "in" already that would be the choice if you need to print it out - sometimes results are acceptable and sometimes they look really bad (can also depend on originals clarity). If it is going into a movie then adjust the pixels of the picture before using it in the move to the settings of the movie regardless of the size - the pic size will adjust to necessary size.

Rule of thumb (NOT ALWAYS THE CSE BUT MOST OFTEN) scan it slightly biggerr then you need and make the size you want the output - output with reduce or enlarge is not perfect. But when input it is verifiable in the application.

Scan the picture larger then the finished size by a little bit. Image reduce or enlarge 103% for example. When I scan in a pic of 3x5" at a resolution of 1200x1200 it comes out around 25" inches wide .jpeg in photoshop but 3x5" in HP photo smart.

There are al sorts of free "proportion scale or conversion charts" online you can download.

I really hoped this helped, if not write again. Friends are backing out of the weekend camp because of the fire danger restrictions in the backcountry. More then likely we will get an overnight.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Sean, thanks for all the info. I found this site as you had mentioned to check on the internet for scale and proportion conversions.

Enlarging Digital Photos

Dee

Down With It
    Remember that thread I started a while back with enlarged photos. Check it out again...I used an image enlargement program to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Remember that thread I started a while back with enlarged photos. Check it out again...I used an image enlargement program to do that.
    I am interested, could you possibly give a link RD?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    I am interested, could you possibly give a link RD?

Here, hopefully this works.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ge+enlargement

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Yep, it took me right to it, thank you!
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-26-2006 at 09:29 PM.

BTW, Grgranny the HP1410 can be purchased at Walmart and is what I recommend for your needs. $90

This is going to be such big help. Hardly been here lately as I took my oldest
    daughter to the hospital. Hoping to go home tomorrow. Thanks so much.

Another question

I found on HP's website that printer is $80. The postage is free over $100 order so am going to look and see what they have for $20. Also, My (angel) daughter,
    husband and daughter are coming tonight but will leave tomorrow night. Don't know if they'll have time to shop for that. Will see. I was hoping we could get one and set it up before they left. Problem is they're going to help me with my list of to-do's and want to shop. I need to start my roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I found on HP's website that printer is $80. The postage is free over $100 order so am going to look and see what they have for $20. Also, My (angel) daughter,
    husband and daughter are coming tonight but will leave tomorrow night. Don't know if they'll have time to shop for that. Will see. I was hoping we could get one and set it up before they left. Problem is they're going to help me with my list of to-do's and want to shop. I need to start my roast.
    That is a great Idea! I would by an extra Black (at least ) Ink cartridge for it - #56 I believe - That again is one of the great things about that particular printer. You can print in black only....

you have to select this when printing from programs - It says "Copies and Pages" on a pull down menu, click and pull down to paper type / quality and pick grayscale. You can also pick fast draft and most of the time this is MORE then adequate for printing - the quality is still really good when the cartridge has at least 20% ink left. you can also make copies in just black of those Pizza Hut coupons that are illegally charging "Delivery Tax" -

....This way you can save the color - but use it once and a while or it will dry up - and only have to replace the black.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-09-2006 at 03:17 PM.

I have been told before I assume too much. I thought they all were set up to put in a different cartridge for color, etc. How dumb am I? Don't answer that one. I prefer to live in my own little world and not hear my flaws. ha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast