So Who's an Underdog and Who's a Favorite at Nationals? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

So Who's an Underdog and Who's a Favorite at Nationals?

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha could have spent 5 seconds empathizing with Kwan's blighted hope and then turned the spotlight back on herself. She missed her chance to come across as a more complete human being and instead once again affirmed herself as a spoiled ice princess.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is something that happened MONTHS ago. Good lord. I agree about the ice princess part, but I just don't get why some Kwanfans think that everyone should feel sorry for Kwan and if they don't, bam. JMHO

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
This is something that happened MONTHS ago. Good lord. I agree about the ice princess part, but I just don't get why some Kwanfans think that everyone should feel sorry for Kwan and if they don't, bam. JMHO

I do not think everyone should feel sorry for Kwan at all. She's someone to envy if anything! ;) My point about the whole Sasha/Olympic debacle was it could have been avoided witha simple,"I hope Michelle feels better." We all know how much reporters LOVE controvery, and the media covering skating is no different. I felt/believe that by Sasha not being sympathetic, the media was like,"Ooh! Maybe we can get some dirt!" I don't care if Sasha dislikes, hates, idolizes or is indiffernt to Michelle, but it was pretty telling/surprising that she refused to say anything nice while all those around were making sweet comments.

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Sasha could have spent 5 seconds empathizing with Kwan's blighted hope and then turned the spotlight back on herself. She missed her chance to come across as a more complete human being and instead once again affirmed herself as a spoiled ice princess.

Well at least Sasha was being real. I don't see Michelle expressing sympathy when Sasha missed a season out for her back injury or the problems that caused Sasha to pull out of the GP events. Michelle didn't even express sympathy for taking Emily's spot on the team and lied to the press that she was going to call the Hughes. When Emily was asked about whether she spoke with Michelle she said that she hadn't heard from her. So Michelle isn't any better than Sasha.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
First -- soogar, I disagree with your assessment of MIchelle's behavior. I don't recall her even being asked about Sasha, and she did state very clearly that she empathized with Emily, having gone through a similar experience. (What I thought was nice was that MK didn't mention how she -- like Emily -- came in 6th at Nats debut, prior to getting first medal, but not going to Olys, etc.) Furthermore, after MK withdrew, she was exceedingly complimentary about Emily. Also, that Emily didn't hear from Michelle doesn't mean that Michelle didn't call. Furthermore, I don't think that Fumie, Evan, etc. were "phony", simply because they managed a nice remark.

Back to the original topic, though --

If Kwan does compete at Nats, she might be the sentimental favorite, but nothing more than that. Does anyone recall the last time Michelle wasn't the favorite to win Nats?

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree-noone asked Michelle about Sasha WD from Nationals in 2001. In fact, the only time I've ever heard Michelle commenting on Sasha was way back in 2000 someone asked her and Frank what they thought and they both praised her spins. Michelle also said she was rooting for all the USA ladies, so perhaps Sasha is included in there..

Not only that, Michelle herself said she hadn't spoken with Emily, but was rooting for her. She has said lots of nice things, before the WD and after.

This has nothing to do with Sasha commenting on Michelle on her own choice. It's the fact that she had been repetively asked about Michelle and she chose NOT to express sympathy, etc. She doesn't have to gush and praise Michelle by any means and appear fake. How hard is it to answer the question,"What would you tell Michelle if you could speak to her?" with a nice,"Feel bettter soon!" Her comment,"I know how tough it is to come back from an injury and get yourself together. It's great she tried, but things don't always work out." and the other comment (when asked if it was weird that Michelle was not competiting) "For me that was never an issue, it has been about my own performance. If I do what I am capable of, I would be very happy with the result. So it doesn't affect my approach." I dunno...she just seemed to avoid answering with any personal touch/emotions. That's all...

However, in Sasha's defense, she did say Michelle is someone who's always been there and an icon.

Last edited:
Well, I blame Sasha's public relations team. If they had been on their toes they could have presented Sasha at the Olympics as the loyal heir apparent rising heroically to the challenge to win one for the Gipper.

The great battlefield of the final conflagration. The gallant captain, battered and bruised, at last can struggle on no farther. She pitches forward to one knee, her nation's proud flag slipping from her desperate grasp. All is lost.

But wait! To the fore dashes the gallant lieutenant, her brave heart pounding in her chest. She seizes the star-bedecked banner with firm -- yet humble -- hands. For the briefest moment, their eyes meet -- the fallen champion of so many glorious campaigns and the loyal shield-bearer, whose time at last has come. Three words fall from the Captain's bruised lips: "Carry on, soldier" -- and then her great strength fails, and the light grows dim, and passes into darkness.

Sasha raises her bowed head, her face a mask of steely determination. Alone she hears the distant trumpet sound, her own name called. Scoffing at danger, laughing at the jeers of the enemy, mocking the gods themselves, she stands in the gap, bestriding the arena like a very Colossus, as her foes in the Short Program scatter like straw.

(Tune in for Chapter Two. The LP: The gods mock back. :bow: )

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
It's the fact that she had been repetively asked about Michelle and she chose NOT to express sympathy, etc. She doesn't have to gush and praise Michelle by any means and appear fake. How hard is it to answer the question,"What would you tell Michelle if you could speak to her?" with a nice,"Feel bettter soon!" Her comment,"I know how tough it is to come back from an injury and get yourself together. It's great she tried, but things don't always work out." and the other comment (when asked if it was weird that Michelle was not competiting) "For me that was never an issue, it has been about my own performance. If I do what I am capable of, I would be very happy with the result. So it doesn't affect my approach." I dunno...she just seemed to avoid answering with any personal touch/emotions. That's all...

I don't see anything wrong with her comments at all. I think she's just one to focus on herself when in a "competition" setting and not worry about anyone else. Some of you guys are acting as if she wished bad luck on MK or something. Well, she didn't.

I think the confusion is whether or not you believe that Team America is really a team or are the contestants just out for themselves?

It is the Olympics and for whatever reason it's a nationality race as well, and should the Team players be concerned about each other?

(I believe Kwan did mention she'd be rooting for the US Team by her TV at home.)

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's an interesting question, and I think it's unique because even though you are sending a "team" to compete in figure skating or track and field events (or any other individual event), in the actual event it's every man (or lady) for himself; you are competing against your "teammates" as well as the international players. I think "team" in this case just means "group" rather than "team" in the sport sense (like a basketball or football team). That's how I see it, anyway. You didn't see Michelle Kwan jumping for joy when her "teammate" Sarah Hughes won the OGM- she was crushed...because she wanted it for HERSELF! That shows how individual these events are. However, I think all the Olympians of a country CAN be considered a "team" in a certain sense.

ETA: Forgive me if this looks weird or for any typos...my computer is slow as **** today..o

Last edited:
Joesitz said:
I think the confusion is whether or not you believe that Team America is really a team or are the contestants just out for themselves?

It is the Olympics and for whatever reason it's a nationality race as well, and should the Team players be concerned about each other?
I think the U.S. really shot itself in the foot on that one.

At a time when there is less interest in the Winter Olympics than in the national spelling bee (which was recently televised live in prime time on major network TV, with pretty good ratings)

-- at such a time the last thing any sport needs is a lot of selfish behavior and bad sportmanship, such as we saw with the U.S. speedskating team and the skiers.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, for certain skaters (such as Oly team-mates) to recognize a "tie" does not (or at least should not) detract from the competitve-ness in the individual events. For example, Michelle and Irina usually speak well of each other (especially when Irina is in the US) because there is a "tie" between them formed by ten years of competition (and five or so of touring) -- yet that doesn't detract from the competitive spirit shown by either of them.