What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds!

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Aww, nobody thinks that Savchenko and Szolkowy will get anything?
I think they're going to be top 2...their performance at Euros was fantastic.

emma

Record Breaker
Aww, nobody thinks that Savchenko and Szolkowy will get anything?
I think they're going to be top 2...their performance at Euros was fantastic.

I totally agree - I admit I want Shen and Zhao to win and to have a personal best; but S/S will likely be in the top 3 and will, I think, put pressure on the others.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I agree about S/S being top 3, I just don't think it will be a Chinese sweep.

My predictions:

Mens:
1.) Brian Joubert
2.) Evan Lysacek
3.) Jeff Buttle
4.) Daisuke Takahashi
5.) Nobunari Oda

Ladies:
1.) Mao Asada
2.) Kimmie Meissner
3.) Yu-Na Kim
4.) Miki Ando
5.) Carolina Kostner

Pairs:
1.) Xue Shen/Hongo Zhao
2.) Dan Zhang/Hao Zhang
3.) Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy
4.) Qing Pang/Jian Tong
5.) Rena Inoue/John Baldwin

Dance:
1.) Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski
2.) Marie-France Dubreil/Patrice Lauzon
3.) Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin
4.) Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto
5.) Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder

Evan has been doing so well lately and I think he has an excellent shot at 2nd, and Buttle is a great artist who will get it together before worlds and have a clean shot at 3rd over the Japanese. Takahashi is inconsistant and I've never been a fan of Oda, no artistry whatsoever.

I just think Mao will win, Kimmie will place second with Yu-Na third. Everyone is raving about the Mao/Yu-Na thing and about them going 1-2 at worlds but I don't believe it. There is always a spoiler with those types of hyped up things and I bet it will be Kimmie. I also think Miki will do well but not type three, same for Carolina and Fumie.

Like I said above, no Chinese sweep and Savchenko/Szolkowy will be the spoiler. Shen/Zhao have an obvious win but very well deserved, they are an awesome team. I love Savchenko and Szolkowy and I actually hope they will have a chance at second, but my instincts predict that they will actually end up third behind Zhang/Zhang(or maybe Pang/Tong have a chance...thats always up in the air). Either way no Chinese sweep. Inoue and Baldwin are a great team who will be in the top 5, I don't think they'll hit the throw 3a and if they do then I'm sure John will fall on some sbs jump lol, I just think the other teams have it over them and will continue to beat them. The only way they will have a great international shot is if one of the four teams above them retires next year and I'm not sure if any of them are planning on it.....

Dance will be the most unpredictable event, and I'm sure it will be plagued by cheating/COI/judging bias/gifts based on nationality or whatever other name can be given to what the dance judging is usually based on(instead of what goes on on the ice). I still think Domnina and Shabalin will be waiting until next year to begin their domination. Denkova and Staviski will win again as I heard there will be a Bulgarian judge at worlds(there wasn't one at Europeans), plus I think they deserve it. Dubreil and Lauzon deserve 2nd, I love their dance this year and they have amazing artistry. Domnina and Shabalin will beat Belbin and Agosto for sure as well as Delobel/Schoenfelder(Europeans was a gift because they won't be getting squat at worlds). Poor Tanith and Ben don't have a shot either...it's really sad, I was actually hoping they will have a chance at 2010 but yeah right now after seeing how the Russians are being built up to be untouchable like Navka/Kostamarov. With great dance years from next year on, B/A should have a clean shot at always being 2nd from now on.

satorare

Match Penalty
My prediction

Men
1. Takahashi
2. Lysacek
3. Joubert
4. Oda
5. Verner

Ladies
1. Asada
2. Ando
3. Meissner
4. Kostner
5. Kim

Pairs
1. Shen&Zhao
2. Zhangs
3. Germans
4. Pet&Tikh
5. Inoue&Baldwin

Dance
1. Russian
2. Canadian
3. French
4. Bulgarian
5. American

momjudi

On the Ice
Even if he doesn't medal, I want Johnny Weir to do well and come away from the competition feeling good about himself.

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
(Hoping for a good placement/dignified finish for Johnny Weir as well. He gets blasted so often and he truly is a good skater.)

I'm looking for an exciting match up in all of the disciplines! There are already a few that seem obvious for a medal... I'm predicting though:

Men:
1. Brian Joubert
2. Jeffrey Buttle
3. Evan Lysacek

Ice Dance:
1. Denkova/Stavitsky or Dubreuil/Lauzon
2. Denkova Stavitsky or Dubreuil/Lauzon
3. Belbin/Agosto

Ladies and pairs seem pretty clear at the moment, so I'm not going to make a prediction concerning them...(Though I hope for a good finish for Joannie Rochette in the ladies!)

Angelluv

Rinkside
I'm really looking forward to the men's competition and hoping that Johnny can do his best. :love:

I'm also looking forward to the ladies especially seeing Yu Na, Mao and Alissa. :rock:

Shen and Zhao are always exciting to watch! :clap: The pairs competition will be interesting as well.

seraf

Rinkside
My prediction

Men
1. Joubert
2. Takahashi
3. Lambiel
4. Weir
5. Griazev/Lutai (ok, I know it's not very likely, but you can always hope, cant you? :) )

Ladies
1. Asada
2. Ando
3. Kostner
4. Kim
5. Meier

Pairs
1. Savchenko&Szolkowy (if they skate as they did at euros they have a great chance to claim the gold...)
2. Shen&Zhao
3. Pet&Tikh (a nice way to end the career)
4. Zhang&Zhang
5. Inoue&Baldwin

Dance
1. Denkova&Staviski (I really hope they get the scores they deserves, especially the PCS scores)
2. Domnina/Shabalin
3. Dubreuil&Lauzon
4. Delobel&Schoenfelder
5. Belbin&Agosto

enlight78

Medalist
I'm realy looking foward to the men's short now the lambiel will be part of Worlds.
To bad ESPN don't think that it is interesting enought to show.:scowl:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
My predictions:

Men:

1. Takahashi
2. Lambiel
3. Joubert
4. Oda
5. Lysacek

Women:

1. Asada
2. Meissner
3. Ando
4. Kim
5. Meier

Pairs:

1)Shen/Zhou
2)Zhang/Zhang
3)Germans
4)Pang/Tong
5)Petrova/Tikhonov

Dance:

1)Dubreuil/Lauzon
2)Domnina/Shabilin
3)Delobel/Schoenfeldner
4)Belbin/Agosto
5)Denkova/Stavinski

The mens gold could go to any of Takahashi, Joubert, or Oda this year depending who hits their performance. Oda's strength is his GOE and short program, and if he skates well his scores in both will go through the roof. It Takahashi skates like he did at NHK or Japanese Nationals he will be nearly impossible to beat on home ice. Joubert needs to max out his jumping layout in the free skate even if he hits, and also put that quad-triple in the short. Lambiel doesnt have a prayer this year, not enough timing and preparation. I dont think Lysacek will win either unless it is a bit of a splatfest.

The womens gold will probably be Asada; but 2nd through 4th will be a real battle with Meissner, Kim, and Ando. Meissner seems to peak when it counts, I have doubts about Ando's consistency and Kim's return from back injury. Meissner's short program woes are a concern too though.

The pairs seems to have Shen/Zhou as favorites and the Germans as their chief challengers. The Zhangs though might finally hit their peak level they havent found all season. The Germans sometimes crumble under pressure, until this season they had never beaten the Zhangs, and they were still nowhere near Shen/Zhou at the GP final, even though their European scores came close. We will see. Pang/Tong are defending champions but have fallen back into the forgotten Chinese team again, but they might surprise as well. Petrova/ Tikhonov dont look like challenging for a medal right now.

The dance is the most intersting event of all this year. I have little idea what will happen except I am certain Domnina/Shabalin will win a medal of some color. Dubreuil/Lauzon could benefit from Denkova/Stavinski's poor showing at Europeans, as they might go from anointed silver/bronze medal winners to a shot at gold, or it might shake up the whole pecking order and push them off the podium. If they skate like they did at Four Continents, especialy in the OD, they are in trouble. The Bulgarians might have fallen out of favor, or Europeans might just be a glitch and a case of a bad judging panel draw. The Americans are improving as the season goes, and their improved FD hopefuly atleast give them a fighting shot at the podium whether they actually get there or not. The French have painfuly been the odd ones out so often, will it happen again with another 4th or 5th or is this their year to get their long awaited medal after their big Europeans win?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After Europeans, I am wondering if DelShoes were given the gold there to make up for their finishing off the World podium once again. One team had to be pushed down, and DenSta were the chosen ones at Euros. Also, there was a French judge on the Euros panel and no Bulgarian judge. But at Worlds, the tables are turned, with a Bulgarian judge and no French judge.

Stay tuned.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
After Europeans, I am wondering if DelShoes were given the gold there to make up for their finishing off the World podium once again. One team had to be pushed down, and DenSta were the chosen ones at Euros. Also, there was a French judge on the Euros panel and no Bulgarian judge. But at Worlds, the tables are turned, with a Bulgarian judge and no French judge.

Stay tuned.

I admit I dont go to the lengths of studying the composition of the judging panels. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Your theory could be well be right, that is why I am intrigued what will happen. If the French finish off the podium at Worlds, particularly if they skate as well as they did at Europeans, it will likely be that their Euro gold was a compensation medal.

Do Russia, the United States, and Canada have a judge on the panel at Worlds?

jennylovskt

Medalist
It would be fun to come back to read this thread after the Worlds, and compare who's prediction is closer.:)

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
It would be fun to come back to read this thread after the Worlds, and compare who's prediction is closer.:)

Since I nailed Kostner as the winner of Euros before, I'd like to make a couple of bold predictions based on some preliminary analysis and common sense.

In my opinion, we're going to see some surprises.

In men's, Brian is not going to get the gold medal.
In ladies', Asada is going to win.
In pairs, Shen & Zhao will not get gold medal, neither will S&S from Germany.
Dance, I know very little, and it's pretty much free for all.