Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What I am looking forward to at the 2007 Worlds!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    :chorus: Lysacek gets gold?! Not a chance with all those names on the long list ahead of him.
    I am no Lysacek fan but I do believe he has a shot at the gold medal this year. He isnt the favorite by any means but he is a definite player this year going in. His free skate at the Four Continents was not quite clean and it still almost got a 159.23 That alone shows he is definitely capable of atleast a 160 free skate, and just as he was very consistent pulling off clean free skate or near-clean free skate after another pre-quad, his last 2 free skates give early signs he still has that consistency even with the addition of a quad. Lambiel has only scored a 160.90 in the free skate once, and that was in the qualifying round of Worlds last year, I definitely believe his scoring potential is alot higher then that, atleast if a triple axel is included, but that is the facts of now . Joubert has done it once this year but it was only a 160.13 even with 3 quads, and his jump layout was not maxed out enough to take advantage of those multiple quads; at Eric Bompard he in fact scored only a 153.73 with 2 quads and a pretty clean performance. Takahashi scored a 163.49 and Oda a 161.01 at NHK for pretty much optimum performances on home ice(although it will be home ice for both again at worlds). So in the free skate Evan is definitely competitive with all the contenders this year. In the short program I am not as sure, he has had trouble skating clean shorts, and I am not sure if he can score as high as the others in the short even if he does, still if he does a clean short he should atleast not be totally out of the running.

All those guys either have trouble putting back to back clean programs with a quad and triple axel. Takahashi has done it at both NHL and Japanese Nationals but will he under the pressure of Worlds. Lambiel almost never did a triple axel cleanly, even when he was having his best success and was fully trained. Oda is pretty consistent most of the time with jumps, but has no quad, he might be trying one at worlds, I have not heard confirmation either way yet. Joubert has been very consistent this season, but wasnt spectacular at Europeans and is coming off an injury, and is often not doing the quad-triple in the short, instead only a quad-double, as well as his jump layout in the long I spoke of earlier.
    Last edited by slutskayafan21; 03-06-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    [QUOTE=slutskayafan21;234696]Thanks for listing the judges of each event. Well the dance panel is interesting with so many former Soviet republic representatives. I always thoughts Domnina/Shabalin were in good shape for Worlds this year even before I was aware of the distribution of the panel. Now they look like in even better shape for Worlds, a gold medal is an even stronger possibility with that panel. No French judge for certain in the dance event, Isabelle and Olivier are already in big trouble. A Bulgarian judge for certain in the free dance, good news for the Bulgarians as well. Which one of Dubreuil/Lauzon or Belbin/Agosto gets their judge drawn for the free dance panel(although could end up being neither or both)could be critical in who rounds out the podium if the Russians and Bulgarians make it, and the French are left off.
    QUOTE]

I don't know why everybody thinks the 4 judges drawn for the OD segment will be for sure in the FD??The second segment is the OD for ice dancing and the Free skate for pairs,ladies and men events. In the ISU page it is written that If there is a third segment to skate (Free Dance), the panel of Judges will be drawn on site amongst all Judges present and available for this Championship with a priority of those Judges, who have already judged the previous segments

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    what i am looking foward to is....
    The japanese ladies showdown

Brain battleing lambiel

evan and his wonderful quad

kimmie ( can she defend her title?)

Shen and Zhao winning a third world title

Guessing who will win the dance gold

alissa cizny's first worlds

let's face it... everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *~RussianBleux~* View Post
    I agree about S/S being top 3, I just don't think it will be a Chinese sweep.

My predictions:

Mens:
    1.) Brian Joubert
    2.) Evan Lysacek
    3.) Jeff Buttle
    4.) Daisuke Takahashi
    5.) Nobunari Oda

Ladies:
    1.) Mao Asada
    2.) Kimmie Meissner
    3.) Yu-Na Kim
    4.) Miki Ando
    5.) Carolina Kostner

Pairs:
    1.) Xue Shen/Hongo Zhao
    2.) Dan Zhang/Hao Zhang
    3.) Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy
    4.) Qing Pang/Jian Tong
    5.) Rena Inoue/John Baldwin

Dance:
    1.) Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski
    2.) Marie-France Dubreil/Patrice Lauzon
    3.) Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin
    4.) Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto
    5.) Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder

i think these are great predictions... but what about stephane lambiel. he will probably mess up your top five somewhere. otherwise, i will agree with you!

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    My predictions:

Men
    1. Brian Joubert
    2. Stephane Lambiel
    3. Evan Lysacek

I think Joubert will have a killer FS landing all 3 quads and if not all, most of his jumps. I dont really know about Lambiel, but I feel as if he wont come up on top, especially if he doesnt land his Triple Axel. I think Lysacek will fall in the short, but come back with a killer long landing all his jumps, even the Quad-Triple combo.

Pairs
    1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    3. Zhang/Zhang

Shen and Zhao have just been breathtaking this season so I'm pretty sure the gold is theirs. However, Savchenko and Szolkowy have also been amazing (Take a look at their 2007 Euro FS). Aside from their lifts, their program is also challenging as well. And although I would rather Pang and Tong to take 3rd, I feel as if Zhang and Zhang will take that spot, IF they have a good FS.

Ladies
    1. Yuna Kim
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Kimmie Meissner

I really want Yuna Kim to win over Mao. She has the artistry and the jumps in which can give her the gold but I dont know if she's consistant enough and if she isnt, then the gold will most likely go to Mao. But I feel that Mao will possibly bomb her FS but still have a great SP to put her into 2nd. I also think Kimmie will come in 4th for her SP behind Miki, but will then come in 2nd for her FS nailing every jump perfectly (And hopefully nailing that Triple Axel of hers perfectly as well). I love Kimmie's FS this year and hope she at least gets a medal. Well that's just my opinion...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i think these are great predictions... but what about stephane lambiel. he will probably mess up your top five somewhere. otherwise, i will agree with you!
    Any prediction made before the first day of the 26th would be not knowing Lambiel is in the event.

Tripping on the Podium
    With Lambiel back, I'd say Evan's chance for gold has gone down considerably. Since his performance at Nationals, also, I think his ability has gone down a bit as well. Many might think I'm insane by this statement; yes, I know how incredible his technical side was. However, the Carmen program is now missing much of its more interesting choreography; it seems more like a series of jumps. It seems less interesting.

It is a good reminder that Evan has one quad under his belt at the moment; without making that quad, the chance he has disappears. He can be overtaken by any of the other men in this case. Even with a clean skate, Joubert and Lambiel only have to skate decently, with both quads in tow.

I won't discount Evan anymore than it seems I am. However, I do really believe his chances for gold, perhaps silver, have diminished considerably.

Banned
    I love Lambiel but I have serious doubts about his chances this year. If he doesnt attempt a triple axel he will need all his quads. He hasnt been seen by the judges much this year, I am not sure if that helps him, but then again maybe that is balanced out by being the 2 time reigning World Champion. I am not sure what to expect from him but the events he has been in this year dont auger well.

Banned
    I feel Lambiel is not serious this year. He may be pressured by his sponsor (Fuji Xerox) or begged by the Swiss federation to "participate".
    Even with last year's performance, it's very difficult to have a medal, much less the gold.

Tripping on the Podium
    With Lambiel, personally, I'm going to discard all thoughts of what he's done this year in competition. I think it really wasn't what he is truly capable of, a product of his loss of competitive fire. His face at Skate Canada when he won was something else; he knew he shouldn't have won there. It must have been a feeling like, "Why try anymore?"

He has been consistant in the past, though the triple jumps are usually his big "Whoops" elements. His presence will also be a pressure to his opponents. To a few of them, it was easy before. Now, there will be yet another to worry about; one who has won silver at the Olympics and the World title twice.

I do understand your doubts though! His slips and mistakes were very discouraging at the beginning of the season.

There should be good and challenging events in Ladies and Men. I give Mao 70% for the win with 30% trickling down among several other possible skaters.

For the Men it is even steven for Daisuke, Nobunari, Joubert, Lambiel - one of those 4 will win. Spoilers who may rise to the occasion depending on how well the fab four skate, could be Jefffey or Evan.

Pairs will be interesting to see if any team other than Chinese gets on the podium.

Dance - I hate to say it but I do not trust this Division to be above board.

Joe

Banned
    Oda changes his FS program to "Mission Impossible".
    Something suites his personality better than Tchaikovsky's Symphony.
    And he's serious about including a quad.
    If he hits it, he can be a good candidate for a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by satorare View Post
    Oda changes his FS program to "Mission Impossible". Something suites his personality better than Tchaikovsky's Symphony.
    This will be an interesting choice. The Mission Impossible theme is in five/four time, which makes for a funny cadence (although Lu Chen did a nifty job with Take Five.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This will be an interesting choice. The Mission Impossible theme is in five/four time, which makes for a funny cadence (although Lu Chen did a nifty job with Take Five.)
    Did lulu perform take five any more than the SP in 1997 worlds?

Ant

if oda hits a quad, and hits the other jumps.... he could easily win. Our prediction are gonna keep getting messed around. I don't think he will though... i havn't heard any quad talk before. I think he will wait on it. but then again.. who knows??

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast