2006/2007 Grand Prix | Golden Skate

2006/2007 Grand Prix

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2006-2007 Grand Prix rules are available.
Read Section 2 (pp 3-4) for the labrynthine selection rules.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-176029-193247-107503-0-file,00.pdf

To figure out how the criteria work, you will also need the Season Bests 2005/2006 scores:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/p...60279-177495-33138-139933-custom-item,00.html

As well as 2006 Worlds and 2006 Olympics results:

http://www.isufs.org/results/wc2006/
http://www.isufs.org/results/owg2006/

As well as 2006 World Junior and 2004-2005 JGP results:
http://www.isufs.org/results/wc2006/
http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpf0506/

And, of course, the ever popular ISU World Standings:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130267-131575-nav-list,00.html

Have fun!

If I read this correctly, it seems that a top skater does not qualify for the GPs if the skater did not participate in ISU events the past season, that skater does not qualify for any GP events.

I think it also eliminates the Host Country from selecting a skater at random. A third skater must have had some qualifying ISU points.

If I am correct, I do not see MK qualifying for any GPevents - not even SA.

Sasha and Emily will qualify for 2 GPs (if they want to).

Meissner qualifies for 2 GPs (no question whether she wants to or not)

Alissa has some points but are they enough for 2GPs? Maybe just one.

Katie should get 2 GPs but I am not certain.

Bebe will be left out in the cold.

The boys are much easier: Lyacek, Weir, Savoie, for 2 GPs. But who else could qualify?

My big question: Am I reading Host Country lost a bit of power?

Joe

Joesitz said:
Well, I've just read this over about 20 times and it is still not completely clear to me on this point.

I think -- reserving the right to be wrong -- that paragraph 2.2 (d) and (e) do not mean that the host country cannot invite whoever they want. For instance, I think USFS could invite Michelle to Skate America even though she does not fall into any of the categories listed in the document.

Paragraph (d) says (I think ?) only that for Skate America the limit of three invitees from the U.S. includes any seeded skater that might have been assigned anyway. In other words, Skate America cannot invite Michelle, Bebe and Alissa -- and then also pick up seeded skaters Kimmie and Sasha as well.

I think (????) paragraph (e) means after USFS chooses it's three (say it is Michelle, Sasha and Kimmie), but there are only eleven skaters assigned altogether, then if they want to add, say, Susanna Poykio, Poykio would have to be in the top 75 seasonal bests.

I might be all wrong about this, but that's what I got out of it.

(Specifically about Michelle -- and probably Sasha, too -- all this is moot anyway. I don't think they will want to compete on the GP circuit this year in any case.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Chuckm. This will keep me busy in the off season for sure! :laugh:

Unfortunately, we can't really figure anything out until we know who wants to participate and who doesn't.

For ladies, the top six at Worlds were Meissner, Suguri, Cohen, Sokolova, Nakano and Meier.

Of these, I would say only Meissner and Meier are 100% certain, with Cohen probably opting out. Nakano probably yes, not sure about Suguri and Sokolova.

If any of these have to be replaced from the list of primary seeds, the top qualifiers are Olympians Arakawa and Slutskaya. Arakawa has already announced her retirement. Slute will probably go -- why not?

The list of "season's best" is interesting:

Slutskaya, Arakawa, Meissner, Asada, Cohen, Suguri, Sokolova, Kim, Kostner, Ando, Meier, Czisny, Nakano, Rochette, Taylor, ...

So leaving out the ones that are seeded anyway, the top of the list goes Asada, Kim, Kostner, Ando (will she compete?), Czisny, Rochette and Taylor.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Jenny who moving into what?

To figure out how the criteria work, you will also need the Season Bests 2005/2006 scores:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/pa...m-item,00.html

Jenny Kirk is listed on the isu standing and wonder if someone will move up to fill that spot taking this standing. Or is that a loss of spot..what?

Confused that she is on there and to take into consideration....Hope you understand I am trying to "figure out how...."

Progression of Highest Score
Ladies
Total Score..........
Smart Ones Skate America
Jennifer KIRK
USA
S
Smart Ones Skate America
Amber CORWIN
USA

Jenny who:rofl:

I now know what Jenny chuckm would be referring to, I never thought of Jennifer Don. sorry I should know that there is going to be more then one Jenny in FS.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I think it also eliminates the Host Country from selecting a skater at random. A third skater must have had some qualifying ISU points.

If I am correct, I do not see MK qualifying for any GPevents - not even SA.

Sasha and Emily will qualify for 2 GPs (if they want to).

Meissner qualifies for 2 GPs (no question whether she wants to or not)

Joe

Joe, after reading the rules I think I agree with you about host countries having lost power. It looks like they are only able to invite skaters from the seeded or invited skaters list. The only way this does not happen is if everyone has been assigned and there are still open spaces. Then the skater must be in the top 75 in personal best scores for last season.

If so, the USFSA doesn't have that many options for pairs.
Inoue and Baldwin (7), Vlassov and Meekins (11), and Moyle and Seitz (23). Orsher and Lucash (16) would have been qualified as would Miller and Brubaker (18), and Hinzmann and Parchem (28) would have been qualified on their world finish. This leaves Nam and Leftheris out in the cold all together which is too bad.

In fact this is so weird that I feel like I must be wrong in my reading some how.

Ladies: I think Sasha (13) is required to participate in 2 GPs as well because of her 3rd place at worlds. Kimmie (8) is required to do 2. Czisny (15) will get 1-2. Hughes (20) will get 2 I think based on her placement at Olympics/worlds. Taylor is ranked 25, Liang is ranked 28. Zukowski (31) is guarenteed 1 because of her jr world medal. I am a bit confused by the PB score thing, but Taylor and Liang may get in on that.

Men: Lysacek (5) is required to do 2 I believe, Weir (7) will get 2 if he wants them. Savoi (14) would have had 1-2 if he had stayed. Austin Kanallakan and Geoffry Varner are qualified for one because of JGPF medals, however Kanallakan is only 15 and neither have skated in US Senior nationals. Never mind, I just realized that according to ISU world rankings, our pairs are better than our men. Scott Smith has the highes Season's best of the remaining men, but it is definitly out of the top 24.

seanibu said:
Jenny Kirk is listed on the isu standing and wonder if someone will move up to fill that spot taking this standing. Or is that a loss of spot..what?...
You're looking at the wrong list. Scroll down to "Season Best Total Scores 2005/2006."

BTW, Jenny's Skate America performance in 2003 was the highlight of her competitive career. She was totally on. If you can find a video of it, you're in for a treat. (She should have beat Sasha, but Oh, well.)

MM :)

Theatregirl1122 said:
Joe, after reading the rules I think I agree with you about host countries having lost power. It looks like they are only able to invite skaters from the seeded or invited skaters list...
That's the part that is not so clear to me from the wording of the documents. It says:

"A maximum of three (3) skaters/couples in each discipline from the host country may skate in the host country's event. This includes [I am reading this word 'includes" in the dictionary sense of "includes but is not limited to"] skaters/couples selected according to category 2.1 and 2.2 above."

In the next paragraph, "If any slots remain open...," I took that to mean, "If any slots remain open after the host country has chosen its three invitees and other skaters have been assigned.

To me, that would make the most sense. I don't know if that's what the ISU meant, though.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the last analysis of host countries' rights is correct. As to whether it's fair or not - there has been so much rumbling about GP host countries' skaters having an advantage over everyone else, this just evens out the field a little.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Each host country can STILL invite any three skaters it wants, and those picks can be seeds or 'invited' skaters according to ISU criteria, or anyone else.

That is good, because when it comes to Pairs, there aren't all that many Pairs available, so the US gets a chance to give the nod to new teams like Nam/Leftheris, who have never competed internationally.

The problem with the SEASON BEST lists is that Juniors are mixed in, and it's pretty obvious that Junior teams take a BIG drop in scores when they transition to Seniors. According to many of the score entries, Virtue/Moir would far outrank many of the Senior teams, including Dubreuil/Lauzon, yet they lost to Matthews/Zavozin at 4CC--and M/Z finished 16th at Worlds 2006.

I doubt very much that Irina Slutskaya has any intention of competing in the GP this season. She will be in the COI tour through mid-August, and then she has indicated she intends to take time off. While she has not said she plans to retire, she has also not said she intends to continue with the breakneck schedule of the past two seasons. She is, after all, suffering from an incurable disease that is exacerbated by stress.

The Ladies seeds will be Meissner, Suguri, Sokolova (both have said they will continue to compete), Nakano and Meier. According to the rules, the substitute for Cohen will not be Rochette but none other than Mao Asada, because of the very high score she got at the GPF (a Senior event) last season.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Each host country can STILL invite any three skaters it wants, and those picks can be seeds or 'invited' skaters according to ISU criteria, or anyone else.
Actually, now that I am re-reading this perhaps chuckm is correct:

In addition to the seeded skaters/couples and the above-mentioned invited skaters/couples, each hosting ISU Member may select additional skaters/couples in accordance with selection procedures established by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group. The maximum number of entries per event, however, is set as follows (...)

Still, though, no more than 3 participants from the host in each category.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
2.1.a: Top 6 at Calgary

Men: Lambiel, Joubert, Lysacek, Oda, Sandhu, Buttle.
Ladies: Meissner, Suguri, Cohen, Sokolova, Nakano, Meier
Pairs: Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang, Petrova/Tikhonov, Inoue/Baldwin, Marcoux/Buntin, Savchenko/Skolkowy
Dance: Denkova/Staviyski, Dubreiul/Lazon, Belbin/Agosto, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Chait/Sakhnovski.

Of these, Pet/Tik originally announced they would retire, but word on FSU is that they, D/V, Den/Sta, and D/L will continue. I/B and C/S have already announced they plan to skate next year.

2.1.c: In case of retirements of the top six:

Men: Plushenko (announced not competing in 2006-7)
Ladies: Arakawa (retirement announcement), Slutskaya
Pairs: Totmianina/Marinin (announced not competing in 2006-7), Shen/Zhao (unclear)
Dance: Navka/Kostomarov (announced not competing in 2006-7, but may retract), Grushina/Goncharov (announced retirement), Fusar-Poli Margoglio (announced re-retirement)

which leaves Slutskaya and Shen/Zhao as the only people who haven't announced retirement and could qualify.

2.1.d: If there are still vacancies, then seasonal best > seasonal best of top six at Worlds or Olympics:

Men: Takahashi, seasonal best (SA) higher than Weir (5th at Olympics) PB
(Olympics). Weir, seasonal best (Olympics) higher than Oda's (NHK)

Ladies: Asada (#4 PB, at Olympics) over Cohen, Sugui, Sokolova, Meier, Nakano
Kim (#8 PB at Jr. Worlds), Kostner (Euros), Ando (Cup of Russia) over Meier, Nakano
Czisny (SC) over Nakano

Pairs: none

Dance: none

2.1.e: Next in line, from 7th at Worlds

Ladies: Rochette, Hughes, Poykio, Korpi, Onda
Men: Preubert, Li, Klimkin, Savoie (retired), Davydov
Pairs: Dube/Davison, Obertas/Slavnov, Zagorska/Siudek, Volosozhar/Morozov, Hinzmann/Parchem (retired), Murkhortova/Trankov
Dance: Domnina/Shabalin, Faiella/Scali, Gregory/Petukhov, Wing/Lowe (retired), Kerrs, Khoklova/Novitski

2.1.f: If any of the seeds withdraws from one event or declines one event, no movement. This suggests: 1. if a seed withdraws from two, there is movement 2. a seeded skater is guaranteed two events but can decline one event.

2.2 a: Invited skaters:

Placed 7-12 at Worlds and have not announced retirement:

Men: Weir, Preaubert, Li, Klimkin, Davydov
Ladies: Rochette, Hughes, Poykio, Korpi, Kostner, Onda
Pairs: Dube/Davison, Obertas/Slavnov, Zagorska/Siudek, Volosozhar/Morozov, Murkhortova/Trankov
Dance: Domnina/Shabalin, Faiella/Scali, Gregory/Petukhov, Wing/Lowe Kerrs, Khoklova/Novitski

Placed 7-12 at Olympics, but didn't compete at Worlds:

Men: Takahashi (guaranteed, due to Savoie's retirement), van der Perren
Ladies: none
Pairs: none
Dance: none

Personal best higher than 7-12 at Worlds or Olympics:

Ladies: Taylor (4C's) over Nakano, Hughes, Poykio, Korpi, Onda
Liashenko (CoC), Liang (4C's) over Poykio, Korpi, Onda
Gedevanishvili over Korpi, Onda

Men: Griazev (CoC), Dambier (Euros), Mabee (4C's) over Preubert, Li, Klimkin, Davidov

Pairs: Wakamatsu/Fecteau (4C's) over Volosozhar/Morozov, Hinzmann/Parchem, Mukhortova/Trankov
Putnam/Wirtz (Skate America) over Hinzmann/Parchem, Mukhortova/Trankov

Dance: Virtue/Moir (Jr. Worlds) over Domnina/Shabalin, Faeilla/Scali, Gregory/Petukhov, Wing/Lowe, Kerrs, Khoklova/Novitski
Matthew/Zavozin (4C's), Davis/White (Andorra Cup) over Gregory/Petukhov, Wing/Lowe, Kerrs, Khoklova/Novitski
Fraser/Lukanin (Euros) over Khoklova/Novitski

Next in line: 13th or higher at Worlds:

Men: Verner, Chiper
Ladies: Leung (if Onda doesn't skate next year), Gedevanishvili
Pairs: Pla/Bonheur (replace Hinzmann/Parchem), Piatkowska/Khromin (if Petrova/Tikhonov have retired)
Dance: Beiers

So guaranteed two spots are:

Men: Lambiel, Joubert, Lysacek, Oda, Sandhu, Buttle. Weir, Preubert, Li, Klimkin, Davydov, Takahashi

Ladies: Meissner, Suguri, Cohen, Sokolova, Nakano, Meier, Rochette, Hughes, Poykio, Korpi, Kostner, Onda

Pairs: Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang, Petrova/Tikhonov, Inoue/Baldwin, Marcoux/Buntin, Savchenko/Skolkowy, Dube/Davison, Obertas/Slavnov, Zagorska/Siudek, Volosozhar/Morozov, Murkhortova/Trankov, Wakamatsu/Fecteau, if they're skating, and Putnam/Wirtz if W/F have retired.

Dance: Denkova/Staviyski, Dubreiul/Lazon, Belbin/Agosto, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Chait/Sakhnovski, Domnina/Shabalin, Faiella/Scali, Gregory/Petukhov, Kerrs, Khoklova/Novitski, Virtue/Moir (replacing Wing/Lowe)

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
2.2.b: Guaranteed one event, if competing in Seniors and haven't split up:

Top 24 in ISU World standings (not already guaranteed two spots)

Men: van der Perren, Dambier, Zhang, Lindemann, Ponsero, Sawyer, Nanri, Mabee, Uspenski, Kozuka, Chan, Chiper

Ladies: Asada, Ando, Kim, Czisny, Sawada, Liu, Sebestyen, Liashenko, Leung, Gedevanishvili

Pairs: Mukhortova/Trankov, Dube/Davison, Vlassov/Meekins, Putnam/Wirtz, Shen/Zhao, Pylkina/Hogner, Miller/Brubaker, Aganina/Knyazev, Pla/Bonheur, Handke/Wende, Moyle/Seitz, Spassova/Todorov

Dance: Matthews/Zavozin, Mikhailova/Sergeev, Fraser/Lukanin, Goshkova/Tkachenko, Platanova/Maximishin, Watanabe/Kido, Pechelat/Bourzat, Davis/White, Pratt/Giles, Beiers

Seasonal best in top 24, but not in top 24 ISU rankings:

Men: Griazev, van der Perren, Honda, Verner

Ladies: Taylor, Liang, Sawada

Pairs: Langlois/Hay, Sheshtakova/Lebedev, Borzenkova/Chivuyaev (retired), Li/Yu, Vise/Trent

Dance: Cappellini/Lanotte, Grebenkina/Azrojan, Lefebvre/Markov

2.2.c Medallists from Jr. GPF and Jr. Worlds who will compete in Seniors (pairs can compete in both) and not in above categories

Men: Kanallakan, Varner, Voronov

Ladies: Xu, Zukowski

Pairs: Simakova/Tokarev, Krasilnokova/Bezmaternikh

Dance: already listed

2.2.d: Host country can choose three skaters from that country, including skaters already guaranteed spot(s). If the country chooses less than three, the additional spots must be filled from 2.2.a or 2.2.b.

This does not limit the host country from choosing someone who doesn't qualify under any other criteria. It just says that if the host country doesn't fill its spots from its own country, it cannot choose anyone, regardless of ranking.

2.2.e. says that if all of the skaters who are guaranteed spots and fulfill the criteria have all been assigned, any remaining spot can be filled by a skater ranked in the top 75.

2.2.f allows for former ISU Medallists who "withdrew" from competitive sport to be assigned to one or two events as the 11th pair or 13th singles or dance team. This would cover Kwan, as well as any skater who left the ranks and is eligible to return.

2.2.h I don't understand, because it says that the number of skaters/teams can be increased by 1 because of 2.2.d. I would think it would apply to 2.2.f.

2.2. j allows pairs entitled to two spots to get a third, non-scoring spot, if all of the other two-spot pairs have been assigned.

2.2.l: the maximum number of skaters in any event from a given country is three, and this is not limited just to the host country.

3.4 says that if a skater who is seeded turns down one or both events up front, s/he cannot participate in shows or other competitions during the Grand Prix period (Oct 26-Dec 4), and that unless there is a medical issue, qualifiers for GPF must compete.

The CD's are:

SA: Westminster Waltz
SC: Golden Waltz
CoC: Rhumba
TEB: Westminster Waltz
CoR: Golden Waltz
NHK: Rhumba

OD: Tango. Choice of one, two, three rhythms. If two chosen, one can be repeated.

Maximum number of scoring spots, not including returning ISU championship medallists:

Ladies/Men/Dance: 72
Pairs: 60

If everyone who hasn't retired uses his/her/their spot,

Ladies: 39/72 guaranteed
Men: 43/72 guaranteed
Pairs: 39/60 guaranteed
Dance: 40/72 guaranteed

which leaves plenty of room for discretionary invitations (thinking good thoughts about Smalun, Berntsson, Zelenka, Othmann, Young, Contesti...)

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Alright, I missed 2.2d. After reading that I feel better.

Mathman (and the ISU) said:
A maximum of three (3) skaters/couples in each discipline from the host country may skate in the host country's event. This includes [I am reading this word 'includes" in the dictionary sense of "includes but is not limited to"] skaters/couples selected according to category 2.1 and 2.2 above.

Thanks for that, Mathman, I think that clears it up, or at least as clear as the ISU seems to ever be.

So if all spots are not filled, the host country can invite anyone with a top 75 seasonal best from any country who doesn't already have two invites?

Does anyone know if Kanallakan and Varner will be skating in seniors? And we still don't know about the Sasha and the GP, right?

Final question, Is there still a rule that 1-3 from worlds can't skate against eachother and 4-6 from worlds can't skate against eachother or did I make that up?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liashenko has likely retired, and Honda announced his retirement earlier this year.
Miller/Brubaker have split
Kanallakan is assigned to a JGP, so he can't compete in GP.
Varner will do GP; he has aged out of JGP
Voronov is still eligible for JGP; it will be interesting to see where the Russians place him.

Sasha said in an interview that she will not do the GP this coming season.