What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds!

I think Russian teams have struggled among themselves. I don't think there is any problem with them on the international scene once they get there.

They seem to all look alike in technique (excellent) and unfortunately, also in style. I don't care what kind of music they use. There is nothing, for me, to see any diversity in the Russian dance teams.

Del/Schern are quite different than the Ducheznays(sp) who are quite different from Annasina and Peizurat(sp)

B&A are quite different than Lang&Tchernychev who are quite different from Greg/Pet.

Borne/Krantz - Dub/Laz.

I think maybe the judges are accustomed to the Russian style and therefore they win every year because that has become the benchmark for the judges. Maybe it's time to reconsider the benchmark.

Joe

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
I think Worlds is going to be pretty exciting this year.... (I'm already looking forward to 2009 though!)

In Ice Dance, I don't remember if I heard right, but Denkova/Staviski are most likely going to hold on for Worlds this year. In their interview during the GPF, they sounded pretty psyched for the rest of the season. (However, I have also seen interviews where they are considering final retirement for next season.) They are going to have difficulty from Dubrieul/Lauzon, but I really think these two are the only real contenders for gold this year. (As much as I love the Americans, etc.) I have also heard talk of Dubrieul/Lauzon trying to stay on until the next Olympics, even in hints from the pair themselves.

The nation for pairs is almost obvious; one of the Chinese pairs will probably win.

The women are a little harder to place. Kimmie is a talented girl, but the asian females coming up this year are likely to oust her. Mao and Yu-Na are the big contenders here, and it's quite hard to place the winner jusbetween them.

In the men, I have a great feeling about Stephane Lambiel. His inconsistencies in training so far and his injury/illness sheet may weigh heavily in some minds; yet he is supremely talented. His big competition is Joubert; I'm sure he also knows this. I feel that he'll step it up a little, and defend the title another year. Regardless though, Joubert is in excellent form. (The others to watch will be Takahashi, Oda and Lysacek. I want to say Jeff Buttle from past experiences. He might medal, but I have yet to see how he will perform this season.) In all seriousness, it isn't Weir's time yet. I don't feel he'll win, much less medal; I do think he will someday.

christinaskater

Medalist
It's between Yu-Na, Mao and Miki! Triple triples are necessary in your arsenal in this era and these 3 are it! Kimmie is also up there in contention!!

Daisuke vs Brian and Nobunari

Helen88

Spectator
I think that even if Kimmie loses her title - and I hope she doesn't - she'll always be remembered as the 2006 World Champion - regardless of what titles follow.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Me too. Most skaters don't even get ONE world championship. Fumie Suguri, Joannie Rochette and Sasha Cohen are on the list of good skaters without a world title and Kimmie managed to win something that the three mentioned above will likely never get.

I'm really hoping Miki recovers from her injury because a contest between her, Mao and Yu Na at peak form will really be something.

I don't think Kimmie is quite in their league at this point, but Worlds will show us if she really has the soul of a great competitor and can rise to defend her title. It would be just amazing if she could beat those three.

And I think the Takahashi-Joubert-Lambiel duel will be thrilling. Two determined challengers and a title-defender coming off the DL ... it should be great.

Not much of a contest in pairs but it's always great to see S/Z. I can't comprehend how anyone could NOT find this an exciting Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Too much to hope Meissner will pull another stunner. I seriously think that if she can pull that off that would be the upset of upsets in FS in a long time.

The "sophomore slump" is not uncommon and I wouldn't be shocked to see Kimmie OTP this year and then come back next year to steal the show. :yes:

scorekeeper

On the Ice
I have to agree with goodbyemylover. Barring injuries and a repeat of whatever it was that made Ando tank her long program in the GP Final, I think it'll be Japan and Korea on the podium this year. None of the European ladies is a threat -- the Russian ladies' team is weak, and the French and German ladies' teams are even weaker. Carolina Kostner, Susanna Pöykiö, and Sarah Meier will probably finish in the top 10, but I don't see them on the podium. Rochette and Meissner are in contention for a medal, but it won't be easy for them.

The men's event will be something to see. Between Lambiel, the French, the Japanese, the Americans (barring injuries), and maybe Griazev, it will be an intense battle for gold/silver/bronze.

lanadd

On the Ice
In the pairs i do expect S/Z to win Gold
Men- Joubert
Dance-after the impressive lead at the GPF- Den/Sta
I don't care much for ladies

Last edited:

Eudgene

Spectator
I'd be pleased if Stephane defends his title but I'd be happy if Brian becomes 1st.He deserved it.And as far as I know Stephane isn't up to power right now.
As for the ladies I root for Kimmie and Y-Na-Kim.
Dance teams???Hmmm...Tanith&Ben.I'm not sure they'd win I just like them both.I guess a top 2 or 3 finish would be good for them.
In pairs I believe one of 2 pairs from Japan would win.
Russians???Believe me there is no one in the Russian team who could win.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Hare are my predictions:

Pairs:

1. Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao
2. Qing Pang and Jian Tong
3. Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang

Men:

1. Brian Joubert
2. Jeffrey Buttle
3. Oda, Takahashi, or Lysacek

I'll be suprised if Stephane Lambiel competes here

Ice Dancing:

This is going to be the hardest

1. Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto
2. Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon
3. Albena Denkova and Maxim Staviski

Ladies:

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Kimmie Meissner
3. Mao Asada

No particular order for either the ice dance and Ladies competition.

Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder could be the obvious spoilers for ice dancing

Carolina Kostner could be the dark horse for the Ladies competition. Although, I doubt anybody is going to touch those top three,

jennylovskt

Medalist
Pairs:

1. Shen /Zhao (Love this pair!)
2. Pang/Tong
3. Zhang/Zhang

Men:

1. Joubert
2. Takahashi or Lysacek
3. one from the second or Buttle

Oda should be higher than Weir. Weir will be in the top six. Bradley will be lower than Weir.

(Assume Lambiel will not be there. If he goes, Lambiel will be gold.)

Ice Dance:

1. Dubrenuil/Lauzon
2. Belbin/Agosto
3. (don't know)

Ladies:

1. Yu-Na Kim (Will she go to the Worlds?)
2. Kimmie Meissner or Mao Asada
3. one from the second or Ando

equestrianguy

On the Ice
lol I like reading comments like that now she's European Champion!

Yeah, she may be the reigning European Champion, but both her SP and LP were far from flawless performances...lol

I'm looking forward to not seeing a US lady on the podium for the first time in a long time..lol :laugh:

gkelly2

Rinkside
I am looking for a second world tittle for DENKOVA STAVISKI (they have a brilliant OD and one of the most difficult FD which is not only a competitive dance but also an art/They were 1st at the GPF-known as a mini WC, but when it comes to big championships,suddenly the judges change their opinions-i hope that even if the tittle is already given,the justice will win overall )

nuge

On the Ice
Me too .I hope Denkova/Staviski skate clean and deserve to win the gold and so end their career on the top spot .:yes:

Also I think if they do defend the title they will treasure it more than their first as it's always harder to stay on top than to get there .IMO

kendall

Match Penalty
Here are my predictions:

Pairs:

1. Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao
2. Qing Pang and Jian Tong
3. Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang

Men:

1. Brian Joubert
2. Jeffrey Buttle
3. Oda, Takahashi, or Lysacek

Ice Dancing:

This is going to be the hardest

1. Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto
2. Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon
3. Albena Denkova and Maxim Staviski

Ladies:

1. Kimmie Meissner
2. Yuna Kim
3. Joannie ROCHETTE
4. Sarah MEIER
5. Mao Asada

I think Mao will place in the top 5 because of her inconsistency. She is just like Sasha Cohen. She always choke in the FS. So, with the pressure of the World, I don't think she can't do it. Therefore, the major contender for 07 Kimmie and Yuna Kim. However, Kimmie has more better chance to win because she has a triple axel and a second triple-triple combination in her program.

enlight78

Medalist
I looking foward to Shen and Zhao doing thier best skate of the season. They are already recieving 8's in ther free PCs. If they get 9's, I'll pee in my pants.