"Fine Wine" Skaters | Golden Skate

"Fine Wine" Skaters

icy fresh

On the Ice
What skaters do you think fit the description of a "fine wine?" More specifically, what skaters do you think grow better with age? Of course when skaters are just starting, they do get better as they get older, but what skaters do you think have gotten better even though they've gotten older.

Amber Corwin comes to mind.
Most ice dancers also seem to fit.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning... I prefer his professional work (and not just the more fun flirty numbers) to that of his competitive and exhibition programs before 93

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Ladies
Yuka Sato
Karen Kadafy (sp)
Kristie Y.
MK

Men
Kurt B.
Steven C.
Brian B.

rob43

On the Ice
Butraskaya
Sato

Kwan's short programs definitely improved with age but her longs did not (her exhibition #s where so good so young/that music choice alone seems to go against a few of the later ones.)

Ina/Zimmerman (they were what 30 & 28 in SLC when they turned in their best performances.)

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree with most choices already, so the only one I can add is Irina! Irina post 2000 is a much better and interesting skater than Irina of the 1990's, IMO.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Some just off the top of my head are: Jennifer Robinson, Kurt, Dubriel & Lauzon and Shen & Zhao.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Maria Butyrskaya--the oldest female world champion!:)
And Fumie Suguri. I agree with most of the ones already listed also.

soogar

Record Breaker
Baldwin b/c he finally made an Olympic team after 20 years of competition (even if he needed Rena's help)..

NURSEGAL

Rinkside
The finest wine......

IMHO...... the finest wine to ever be in the world of figure skating......ALEXEI YAGUDIN!!!!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuka Sato - I really enjoyed her Olympic eligible years, but I love most of what she's done as a pro (and that includes her pair skating with Jason).

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is going to make me sound like an old codger who's been around since dirt, but I really can't believe that Brian Boitano has only been mentioned ONCE on this thread. Then again, it is fairly likely that many do not remember (or never saw, or, tho I'd rather not think about it, may not have even been born yet when they took place) the dull, boring technical displays he used to put on before he hooked up with Bezic and became an "artiste".... I personally don't care for most of the stuff he does, but that's more because of style preference. If you'd've told me in 1987 that Boitano would actually at any point ever HAVE a style at all, I'd've said you were out of your mind.

Kristi Yamaguchi is the main one who stands out in my mind, though. Even in her pre-pro days, she got better and better every year and during her pro career, she was THE one, every time, who always delivered the performance I enjoyed the most, even more so than people who I adored as "amateurs"; I actually became much more of a Kristi fan after Albertville than I was of her before.