Choctaw help | Golden Skate

Choctaw help

Lanie

On the Ice
Anyone have any tips for choctaws? I picked up on them in my morning lesson, then this afternoon I went to the rink and I just couldn't do them at ALL! I can't even explain my problem with it - I just can't do the things!

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I can't do those yet, but I watch and talk to the 'real' figure skaters at the rink all the time.
You rotate on the part of the blade that is under the front part of your heel, and the power comes from your hips.
That's what the girl who does like 700 of them in a row said today....

Practice, practice, practice. It's the only way to get to the Olympics.

I'm sure there are plenty in dance. doesn't the quick step have a choctaw?

Joe

Lanie

On the Ice
My problem is I step awkwardly. It's like I just can't do it correctly. I too watch the other skaters, ie I've been watching Danielle Kahle - we were on the same ice, just the two of us, this morning when she was going through her new short program. :)

Me, Olympics? Joe, I'm glad you have faith in me, but I certainly am too old. ;) I AM working towards my Axel soon though. Maybe Adult Nats Champion 2011 then? ;) (That's when I'll be 25 and eligible to compete, hahaha.)

backspin

On the Ice
Lanie said:
My problem is I step awkwardly. It's like I just can't do it correctly. I too watch the other skaters, ie I've been watching Danielle Kahle - we were on the same ice, just the two of us, this morning when she was going through her new short program. :)

Me, Olympics? Joe, I'm glad you have faith in me, but I certainly am too old. ;) I AM working towards my Axel soon though. Maybe Adult Nats Champion 2011 then? ;) (That's when I'll be 25 and eligible to compete, hahaha.)

New rule as of last year; you are eligible at 21 for adult competition.

Which choctaw are you trying to do? There are several. Which entrance edges, forward or backward, are you trying, & is the new foot stepping in front or behind of the skating foot?

ETA: if you're trying to do the quick repeated choctaws from the Junior moves pattern, just for comparison, it took me about 6 months of doing them every time I skated to even be able to do them, and they're still not very quick. They take a lot of work, & timing is very important.

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm gliding backwards on my right foot and stepping onto the left then trying to go from left to right. :)

backspin

On the Ice
Ok, backwards right foot, outside or inside edge? And is the left foot setting down in front or behind the right foot?

Regardless, choctaws require really good soft knees & lots of bend, before, during, & after. :biggrin: And if you're doing the quick repeating ones, try to keep your head turned in the direction of travel, even when you're going backward & have a *really* strong check in your shoulders to make the back to front step possible. (front to back isn't as hard......for me, anyway.)