Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: 666 - it will be here shortly

  1. #46
    Custom Title IDLERACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    The Left Behind series (video or book) is a great fiction that's based on the end times and explains it easier, I think, than a lot of other things written on the matter... though there is a bit of creative license thrown in. Not a big fan of the author, so I recommend the movies lol... but either way it's good... but it is religious fiction and not to be taken as proof that we're in the end times or anything... if that makes sense
    For the heck of it, I checked out the "Left Behind" movie from my local library. So the AntiChrist is going to be a blue-eyed blonde-haired Russian? From this day on, I will always be looking at Evgeny Plushenko with a bit of suspicion.

  2. #47
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    As I said it's creative license in certain areas... I'm not saying Left Behind is how it will actually happen...

    the Bible doesn't say where they antiChrist will come from...

    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    Anyway, as Dee just pointed out, "Not even the angels know" when the ending will come and Christ shall return. So to look for the answers in silly riddles and puzzles is just as doubting of the "word" as I am of the Bible we have today.
    actually *I* quoted the Bible... not Dee lol

    I use the New King James Version "Believers Study Bible" which when words are added for clarification (never taking a different meaning out of the verse, just to make it easier to read in english) uses italics... I have never studied Greek or Hebrew, but I trust those who do... call it being stupid, weak or naieve, but my dad has studied, and short of going over and studying one of the actual scrolls I trust the Bible to be accurate. Not my little red letter Bible... but THE Bible... I just have a copy that's been translated...

    anyway I'm getting clearly off the subject, so I may have to hide my eyes from this thread before I really get into all of this again lol
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 06-08-2006 at 01:42 PM.

  3. #48
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    OOPs! I pointed out that the wrong person pointed out, sorry about that - again!

  4. #49
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLERACER
    For the heck of it, I checked out the "Left Behind" movie from my local library. So the AntiChrist is going to be a blue-eyed blonde-haired Russian? From this day on, I will always be looking at Evgeny Plushenko with a bit of suspicion.
    Funniest thing I've read all day...

    Its so interesting to hear everyone's take on the Bible, 666 and even my superstitions...

    I just saw the DaVinci Code (a whole other thread...) and really had to think about my faith, my beliefs, and all that hard stuff. And what I came up with is this: God is the Father, Jesus is His son, and the Bible is like a class outline... it gives you the tools to live your life in accordance to the Golden Rule. Its all about love, acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness. I don't know who wrote the Bible but I do know that 666 was the Jewish / Christian code word for Nero - the Roman emperor who killed & tortured early Christians for giggles. I also know that the "end of the world" has more to do with a lack of God's presence; that Relevations was more of a metaphore than an actual event.

    But knowing something on an intellectual level and reacting to something on an emotional level are two different things... On Tuesday, my emotional side reigned supreme and I sat on the couch. (Not to mention, I'm a control freak & the this whole not knowing thing is too much for me...)

  5. #50
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    I don't know who wrote the Bible but I do know that 666 was the Jewish / Christian code word for Nero - the Roman emperor who killed & tortured early Christians for giggles. I also know that the "end of the world" has more to do with a lack of God's presence; that Relevations was more of a metaphore than an actual event.
    I love it, really justifies the thought that the majority of Revelations was written for THAT time, IMO. Did you get this from the movie?

    I thought there was something indicating the Holly Grail was the bloodline of the "unification" of Christ and Mary Mag. Or I might just be getting that from the book that the DaVinci Code "supposedly" got it's ideas from. Which now I am curious to ask your opinion, if you might have heard that Mary Magdillan was a profit that was edited out of the bible we have today?

    BTW, Great summery - I look forward to seeing it now.

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    778
    interesting thread.

    regarding possible significance of 666 and Judaism/Bible (Old Testament), as somebody mentioned, there were no numerals. Each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numeral and it is a very involved science (called numerology or gematria). I bet Mathman would get a kick out of it.

    http://www.inner.org/gematria/gematria.htm

    i am not sure if a "code name" would be assigned to Nero, and if it would be, I am not sure how it would turn out into 666. The first letter in Nero is Nun, which would correspond to 5. There are many complicated names to break a word into a particular number, but 6 corresponds to a letter Vav at the very simple level. Samech corresponds to 6 at a reduced value. Final Mem also corresponds to 6. Nero does not have as "s", or a "V" or an "m" at the end. So I don't know.

    You can dig a lot of interesting stuff out of Old Testament, ans especially from teh Tora using the gematria. All of this would be lost in translation.

    So besides the point that the reference to 666 appears in the New Testament, just because of the translation, I think it's a Christian concept. Also, I can't recall much significance to 6 in Judaism. Number 7 holds more meaning.

  7. #52
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    interesting thread.

    regarding possible significance of 666 and Judaism/Bible (Old Testament), as somebody mentioned, there were no numerals. Each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numeral and it is a very involved science (called numerology or gematria). I bet Mathman would get a kick out of it.

    http://www.inner.org/gematria/gematria.htm

    i am not sure if a "code name" would be assigned to Nero, and if it would be, I am not sure how it would turn out into 666. The first letter in Nero is Nun, which would correspond to 5. There are many complicated names to break a word into a particular number, but 6 corresponds to a letter Vav at the very simple level. Samech corresponds to 6 at a reduced value. Final Mem also corresponds to 6. Nero does not have as "s", or a "V" or an "m" at the end. So I don't know.

    You can dig a lot of interesting stuff out of Old Testament, ans especially from teh Tora using the gematria. All of this would be lost in translation.

    So besides the point that the reference to 666 appears in the New Testament, just because of the translation, I think it's a Christian concept. Also, I can't recall much significance to 6 in Judaism. Number 7 holds more meaning.
    Das me on the no numbers, and great post. I think that is the way they looked at things back the - when a "ruler." It was plus 1, that is where I believe the "number" 7 being important to the "Jews" (also 40) comes into play. But there is also things like God mentioning the 7 churches of Asia, when there were most definably more then that that rase questions too. So I more then likely am wrong on that.....

    As far as the Tora is concerned, I don't doubt things like that yet similarities have been done with Moby Dick without the excruciating amount of years and dedication invested. I think with time and a "code" that fit Herman Melville's style of writing there would be more coming from that book as well.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-08-2006 at 05:39 PM.

  8. #53
    Da' Spellin' Homegirl Grgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,144
    I really haven't read Revelations all that much but I'm thinking it said we were not supposed to try and figure it out. So, I'll think about it tomorrow.

  9. #54
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I can't help but figure it out, Granny. The beast is walking among us right now. We will feel him at the next World Championship when we watch Senior Ladies as they all mess up with falls and stumbles.

    Joe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •