Becoming invisible | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Becoming invisible

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Icenut's post was brilliant.

Sweetie, I am going to embarrass myself in an effort to help you, especially since we are exactly the same age, and your post broke my heart. Some background: I have had a very difficult year healthwise, couple of surgeries (gallbladder, hysterectomy) etc. I was so panic stricken about my health after the first surgery that I immediately began going to the gym or working out at least 5x a week. Best exercise is the elliptical machine, burns calories like nothing else. Also, weight machines. I go even if I don't feel like going. I switched to whole grains and in general eating better. For treats, I have 2 donut HOLES every morning and a couple of squares of chocolate every evening. I've lost 45-50 lbs. Believe me, a year ago, no one was looking and I didn't care. I hated the way I looked.

I turned myself around NOT because I wanted people to look at me but because I wanted to 1) live a long and healthy life; and 2) set a good example for my daughter (age 12). But you know what? Like it or not, men are looking at me. All the time. It's bizarre. And I have never been pretty, but it's what you feel about yourself that gets exuded. Even my husband is feeling a bit threatened, which is totally ridiculous. But I really don't care who is looking because I feel so much better about myself and my accomplishments this year and hopefully I have added quality years to my life. It's worth everything--even the suffering I've been through this year healthwise.

My daughter is a water rat and I was too embarrassed to go with her to the beach all these years. Now, she surfs, I boogie board and wear a bikini. She told me how proud she is of me. That means more to me than you can imagine.

I want to give you hope, but it has to come from within your heart. You have to look in the mirror every single day and ask yourself "Did I do everything possible today to lead a good and healthy life?" If you can say "yes," you are on your way. You won't say "yes" every day, but that is totally okay.

Now, for the slightly embarrassing part. Here are 2 photos, "Before" from last July and "Today" from a few weeks ago (you can even see all my laparascopic surgery scars!) I have this pinned up on my bulletin board in my home office and I look at it every day for inspiration because every day is still a challenge to keep up the positive work.

By the way, I did NOT have lipo. :) And I wear a lot less makeup than when I was heavy.

Please keep us posted and I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Many hugs.

JULY 2005:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/7b307aa9.jpg

JUNE 2006:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/3070b2a2.jpg

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Whoa!! :love: (Not that there was anything wrong with "before!" :) )
Honey pie, if you don't think that there was anything wrong with "before," it's time for a visit to your eye doctor! :rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Dear friend you have ALWAYS been beautiful!!!!! The new body is fabulous and so is that bikini. You are such an inspiration. :rock: :clap: :bow:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
76olympics said:
If you lived down South like I always have, you would always be called Maam or Sir whatever your age as long as you were over 20! My father brainwashed me so thoroughly in this regard that I cannot stop doing it even if I try. In a way, it is a blessing because I don't equate the terms with aging.

I was raised that way as well, but I am *southern* Baptist and I think that's really where I picked it up as I'm the only kid in my family that does it :laugh: