Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skaters You Feel Left The Scene Too Soon

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    Not that he had any choice in the matter, but Yagudin. I would have liked to see him compete under CoP (other than a Japanese cheesefest that he's the only one who's never done CoP before), and I think without his injury, he could have remained a strong competitor.
    Oh Kasey, you're my idol. I think the same thing. I know without his injury that he would have been one of the toughest competitors.

Dee

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    What happened to Jamie S.??

Dee

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=JonnyCoop]
    Gillian Wachsmann & Todd Waggoner. Anyone remember the 1986 National Pairs champions? They finished 4th in the short at the Calgary Olys, and had a wonderful long program that might have given them the bronze -- had mistakes not been made. Also finished 5th in Worlds that year. I was very disappointed when they opted not to continue the next season; I think they could have ended up with a Worlds medal.

Lisa Spitz & Scott Gregory. It's a shame these two broke up; yes, Scott went on to greater success with Suzanne Semanick, but I liked the stuff he did with Lisa better.

Jamie Silverstein. Jamie, Jamie, come back!! She and Justin Pekerak were great together, she was terrific with Ryan O'Meara -- she's just fabulous and I'd love to see more of her.

JonnyCoop - Thanks for bringing up these three acts. Yes, I agree, W&W was my favorite new pair and I believed that they were headed for great things after the Calgary Olympics. I was shocked when I heard they were just dropping skating completely.

Lisa Spitz and Scott Gregory - OBoy, what a wonderfully entertaining couple they were! They made me enjoy ice dancing more than any other discipline at that time. I followed their career very closely for 5 seasons and I even purchased videos of many of their non-televised performances, while taping everything else. In 1986 I wrote a letter to Lisa through the USFSA, and she wrote back the most wonderful letter I ever received from a skater! She had wanted to complete her college education as soon as she could, and I believe she started it at the Univ.of Maryland and finished it at a smaller college in New Jersey. She was hoping to be a sports psychologist. I haven't heard anything since then other than she was teaching skating at the Essex Skating Club, I believe.
    I have something like 12 HOURS of their skating, and am preparing to transfer all of it to DVD sometime this year. I still wonder about Lisa to this day.

When I watch Jamie Silverstein, she makes me think of Lisa!! Lisa had that same enthusiasm, the black hair, the flair for comic moves in skating, and the big smile! I hope Jamie will come back someday.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    That was an interesting program, but I never cared much for the partnership; I thought that Stephanie and her first partner, Lance Travis, were a much better match than her and Zimmerman. JMHO.
    I never saw her perform with Lance Travis. I wish I had. I liked her very much.

Custom Title
    That was an interesting program, but I never cared much for the partnership; I thought that Stephanie and her first partner, Lance Travis, were a much better match than her and Zimmerman. JMHO.
    I liked John Zimmerman better with Stephanie Stiegler than with Kyoko Ina. I really liked their Sorcerer's apprentice LP. I read that John decided not to skate with Stephanie because her injury kept her off the ice, and because he decided to skate with Kyoko.

I remember the name Lance Travis but I don't recall any particular program skated by him (and obviously I did not notice that the partner was S.Stiegler).

Vash

Custom Title
    Add to the list-

Yukina Ota- I was so looking forward to her development as a skater, but it seems her injuries pretty much ended her career prematurely.

Anenko & Sretenski- I loved this ice dance team from USSR in the 1988 Olys. They placed 4th there, which means they could have medalled in the 1989 worlds, but they turned pro instead. They developed as pros and became one of my favorite ice dancers. However, they never won a medal at worlds.

AP McDonough

Ilia Kulik

M&D- They were great and they could have been even greater. What a pity that they split.

Sarah Hughes- She won the OGM too soon and there was no incentive for her to improve her skating.

Caryn Kadavy- She turned pro after the 1988 Olys. I wish she had stayed eligible a few more years and won some world medals.

Selezneva-Makarov: They won the 1984 Oly bronze at a very young age. I wish they have stayed eligible past 1989 (they missed 1989 worlds because she was sick).

Oksana Baiul- Had she not turned pro at age 17, we might have seen her develop as a skater.

Vash

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    I liked John Zimmerman better with Stephanie Stiegler than with Kyoko Ina.
    ITA.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    ITA as well. I thought John & Kyoko, in their last eligible season, actually finally did start to gel as a pair and they skated some very good performances then, but up until then, I just never saw that partnership really taking off or gathering steam. I think part of it was their styles were so different and didn't especially mesh. And I think the other part of it was, Tamara Moskvina wasn't even really trying with those two. Certainly she would not want them outskating any of her Russian pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s

When I watch Jamie Silverstein, she makes me think of Lisa!! Lisa had that same enthusiasm, the black hair, the flair for comic moves in skating, and the big smile! I hope Jamie will come back someday.
    You know -- you're right. Lisa's been gone from the scene so long it never occured to me to draw parallels with Jamie, but yeah -- there is a certain similarity there.

Custom Title
    Denise- Her skating definitely could have beat out the top ladies in 1984. Her problem was she was ahead of her time.

John and Kyoko- It would have been interesting to see them come back after their suspension.

Krisiti- Interesting topic While her performance in 92 wasn't the best ever. She was consistently better than either Baiul or Kerrigan and beat them in the pro ranks.

Jenny Kirk- I wonder had she known if Michelle would be injured and another spot woulde end up being available Would she have stayed?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Michelle Kwan, LOL. Maybe she can get a hip replacement and give us 10 more years?
    I know you're kidding, but if she were to retire now, I'd add her to this list. :frown2: It's too soon to retire! We want to see your Tarasova programs!

I fear Yukina Ota may end up on this list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear
    I fear Yukina Ota may end up on this list.
    Yukina is already on my list.

Custom Title
    ITA as well. I thought John & Kyoko, in their last eligible season, actually finally did start to gel as a pair and they skated some very good performances then, but up until then, I just never saw that partnership really taking off or gathering steam. I think part of it was their styles were so different and didn't especially mesh. And I think the other part of it was, Tamara Moskvina wasn't even really trying with those two. Certainly she would not want them outskating any of her Russian pairs.

Are you kidding? If it were not for Moskvina's coaching, I doubt that John & Kyoko would have made it as far as they did. They were so completely different from each other and had so many deficiencies that they had to learn the basics first. That is why it took them so long to take off as a pair. It's not like Tamara held them back; John was never consistent with the sbs jumps. One thing that he had with his former partner (Stephanie Stiegler) was his artistry. I did not see much of that when he skated with Kyoko but they were more consistent, except when they were awarded a world bronze (2002) after a very poor performance. I am sure Moskvina's choreography had something to do with it.

Vash

Custom Title
    Yukina is already on my list.
    Oops! Sorry, I missed that for some reason. I must be in denial mode.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Are you kidding? If it were not for Moskvina's coaching, I doubt that John & Kyoko would have made it as far as they did. They were so completely different from each other and had so many deficiencies that they had to learn the basics first. That is why it took them so long to take off as a pair. It's not like Tamara held them back; John was never consistent with the sbs jumps. One thing that he had with his former partner (Stephanie Stiegler) was his artistry. I did not see much of that when he skated with Kyoko but they were more consistent, except when they were awarded a world bronze (2002) after a very poor performance. I am sure Moskvina's choreography had something to do with it.

Vash
    Well -- when you put it like that..... I will concede you made a few valid points. Perhaps I just expected too much of Moskvina; certainly, in the past she was able to correct in a rather short amount of time compared to how long it took with Kyoko & Joyhn, style disparities between the two members of the pairs she had coached.

However, even if John had been able to consistently land his sbs jumps even right off the bat, I don't think they would have been much more succesful than they were, simply because their styles WERE so different. They just did not seem to have ANY chemistry between them whatsoever. Certainly, they're not the first pair to come along without any real chemistry (which they did more or less develop later), but IMO, with them, it was a VERY extreme case.

Custom Title
    Lisa Spitz & Scott Gregory. It's a shame these two broke up; yes, Scott went on to greater success with Suzanne Semanick, but I liked the stuff he did with Lisa better.
    Trivia: Scott Gregory is married to Kimmie Meissner's coach, Pamela Duane Gregory (both coach at UDel), and they have a young daughter.

Add to the list-

Yukina Ota- I was so looking forward to her development as a skater, but it seems her injuries pretty much ended her career prematurely.

Selezneva-Makarov: They won the 1984 Oly bronze at a very young age. I wish they have stayed eligible past 1989 (they missed 1989 worlds because she was sick).
    I believe Yukina Ota may be trying to make a comeback in eligible skating *if* she can recover fully from her injury (fingers crossed!).

More trivia: Selezneva & Makarov are married, coach in N.Y., and have a talented skater daughter who's currently competing at the Novice level.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-28-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast