The next Sasha Cohen? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The next Sasha Cohen?

anniemg said:
I have seen ballerinas do it, and I have done ballet as well. It depends on the dancer, but most of them go as down as Sasha does if they want to have a 180 split. Sasha's spiral is still the best IMO. She really does take her leg right behind her, and that's why she goes so low. Her hip rotates a bit, but that's normal-it's normal for the hips to rotate when you're doing a split on the floor, let alone with your leg in the air and on sliding on ice.

But the other girl's one is very good as well :clap:
I just saw a ballet last night where the corps ladies were doing the180 degree arabesques.as part of the choreography. They enhanced that particular choreo.

I also like ALL of the degrees of arabesques. Maria Butryskaya had the most beautiful 100 degree arabesque positions in her camel spins. That's so seldom seen these days because of, imo, the ugly Bielmans.

I also like Sasha's 180 spiral, although lately its been about 130. Sasha is blessed with flexibility. She's lucky, because skating fans go wow for that.

The biggest wow for me would be a Charlotte spin. That would be a WOW WOW.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I just saw a ballet last night where the corps ladies were doing the180 degree arabesques.as part of the choreography. They enhanced that particular choreo.

I also like ALL of the degrees of arabesques. Maria Butryskaya had the most beautiful 100 degree arabesque positions in her camel spins. That's so seldom seen these days because of, imo, the ugly Bielmans.

I also like Sasha's 180 spiral, although lately its been about 130. Sasha is blessed with flexibility. She's lucky, because skating fans go wow for that.

Joe

I agree-Maria had a gorgeous camel spin!

Bt about Sasha and a 130 degree spiral...No way! At the very least Sasha hits 170 degrees!

And I always wondered about a charlotte spin-especially since I saw Chinese pair skaters that did that at COI last year, with the guy holding her free leg, the lady grabbing her skating leg-I forget who it was!

Red Dog said:
Umm, actually I was referring to Alissa. :laugh: But ok, I take it back. Fall, then. I said "splat" to emphasize the point a little more...
No need to emphasize it unless you want to be spiteful.

We had a young first time member who wrote Sashasplat for which 2 Sasha fans retorted and sent the poor new member away. Those same 2 fans had no problem with LooplessKwan.

I think the Board has been cleaning itself up. We really don't need that kind of grime anymore. Sophistication is our word. Members are cleaning up their act.

Joe

MKFSfan said:
I agree-Maria had a gorgeous camel spin!

Bt about Sasha and a 130 degree spiral...No way! At the very least Sasha hits 170 degrees!

And I always wondered about a charlotte spin-especially since I saw Chinese pair skaters that did that at COI last year, with the guy holding her free leg, the lady grabbing her skating leg-I forget who it was!
Your right. My math is wrong. l70 it seems to be lately.

Interesting Pairs move. Where was the guy's hand as she spun? That's quite common in pas des deux. the danseur holds hands with the ballerina while she is on toe, and in a 180. Then promenades her around. It works well in the proper choreography. Ballet is not for tricks as skating is.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
The lady skater was in a charlotte position, grabbing her skating leg, maybe boot. As for the man, I'm pretty sure one hand was on her upper leg, by her skate. I THINK the other hand was on her waist??? I'll look for a picture!

Red Dog said:
Not to mention some Cohen fans are just sore about it, it seems :scratch:
And rightly so. Obviously nobody likes it when you pick on a person that they feel affection and admiration for. That's just human nature.

Why use language that you know is going to upset your friends on the board and cause bad feelings?

Lanie

On the Ice
Oh, man, I forget what that spin is called - the pairs spin. Natalia spin or something since didn't Natalia M and her partner do it a lot?

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I never thought of the word "splat" as being negative by itself. I just think it was used in such a way by certain fans that it got this negative connotation.

ETA. if I say "Sasha splats", personally I really don't see much wrong with that. I mean, she hit the ice, right? I take that to mean just a "hard fall". But nevermind, I won't open up that can.

But my intent is to never offend posters. I apologize if my use of the word set some fans off.

Last edited:
Joesitz said:
We had a young first time member who wrote Sashasplat for which 2 Sasha fans retorted and sent the poor new member away....
I guess it all evens out. Those two fans, both GS members of long standing, were in their turn hounded off the board in the ensuing counterattack.

R.D.

Record Breaker
My name for all this is simply Board Politics (or better yet, Bored Politics). And Politics always sticks around no matter how much you try to ignore it or brush it under the rug.

orchid

On the Ice
C'mon folks, this is another topic of another skater which has turned into a Sasha discussion. What about the pretty skater pic which started this post ?

Red Dog said:
You know, I never thought of the word "splat" as being negative by itself. I just think it was used in such a way by certain fans that it got this negative connotation.

ETA. if I say "Sasha splats", personally I really don't see much wrong with that. I mean, she hit the ice, right? I take that to mean just a "hard fall". But nevermind, I won't open up that can.

But my intent is to never offend posters. I apologize if my use of the word set some fans off.
It's the use of your words not unlike my problem. But there are better ways to say negative things about a skater than using splat or stagnating. Why not have changed those to 'Her SP is so complete, I hate to see the fall in the LP.... and She doesn't seem to be increasing her technical. There could be a problem.'

Joe

Orchid - We are on page 4 of this topic - not unusual to see the topic change.

but getting back to it. I would say Sasha was the next Belita.

I promis after Spokane, I will my opine of the next but only if there is one. IMO, it is not easy to duplicate Sasha.

Joe

bogie

Spectator
I believe the picture is of Carolyn-Ann Alba, a skater based in Southern CA. She is coached by Wendy Burge, and competed at the Intermediate level at Junior Nationals last year. She is a very pretty, elegant young skater on the rise.

Mathman said:
I guess it all evens out. Those two fans, both GS members of long standing, were in their turn hounded off the board in the ensuing counterattack.
Nobody hounded them except themselves, and you know that. And that incident had nothing to do with running the new poster off the Board. The one you are talking about is the Troll later on which you automatically banned.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Do think a charlotte spin is the attempt that the pairs skaters do when the imitate the Mish..(sorry can't spell that name)& Demetirev spin - where the male straddle the female in a sort-of charlotte position? I personally find that pairs spin to be incredibly ugly even when Demetriev did it but its sort of like a charolotte the woman is in.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Your right. My math is wrong. l70 it seems to be lately.

Interesting Pairs move. Where was the guy's hand as she spun? That's quite common in pas des deux. the danseur holds hands with the ballerina while she is on toe, and in a 180. Then promenades her around. It works well in the proper choreography. Ballet is not for tricks as skating is.

Joe

It depends what you are calling tricks though - do the ballet dancers not leave the floor or show extreme flex moves? Why would those not be considered tricks for ballet but be considered tricks in skating?

Ant

Joesitz said:
Nobody hounded them except themselves, and you know that. And that incident had nothing to do with running the new poster off the Board. The one you are talking about is the Troll later on which you automatically banned.
No, I am talking about Doggygirl and Rgirl. The incident that you brought up in your post 43 had everything to do with the Olliebee situation. They both do definitely feel that they were hounded off the board by a succession of ill-tempered and unmotivated personal attacks.

If you have forgotten, you can refresh your memory by re-reading the 4-page thread "A sad state of affairs," now in the archives.

MM :)

PS. I don't have to be told what I know. I already know what I know, all on my own. ;)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't believe three and a half pages later, we STILL can't confirm who the skater in the first pic is. :laugh: Maybe the thread starter can confirm for us?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
bogie said:
I believe the picture is of Carolyn-Ann Alba, a skater based in Southern CA. She is coached by Wendy Burge, and competed at the Intermediate level at Junior Nationals last year. She is a very pretty, elegant young skater on the rise.
Yes, the first spiral photo is of Carolyn-Ann Alba, who placed 6th in Intermediate Ladies at U.S. "Junior" Nationals in December 2005. Alba also competed in a "Young International" competition in Switzerland this spring and won the Novice A event there. (Side note to the mods: Considering her young age, I don't think it's a good idea for a link to her personal page to be posted in this forum, as was done earlier in this thread.)