666 - it will be here shortly | Page 3 | Golden Skate

666 - it will be here shortly

IDLERACER

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
I admit it... I'm totally superstitous when it comes to anything biblical... So yes, I took yesterday off and refused to leave the house... Just like I did on Dec. 31 '99. I figure that if the world is going to end, where's the best place to be? On my comfy couch watching All My Children or at the office pretending to be more important than I am? Easy choice...
The question is, did you feel like a fool on January 1st, 2000 and today (6/7/06)?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
The question is, did you feel like a fool on January 1st, 2000 and today (6/7/06)?

Nah... I felt like "at least I got the laundry done!" today and "At least I don't have a hangover this morning!" on Jan 1st. I'm totally aware that my supersititions are silly and not based in reality... but that's ok. It could be worse, I could get freaked out by ladders, umbrellas, etc...

Antilles

Medalist
I was sure that some crazy religious cult that thought it was the second coming of Christ was going to commit suicide en masse. Evidently I was wrong.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For those of you who are "superstitious" about the Bible and the End Times

just remember that there's a verse in the Bible that says that "Not even the angels know" when the ending will come and Christ shall return... so we're to look for the "signs" but one big way of knowing that it's not going to be something like yesterday is when the whole world starts walking around screaming "the end is here" lol

at least that's how I look at it ;)

Joesitz said:
It's not a superstition if you believe in the bible as an accurate history of the world. 666 is armaggedon(sp). Whether it is involved in a modern date or something else, it is a biblical prophesy.

666 is *supoosedly* the mark of the beast (due to most's interpretation of scripture, however I'm not sure just how to think of it myself)... not sure if anyone pointed that out at all... just noticed this comment myself

the mark of the beast is going to show up on the anti-Christ and his followers... the anti-Christ will reign for 7 years, by which there will be another sort of holucaust... but there will be peace in the world all OVER the world (save for those of us who are prophesied to be exterminated) for the very first time... at the end of the 7 years Christ comes again and kicks tail and that's the end of the world lol

well... in a nutshell anyway lol The Left Behind series (video or book) is a great fiction that's based on the end times and explains it easier, I think, than a lot of other things written on the matter... though there is a bit of creative license thrown in. Not a big fan of the author, so I recommend the movies lol... but either way it's good... but it is religious fiction and not to be taken as proof that we're in the end times or anything... if that makes sense

and this reply was a little longer than I anticipated...

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The one thing I feel obligated in some weird way to say, is the Bible is a canonized book of books, the closest thing to the original we have are the Dead Sea Scrolls. All this other stuff Has been edited, mainly by Men, and aristocracies looking to benefit themselves. The Bible even states not to trust the hand of mankind, and God was quoted (I loosely quoting for every version you look in seems to "change" the exact words) to say be weary of this for man will change my words to benefit himself, I think King James just forgot to edit that. Or to leave it in just made it seem he was that much more on the "up n up."

And other then the very last portion of Revelations, there is no indication of the far off future. It was MORE THAN LIKELY written by John the Divine to give hope to the Jews that were being persecuted by the Roman Empire. He predicted its fall as a speaker and often wrote in code to escape persecution and to continue writing. There has been much speculation that the 666 - as MM pointed out earlier being the greek perfect number, is the "mark of the Romans - who often had marks on there hands and feet and in some cases heads.

Anyway, as Dee (oops Toni) just pointed out, "Not even the angels know" when the ending will come and Christ shall return. So to look for the answers in silly riddles and puzzles is just as doubting of the "word" as I am of the Bible we have today.

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
The Left Behind series (video or book) is a great fiction that's based on the end times and explains it easier, I think, than a lot of other things written on the matter... though there is a bit of creative license thrown in. Not a big fan of the author, so I recommend the movies lol... but either way it's good... but it is religious fiction and not to be taken as proof that we're in the end times or anything... if that makes sense
For the heck of it, I checked out the "Left Behind" movie from my local library. So the AntiChrist is going to be a blue-eyed blonde-haired Russian? :unsure: From this day on, I will always be looking at Evgeny Plushenko with a bit of suspicion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As I said it's creative license in certain areas... I'm not saying Left Behind is how it will actually happen...

the Bible doesn't say where they antiChrist will come from...

seanibu said:
Anyway, as Dee just pointed out, "Not even the angels know" when the ending will come and Christ shall return. So to look for the answers in silly riddles and puzzles is just as doubting of the "word" as I am of the Bible we have today.

actually *I* quoted the Bible... not Dee ;) lol

I use the New King James Version "Believers Study Bible" which when words are added for clarification (never taking a different meaning out of the verse, just to make it easier to read in english) uses italics... I have never studied Greek or Hebrew, but I trust those who do... call it being stupid, weak or naieve, but my dad has studied, and short of going over and studying one of the actual scrolls I trust the Bible to be accurate. Not my little red letter Bible... but THE Bible... I just have a copy that's been translated...

anyway I'm getting clearly off the subject, so I may have to hide my eyes from this thread before I really get into all of this again lol

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OOPs! I pointed out that the wrong person pointed out, sorry about that - again!;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
For the heck of it, I checked out the "Left Behind" movie from my local library. So the AntiChrist is going to be a blue-eyed blonde-haired Russian? :unsure: From this day on, I will always be looking at Evgeny Plushenko with a bit of suspicion.

:laugh: :laugh: Funniest thing I've read all day...

Its so interesting to hear everyone's take on the Bible, 666 and even my superstitions...

I just saw the DaVinci Code (a whole other thread...) and really had to think about my faith, my beliefs, and all that hard stuff. And what I came up with is this: God is the Father, Jesus is His son, and the Bible is like a class outline... it gives you the tools to live your life in accordance to the Golden Rule. Its all about love, acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness. I don't know who wrote the Bible but I do know that 666 was the Jewish / Christian code word for Nero - the Roman emperor who killed & tortured early Christians for giggles. I also know that the "end of the world" has more to do with a lack of God's presence; that Relevations was more of a metaphore than an actual event.

But knowing something on an intellectual level and reacting to something on an emotional level are two different things... On Tuesday, my emotional side reigned supreme and I sat on the couch. (Not to mention, I'm a control freak & the this whole not knowing thing is too much for me...)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
I don't know who wrote the Bible but I do know that 666 was the Jewish / Christian code word for Nero - the Roman emperor who killed & tortured early Christians for giggles. I also know that the "end of the world" has more to do with a lack of God's presence; that Relevations was more of a metaphore than an actual event.

I love it, really justifies the thought that the majority of Revelations was written for THAT time, IMO. Did you get this from the movie?

I thought there was something indicating the Holly Grail was the bloodline of the "unification" of Christ and Mary Mag. Or I might just be getting that from the book that the DaVinci Code "supposedly" got it's ideas from. Which now I am curious to ask your opinion, if you might have heard that Mary Magdillan was a profit that was edited out of the bible we have today?

BTW, Great summery - I look forward to seeing it now.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
interesting thread.

regarding possible significance of 666 and Judaism/Bible (Old Testament), as somebody mentioned, there were no numerals. Each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numeral and it is a very involved science (called numerology or gematria). I bet Mathman would get a kick out of it.

http://www.inner.org/gematria/gematria.htm

i am not sure if a "code name" would be assigned to Nero, and if it would be, I am not sure how it would turn out into 666. The first letter in Nero is Nun, which would correspond to 5. There are many complicated names to break a word into a particular number, but 6 corresponds to a letter Vav at the very simple level. Samech corresponds to 6 at a reduced value. Final Mem also corresponds to 6. Nero does not have as "s", or a "V" or an "m" at the end. So I don't know.

You can dig a lot of interesting stuff out of Old Testament, ans especially from teh Tora using the gematria. All of this would be lost in translation.

So besides the point that the reference to 666 appears in the New Testament, just because of the translation, I think it's a Christian concept. Also, I can't recall much significance to 6 in Judaism. Number 7 holds more meaning.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
interesting thread.

regarding possible significance of 666 and Judaism/Bible (Old Testament), as somebody mentioned, there were no numerals. Each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numeral and it is a very involved science (called numerology or gematria). I bet Mathman would get a kick out of it.

http://www.inner.org/gematria/gematria.htm

i am not sure if a "code name" would be assigned to Nero, and if it would be, I am not sure how it would turn out into 666. The first letter in Nero is Nun, which would correspond to 5. There are many complicated names to break a word into a particular number, but 6 corresponds to a letter Vav at the very simple level. Samech corresponds to 6 at a reduced value. Final Mem also corresponds to 6. Nero does not have as "s", or a "V" or an "m" at the end. So I don't know.

You can dig a lot of interesting stuff out of Old Testament, ans especially from teh Tora using the gematria. All of this would be lost in translation.

So besides the point that the reference to 666 appears in the New Testament, just because of the translation, I think it's a Christian concept. Also, I can't recall much significance to 6 in Judaism. Number 7 holds more meaning.

Das me on the no numbers, and great post. I think that is the way they looked at things back the - when a "ruler." It was plus 1, that is where I believe the "number" 7 being important to the "Jews" (also 40) comes into play. But there is also things like God mentioning the 7 churches of Asia, when there were most definably more then that that rase questions too. So I more then likely am wrong on that.....

As far as the Tora is concerned, I don't doubt things like that yet similarities have been done with Moby Dick without the excruciating amount of years and dedication invested. I think with time and a "code" that fit Herman Melville's style of writing there would be more coming from that book as well.

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I really haven't read Revelations all that much but I'm thinking it said we were not supposed to try and figure it out. So, I'll think about it tomorrow. :rofl:

I can't help but figure it out, Granny. The beast is walking among us right now. We will feel him at the next World Championship when we watch Senior Ladies as they all mess up with falls and stumbles.

Joe