Why do you girls go it to yourself? | Golden Skate

Why do you girls go it to yourself?

K

Kzarah

Why do you girls go it to yourself?

Why do you girls go it to yourself? Particularly, Why do you girls go it to yourself on the eve of a big event?
My friend LaFonda has been off work for a couple of months recuperating from a double masectomy. Tomorrow, she returns to work. She is our friend of many years and is very dear to us. Now she lives across the street. My partner, Kevin, is a hair dresser and can do anything with any hair. So LaFonda has her daughter put highlights into her hair. There is no way to describe how it came out but ,when, she came over a few minutes ago to have Kevin look at her hair, (nearly in tears,) Kevin put a clown nose on. I don't understand why she doesn't call Kevin in the first place. He does her for free and all she has to do is walk across the street. She know's she going to end up here anyway. When, I ask her this she can only answer, I don't know! Then, her eyes tear up again.
My friend Nikki was going to her boyfriends family reunion. I guess she wanted a really clean under arm. So, she gets this hair wax removal stuff. I guess you put it on hot and when it dries you rip the hair out. Well, the wax wouldn't come off. Her daughter kept tugging on the wax but she started to bleed and hurt. So, Nikki looks on the wax removal instructions and it clearly says, "DON'T US THIS PRODUCT ON UNDER ARM HAIR!" Well, eventually it did come off. However, her underarms were blistered and she couldn't put her arms down or use deoderant. Anyway, she said her hair and dress looked pretty.
But, Kevin comes home all the time and tells about somebody who tried to:cut their bangs, trim their split ends, straighten their hair, perm their hair, using sun in into their hair, the list go on. It's always before a wedding, job enterview, before a familly picture, is taken.

I don't mean to emply that men don't do similar things. One time, I saw on TV the people, use two sided tape on their eye lids to give themselves a more useful look. I had the bright idea to use spirit gum, (the stuff you use on Holloween to glue mustaches on) on my eye lids. Will, I glued my eye open and had to manually blink for a couple of hours until the stuff loosened up. So men do things as well, but it just seems like women do it over and over again and never learn their lesson.

For those of you who do this, tell me what you did that didn't come out and are you a repeat offender.

R

RealtorGal

Re: Why do you girls go it to yourself?

<span style="color:green;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I've trimmed RG Jr.'s bangs a number of times over the years, and I've uttered the word "oops" quite often! :lol: :lol: :lol: Luckily, she's a good sport. Last time she needed her bangs trimmed, however, she went to Daddy. He did a very good job, I must admit.</span> :D

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Maybe LaFonda feels guilty about asking Kevin for a favor on a regular basis.</span>

D

Dee4707

I don't know if this falls into the category you're talking about but this incident happend after a wonderful evening. A friend had invited me to a very nice and expensive restaurant and I wanted to look very nice and used a lot of eye makeup. When the evening was over, I was removing my makeup and needed to use the stuff you clean your eye makeup off. After a few glasses of wine,:rolleyes: let's just say all my faculties were not present.:lol: :lol: I reached into the medicine cabinet and pulled out a bottle thinking it was the eye makeup removar and applied it with a cotton ball. I noticed a very strong smell and after I wiped what I put on --- I noticed it was the finger nail polish remover.:eek: Need I say that that scared the hell out of me. Thank God, I was OK.

Dee

L

Ladskater

Do you mean why do you girls do it to yourselves? Well, my last hair cut by a stylist was a horrible mistake! My usual stylist was busy so I took a chance with another hair cutter and boy did she cut!! My hair is really, really thick - she cut my bangs so short they practically stand up! Of course, my hair is stuborn and now wants to go back to the way it normally lies. The style she gave me is lost. I can't do anything with it. It's going to take months for it to grow out and look half decent. I now wish I would have turned on my heels and walked out when I saw my stylist was too busy. Learned a lesson!

Having a bad hair day!

Ladskater

R

rgirl181

True, Kzarah, it's not just girls. When I was a dancer, one of the men got contact lenses. When does he decide to use them for the first time? During our premiere performance for our home season. Didn't even try them in rehearsal. Just decided to wear them for the first time during the actual performance. He was my partner during this one piece and he was never where he was supposed to be and every time I was close to him, I could see his eyes were all squinty. It turned out he was allergic to the solution for the contacts (this was 1980, before they had all the new contacts). He used some other nonchemical solution, but why the heck put something in your eyes for the first time when you're going to be performing?

But I know what you mean. I've known so many women who go to a hairdresser they've never been to before to fix them up for their prom or wedding even and come out looking like the bride of Frankenstein. Fortunately I never had that urge.
Rgirl

D

dlksk8fan

It's because we think we have too!:lol: I've given up trying to find someone who can cut my hair good. I always end up re-cutting it myself when I get home. No matter if I spend $15 or $50 I cannot find anyone that knows how to cut curly hair good. If Kevin knows anyone good down in the San Diego area let me know.

Last year when I was in Hawaii one of the ladies with our group went to the spa to get a bikini wax. She ended up with more then a wax when some of her skin came off! She ended up not able to wear a bathing suit because she had this really big red welt on her skin.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;"><strong>I know a wonderful stylist in San Marcos, not too far from you.</strong></span> :D

K

Kzarah

dlksk8fan
I ask Kevin If he knows anyone in the San Diego area who cuts hair. Kevin gives great hair cuts. Do you have problem hair? He's been doing it 25 years or so.
The bikini wax bit is hard to understand. Even if you don't pull off pieces of your skin, it's gotta hurt. Just wear bloomers.
Daniel and Little Lulu

D

dlksk8fan

RealtorGal- please pass on the stylist information.

Daniel-I have problem hair! Because of my thyroid condition my hair is very dry and falling out (thank goodness I have lots of it:p ) To top it off it is turning grey! It has a life of its own.

J

JOHIO2

Hi Daniel,

I say nerves are one big problem before a big event. My daughter, who has been coloring her hair since she was 11 or 12, was getting ready for a big presentation at work. It was her first major presentation and she was nervous. After spending most of Saturday working on her presentation, she decided she'd feel more confident if she changed her hair by adding highlights. Well, since you live with Kevin and he's a hairdresser, you can guess what happened. She was an emotional mess.

Next day, a Sunday, she found a spa-type salon where a hairdresser was able to fix the color disaster. She also got a manicure and a facial and spent about $200. The next day's presentation went well, but what she really remembers is messing up her hair.

The problem with experimenting with hair is that it is so unforgiving! A bad makeup job can be washed off, but a bad haircut or color or perm can stick around for what seems forever. My daughter has colored her hair so long, that she basically has forgotten what color she started with. Another coloring mistake was trying to match my hair color. I have dark brown hair - it looked awful with her lighter skin and blue eyes! I actually think some of her cherry red and dark purple experiments looked better on her. For some reason, she is always trying to get me to change my hair color. Guess she thinks I'm too gray. I tell her I earned every single one of those gray hairs! They're mine and I like them. I figure, if someone else doesn't like them, I at least can chalk it up to their problem - that's just the way I am.

Oh well.....

K

Kzarah

dlksk8fan
I now present to you Kevin.

Hey, I had a client who's normally thick hair (about 2 peoples heads of hair) became so dry and thin I could hardly do anything with it. It made me very nervous, because this is usually health related somehow. I finally got up the nerve one day to ask her (I hate to pry) if she had started a new medication or had her dosage changed. She said..."As a matter of fact yes, my Dr. has been adjusting my thyroid medication. I will tell him what you have noticed."

Her hair started getting back to normal soon after and is now all that it was before, for several years now. However I have noticed it just recently that it is starting to get very dry again, and my brushes are a bit on the hairy side when finished blowing her dry. I guess it is time to get a little nosey with her again.

In the hair business, it is very easy to spot medication, health and even sometimes recreational drug problems in peoples hair. Anything we put in our bodies...shows up in our hair within about 24 hours. It can be scary sometimes and can also tell an interesting story.

You might want to mention to your Dr. (if you haven't already) about your hair loss, and it's dryness. Perhaps your medication could be adjusted.

As for the curly hair cuts...if the person in San Marcos doesn't work out, and you are ever in Newport Beach Ca. look me up...I can cut a mean head of curly hair, I have dealt with my own for years!

K

Kzarah

dlksk8fan
Kevin didn't know to sign off, Daniel, Little Lulu and Kevin
Daniel and Little Lulu

G

Glacierskater

Ladskater

Ladskater,
I had a similar experience to yours. I had a great stylist that was too busy to get me in one day so she set me up with with new person that was working in her salon. She had a cute hair cut, so why not? As I am talking to her she is telling me her life story, been in rehab, abused child, just got divorced, lost custody her her kids, etc. When she got done with my color and my cut, it was not good. I am not sure what to call it...she razored the heck out of it and I had all of these crazy ends. Some of my hair was 1/2 in short, other parts it was 4 inches. People would look at me and they were not sure whether to mention it or not. Finally about a week later, I went to my normal stylist and she tried to fix it. It took months to grow out.
TWO YEARS LATER:
Again, my regular stylist could not get me in. So they said that they could put me with so and so. I think that this is okay. This is higher end salon that caters the finer side of life. I don't my hair done often there, so it is important that I get my money's worth. I thought that I would treat myself to a latte before I pampered myself at the spa with my hair. I see this person that looks vaguely familiar walking out of the cafe as I am walking it. I go to the spa, and they seat me with so and so. It is the same person that I saw at the cafe. And I get to looking at this person, and it is the same one that gave me the worst haircut of my life. That was until THIS trip. I cannot describe what ensued once I took the chair. There was no real style to what this person did, and it was once again 1/2 in some spots, and 2 inches in other spots. A virtual assault with scissors. They little excursion cost $120, and I still had to tip. I could not just walk out, and I felt obligated to tip...I am an idiot, I know. So the next day, my wonderful, life and styling saving god gets back from vacation. He could not salvage the damage, but he did at least get it to where I did not want to get sick every time I looked at it. It just did not occur to me that a place that usual has very talented hair designers would employ someone with such a deficit in ability. I have learned the hard way - TWICE!!! - that just because someone has a great hair cut, does not mean that they can cut hair. They just have a great hair designer!

G

Glacierskater

KZARAH

KZARAH,
Why you ask? Why? I don't know...I keep asking myself that same thing. I have been messing up my hair as long as I can remember, from trying to give myself a "tail" (that ever popular 80's fad) to bad perms, to bad color. My latest phase was about 2 years ago. My fiance's brother and sister in law live in Little Rock. We go down there often to visit. It seemed like every time we would go down there would be some sort of hairfest that would end up costing about $100 to correct at my local hair spa.
The first one was when I decided to go brunette. Why, I really do not know. I am normally a dark blonde. I have always gone lighter, so I had a brilliant idea to go darker. I came out of the bathroom and asked my beloved what he thought and he said that he could not say because it was not done. I told him that WAS it and his jaw hit the floor. All he could say was, "Yellow on top!" I was fortunate in that my hair god lived right across the street from me. I left an emergency note on his car, and being the love that he is, got me in that day.

Next trip: We are doing highlights. "Go red" I said to myself. So I thought that it would be just nifty to make my bangs with a little red streak in them. How that red found its way all over my head, and then nested in a horrid splotch in the middle of the back of my head, I will NEVER know. Result: Another emergency note on the car. Fear not, I tip well.

Next and final lesson: I thought I would just touch up my highlights myself. Then my beloved and I got into a discussion, and 45 minutes later the "stuff" that I should have taken off at 20 minutes revealed a color that was not on the box. Hmmm...another trip. Another huge tip.

I have learned to pace myself. If I feel that urge to do anything to my hair, I pick up the phone and make an appointment with my styling/designer god.

Why do we do it? I don't know. I could have saved myself a bundle if I could figure that out.

D

dlksk8fan

Kevin-
Thanks for the information. I just recently moved and am in the process of getting to a new doctor. I have a feeling that when I get my meds adjusted my hair might be more coorperative.

Funny thing is that I use to get my hair cut in Newport Beach back in the early 80's. I can't think of the name of the place but it was next to a Nautilus Fitness Club on Lido Island. Those were the days of the perms! Yeck!:p

K

Kzarah

dlksk8fan
If your new doctor changes your Rx, let us know if the condition of your hair changes.
Daniel and Little Lulu

G

Glacierskater

:eek:
I just found out yesterday that my hairsaving designer has left the spa that I go to. Back to the drawing board on finding someone that can save me from my creative self when I decide that I cannot wait and have to have a new do asap. I made an appointment for next week with one of the instructors...hopefully it will go well.