Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds!

Banned
    My predictions:

Men:

1. Takahashi
    2. Lambiel
    3. Joubert
    4. Oda
    5. Lysacek

Women:

1. Asada
    2. Meissner
    3. Ando
    4. Kim
    5. Meier

Pairs:

1)Shen/Zhou
    2)Zhang/Zhang
    3)Germans
    4)Pang/Tong
    5)Petrova/Tikhonov

Dance:

1)Dubreuil/Lauzon
    2)Domnina/Shabilin
    3)Delobel/Schoenfeldner
    4)Belbin/Agosto
    5)Denkova/Stavinski

The mens gold could go to any of Takahashi, Joubert, or Oda this year depending who hits their performance. Oda's strength is his GOE and short program, and if he skates well his scores in both will go through the roof. It Takahashi skates like he did at NHK or Japanese Nationals he will be nearly impossible to beat on home ice. Joubert needs to max out his jumping layout in the free skate even if he hits, and also put that quad-triple in the short. Lambiel doesnt have a prayer this year, not enough timing and preparation. I dont think Lysacek will win either unless it is a bit of a splatfest.

The womens gold will probably be Asada; but 2nd through 4th will be a real battle with Meissner, Kim, and Ando. Meissner seems to peak when it counts, I have doubts about Ando's consistency and Kim's return from back injury. Meissner's short program woes are a concern too though.

The pairs seems to have Shen/Zhou as favorites and the Germans as their chief challengers. The Zhangs though might finally hit their peak level they havent found all season. The Germans sometimes crumble under pressure, until this season they had never beaten the Zhangs, and they were still nowhere near Shen/Zhou at the GP final, even though their European scores came close. We will see. Pang/Tong are defending champions but have fallen back into the forgotten Chinese team again, but they might surprise as well. Petrova/ Tikhonov dont look like challenging for a medal right now.

The dance is the most intersting event of all this year. I have little idea what will happen except I am certain Domnina/Shabalin will win a medal of some color. Dubreuil/Lauzon could benefit from Denkova/Stavinski's poor showing at Europeans, as they might go from anointed silver/bronze medal winners to a shot at gold, or it might shake up the whole pecking order and push them off the podium. If they skate like they did at Four Continents, especialy in the OD, they are in trouble. The Bulgarians might have fallen out of favor, or Europeans might just be a glitch and a case of a bad judging panel draw. The Americans are improving as the season goes, and their improved FD hopefuly atleast give them a fighting shot at the podium whether they actually get there or not. The French have painfuly been the odd ones out so often, will it happen again with another 4th or 5th or is this their year to get their long awaited medal after their big Europeans win?

Custom Title
    After Europeans, I am wondering if DelShoes were given the gold there to make up for their finishing off the World podium once again. One team had to be pushed down, and DenSta were the chosen ones at Euros. Also, there was a French judge on the Euros panel and no Bulgarian judge. But at Worlds, the tables are turned, with a Bulgarian judge and no French judge.

Stay tuned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    After Europeans, I am wondering if DelShoes were given the gold there to make up for their finishing off the World podium once again. One team had to be pushed down, and DenSta were the chosen ones at Euros. Also, there was a French judge on the Euros panel and no Bulgarian judge. But at Worlds, the tables are turned, with a Bulgarian judge and no French judge.

Stay tuned.
    I admit I dont go to the lengths of studying the composition of the judging panels. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Your theory could be well be right, that is why I am intrigued what will happen. If the French finish off the podium at Worlds, particularly if they skate as well as they did at Europeans, it will likely be that their Euro gold was a compensation medal.

Do Russia, the United States, and Canada have a judge on the panel at Worlds?

Custom Title
    It would be fun to come back to read this thread after the Worlds, and compare who's prediction is closer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    It would be fun to come back to read this thread after the Worlds, and compare who's prediction is closer.
    Since I nailed Kostner as the winner of Euros before, I'd like to make a couple of bold predictions based on some preliminary analysis and common sense.

In my opinion, we're going to see some surprises.

In men's, Brian is not going to get the gold medal.
    In ladies', Asada is going to win.
    In pairs, Shen & Zhao will not get gold medal, neither will S&S from Germany.
    Dance, I know very little, and it's pretty much free for all.

Banned
    Picking Asada to win is not bold at all, picking anything other then that at this point would be bold. Picking neither Shen/Zhou or the Germans to win the pairs is indeed bold at this point though. Picking Joubert not to win the mens isnt that bold, with his recent foot injury, and his not-so-outstanding Europeans, and the fact he doesnt max out potential jump layout in his free skate despite all his quads, and has yet to do quad-triple in the short this year, the mens is still open to a number of potential winners.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    IDo Russia, the United States, and Canada have a judge on the [ice dance] panel at Worlds?

Here are the judges for the 4 disciplines

MEN:
    (SP) BLR, BUL, GER, ISR, ROM, RUS, SRB, SVK, RSA, SWE, SUI, USA
    (FS) CAN, FRA, GBR, SLO plus 8 judges drawn at random from the SP panel

LADIES:
    (SP) AUT, CAN, CRO, EST, HUN, ITA, KOR, ROM, SVK, SWE, TUR, USA
    (FS) FIN, FRA, JPN, RUS plus 8 judges drawn at random from the SP panel

PAIRS:
    (SP) AUS, BUL, CAN, CHN, FRA, GER, POL, RUS, UKR, USA, UZB plus one judge chosen from a Singles panel.
    (FS) same as SP

ICE DANCE:
    (CD) AUS, AZE, CAN, CHN, GER, ISR, ITA, POL, RUS, UKR, USA, UZB
    (OD/FD) BUL, CZE, JPN, LTU plus 8 judges drawn at random from the SP panel

Note that the ICE DANCE panel for the CD has 4 former SSR judges. If all 4 of those judges are selected for the OD and/or FD panels, the total number of SSR judges could be 5 (AZE, RUS, UKR, UZB, LTU). Note also that the AZE and UZB judges are both Russian, "on loan" to those countries. Some of the ISR judges (Katalin Alpern and Alfred Korytek) originally judged for former SSRs too. So potentially, the Dance panel could be 1/2 former SSRs.

That's one of the reasons why I feel that it is virtually certain that Domnina/Shabalin will be on the podium, perhaps on top.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveaxel View Post
    Since I nailed Kostner as the winner of Euros before, I'd like to make a couple of bold predictions based on some preliminary analysis and common sense.

In my opinion, we're going to see some surprises.

In men's, Brian is not going to get the gold medal.
    In ladies', Asada is going to win.
    In pairs, Shen & Zhao will not get gold medal, neither will S&S from Germany.
    Dance, I know very little, and it's pretty much free for all.
    Your prediction in men's is possible since Lambiel has come back. I think Lambiel will be gold and Joubert will be silver.

Shen & Zhao will be gold. Pray for them.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-06-2007 at 01:11 AM.

Custom Title
    In Pairs, who but Shen/Zhao or Savchenko/Szolkowy could possibly win the gold medal? Pang/Tong are a bit off this season due to her kidney infection. Zhang/Zhang haven't been great either. Petrova/Tikhonov have faded badly.

Shen/Zhao have won every competition they've entered so far this season. The only team who can challenge them are the Germans, and if they skate as well at Worlds as they did at Euros, there could be a very tight contest.

But past those two, I don't see any team that could challenge either of them in any way. Zhang/Zhang finished more than 10 points behind the Germans at the GPF, and the Germans finished more than 12 points behind S/Z.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Your prediction in men's is possible since Lambiel has come back. I think Lambiel will be gold and Joubert will be silver. The bronze is wide open. Takahashi, Oda, Buttle, and Lysacek, depends on who skates clean and who has the quad. Evan may be pushed off the podium. Johnny, Johnny, I don't think he has the right set of the mind for even a great skating right now. Even though I really want to see him come back strong.

Asada might win because Kim's health is in question at this point.

In pairs, I still think Shen & Zhao will win. Pray for them.

In dance, Tanith & Ben will not get the gold. I picked the Canadian pairs to win but I actually don't know much about it either.
    Brian's trajection is not good. He peaked too soon, coupled with injury. He's definitely medal though. No. I don't believe Lambiel will get gold either. His conditioning is far from ideal if you watched a clip of his recent touring. 3A is still AWOL, i doubt his quad is nearly as reliable as last year. The gold medal will likely go to Takahashi or Lysacek.My pick is Lasacek. Many 'diehards' don't like his skating. That's one reason I picked him. The less you want it to happen, the more likely it will happen.

Shen & Zhao are still the heavy favourite, but one pair may surprise us if they make some mistakes.

Custom Title
    Brian's trajection is not good. He peaked too soon, coupled with injury. He's definitely medal though. No. I don't believe Lambiel will get gold either. His conditioning is far from ideal if you watched a clip of his recent touring. 3A is still AWOL, i doubt his quad is nearly as reliable as last year. The gold medal will likely go to Takahashi or Lysacek.My pick is Lasacek. Many 'diehards' don't like his skating. That's one reason I picked him. The less you want it to happen, the more likely it will happen.

Shen & Zhao are still the heavy favourite, but one pair may surprise us if they make some mistakes.
    :chorus: Lysacek gets gold?! Not a chance with all those names on the long list ahead of him.

Go NJ Devils
    I'm looking forward to the Men's competition, and to seeing a number of skaters who won't make US TV on FSVids.

Custom Title
    And which pair do you think has the capability to surprise? At the GPF, S/Z finished 12 points ahead of the Germans and more than 22 points ahead of Zhang/Zhang. They'd have to make 3 or 4 mistakes to finish behind those two teams.

Banned
    Here are the judges for the 4 disciplines

MEN:
    (SP) BLR, BUL, GER, ISR, ROM, RUS, SRB, SVK, RSA, SWE, SUI, USA
    (FS) CAN, FRA, GBR, SLO plus 8 judges drawn at random from the SP panel

LADIES:
    (SP) AUT, CAN, CRO, EST, HUN, ITA, KOR, ROM, SVK, SWE, TUR, USA
    (FS) FIN, FRA, JPN, RUS plus 8 judges drawn at random from the SP panel

PAIRS:
    (SP) AUS, BUL, CAN, CHN, FRA, GER, POL, RUS, UKR, USA, UZB plus one judge chosen from a Singles panel.
    (FS) same as SP

ICE DANCE:
    (CD) AUS, AZE, CAN, CHN, GER, ISR, ITA, POL, RUS, UKR, USA, UZB
    (OD/FD) BUL, CZE, JPN, LTU plus 8 judges drawn at random from the SP panel

Note that the ICE DANCE panel for the CD has 4 former SSR judges. If all 4 of those judges are selected for the OD and/or FD panels, the total number of SSR judges could be 5 (AZE, RUS, UKR, UZB, LTU). Note also that the AZE and UZB judges are both Russian, "on loan" to those countries. Some of the ISR judges (Katalin Alpern and Alfred Korytek) originally judged for former SSRs too. So potentially, the Dance panel could be 1/2 former SSRs.

That's one of the reasons why I feel that it is virtually certain that Domnina/Shabalin will be on the podium, perhaps on top.
    Thanks for listing the judges of each event. Well the dance panel is interesting with so many former Soviet republic representatives. I always thoughts Domnina/Shabalin were in good shape for Worlds this year even before I was aware of the distribution of the panel. Now they look like in even better shape for Worlds, a gold medal is an even stronger possibility with that panel. No French judge for certain in the dance event, Isabelle and Olivier are already in big trouble. A Bulgarian judge for certain in the free dance, good news for the Bulgarians as well. Which one of Dubreuil/Lauzon or Belbin/Agosto gets their judge drawn for the free dance panel(although could end up being neither or both)could be critical in who rounds out the podium if the Russians and Bulgarians make it, and the French are left off.

A Japanese judge for certain in the womens free skate is good news for Asada and Ando, maybe even Nakano(although she is real long shot this year). Will be interesting which ones of the American, Canadian, and Italian judges gets picked for the free skate. No Swiss judge for even the short program, probably not good news for Meier.

Joubert and Buttle will be very happy to have a judge secured for the final free skate already. Lambiel and Lysacek will be hoping for one to be drawn probably.
    No Japanese judge for certain in the mens event, very interesting to see what impact that potentially has.

Germany and China both have a judge in both SP and LP for the pairs event. Evens out there. Petrova/Tikhonov and the other russians have their judge for both programs too. The teams fighting for top 10 spots like Canada, U.S, and Poland all have one for both programs too. The pairs event will be the least influenced by the judging panel composition.

Banned
    And which pair do you think has the capability to surprise? At the GPF, S/Z finished 12 points ahead of the Germans and more than 22 points ahead of Zhang/Zhang. They'd have to make 3 or 4 mistakes to finish behind those two teams.
    The Zhangs definitely have not skated anywhere near their potential, except for the Skate Canada short program, yet this year. Granted there is a good chance they wont end up doing it at Worlds this year either, given how much they have struggled this season it seems very likely. However the GPF would definitely not reflect anywhere near their potential.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast