HELP!!!one foot spin | Golden Skate

HELP!!!one foot spin

icequeensk8ter

Spectator
My coach says that a one foot spin is wrong if I do LFO three turn when I step forward into the 1 foot spin . IS this right or wrong ? i have done some research and the LFO 3 turn is performed in the one foot spin. My coach says to hold the LFO edge longer and flow into a small circle with the LFO edge.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Spins usually begin with back crossovers. The right back inside edge of the last crossover is held and the left leg, keeping a well bent knee, steps into the circle formed by the curve of that edge. A small tight three turn occurs at the entry into every spin. The skating knee remains bent until after the three "hooks" the spin, catching the first tooth of the toe pick on a back inside edge. After one turn has been completed the knee straightens, keeping the balance forward on the blade. It's best to step into the circle off the inside edge, rather then out of the circle.

Another entry (but less common) begins the spin from a right forward inside three, stepping form the back outside edge onto a left forward outside edge to begin the rotation into the spin.

Here is what the book "Figure Skating For Dummies" says on how to begin a spin:
Enter the spin from a forward outside edge-as your circle tightens, you begin a three turn. You're then on a back inside edge with your arms spread and the thigh of your free leg parallel to the ice and out to the side, skating knee slightly bent. Gradually straighten your skating leg and the circles will tighten. Pull your free foot in toward your skating knee while folding your hands towards your chest to spin faster.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't quite understand why, but that seemed to put it all together - I should get that book!!! The point where it really seamed "real" was the fact that the single skate is formed the same as the 2 blades that I acutely can pull off. Thanks, can't wait to hit the Ice now, whew hoo!!!!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
icequeensk8ter said:
My coach says that a one foot spin is wrong if I do LFO three turn when I step forward into the 1 foot spin . IS this right or wrong ? i have done some research and the LFO 3 turn is performed in the one foot spin. My coach says to hold the LFO edge longer and flow into a small circle with the LFO edge.
It is a 3-turn, sort-of - my coach teaches from a 3-turn. But you mustn't check, instead you sort-of throw your left shoulder back, and you must hold the entrance edge for longer than you would on an ordinary 3-turn.

I am not good at spinning solo (the Husband and I have a great change-foot spin in hold, though!), because I tend to let my weight fall out of the circle - anybody got any hints on how not to? The only way that even tries to work is if I pretend I'm going to do a sit-spin (which I can't do), and then I sometimes get more revolutions on my upright spin.

Perry

Rinkside
There is a 3-turn (you should be spinning on your back inside edge), but it's not very noticable -- I've been skating since I was 4, and until I started learning change of edge spins, I didn't even know that spins had edges!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Mrs Redboots said:
It is a 3-turn, sort-of - my coach teaches from a 3-turn. But you mustn't check, instead you sort-of throw your left shoulder back, and you must hold the entrance edge for longer than you would on an ordinary 3-turn.

I am not good at spinning solo (the Husband and I have a great change-foot spin in hold, though!), because I tend to let my weight fall out of the circle - anybody got any hints on how not to? The only way that even tries to work is if I pretend I'm going to do a sit-spin (which I can't do), and then I sometimes get more revolutions on my upright spin.
You have to be careful not to throw your arm around...it's a carefully controlled push
-your entrance edge should be long! This may be what your coach is talking about, IceQueen, you should have about 3-4 feet of entrance to your spin before it hooks
-keep deep in the knee going into the spin; free leg is out, slowly raise up; when you've centered your spin you bring everything in
-all the while the torso is mostly upright, arch your back if that helps to keep you from leaning to one side (and falling out of the spin); you should also have some tension in your shoulders at all times...not tense as in clenched, but pushing and the muscles tensioned

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
icequeensk8ter said:

The key to doing any spin well is to centre your spin on a well bent knee. Bring your leg slowly over the spinning leg. Try not to travel as this will force you to lose your balance. Hope this helps.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
The key to doing any spin well is to centre your spin on a well bent knee. Bring your leg slowly over the spinning leg. Try not to travel as this will force you to lose your balance. Hope this helps.

What is the best advice to someone always traveling?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The most important part of a spin is centering. A good spin is centered, which means that the body is in perfect balance over the blade, the shoulders and hips are square, the back is erect, and the spin remains in one spot. The spin print on the ice will leave small centered circles place closely beside the entry three. A traveling spin is will leave a print that looks like tiny looping circles across the ice.

Two common mistakes can cause a spin to travel: a shallow entry edge or an entry edge that does not progressively dimiish in diameter as it approaches the three. Allowing the leg to swing around before the point of the turn causes the spin to begin before the entry edge has diminished.

Entry edge techniques that assist in centering spins are maintaining the body weight over the skating side and leaning into the entry edge circle, which helps to make the edge a diminishing curve. It is also helpful to skate a strong, deep entry edge, keeping the free leg stretched and held firmly behind the body until the point of the three. The skating knee should stay bent until at least one full turn is completed.

Keeping the following points in mind will help keep a spin centered:
-The shoulders should be level and down.
-The hips should be level and square.
-The free leg should be controled and extended.
-After the spin is hooked the arms and free leg should reach their final position.
-The skating leg should make smooth, even, little circles.
-Centrifugal force will pull out on the arms and the free leg once they are relaxed.

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
When I'm in my spin, everything is fine for the first several revolutions, then I start traveling.....not sure what I'm doing wrong to fall out of it (I think I'm not doing any leaning or anything weird but who knows?). I catch my heel.

I'm going to video myself next time to be sure....stay tuned!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I'm told that in my spins, I face the wrong direction! In other words, if I'm trying to spin anti-clockwise, I'm looking over my right shoulder when I should be looking over my left shoulder. And my whole upper body faces out of the circle, allegedly.

Deep sigh! It is far easier to diagnose than to correct.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
SeaniBu said:
What is the best advice to someone always traveling?
My husband says "Get a passport, if not a visa!" Which is not very helpful, but I understand that the answer is to pull in tighter. I think.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mrs Redboots said:
My husband says "Get a passport, if not a visa!" Which is not very helpful, but I understand that the answer is to pull in tighter. I think.

Knee slapper:rofl:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mrs Redboots said:

I'm not sure pulling in tighter helps a travelling spin since pulling in tighter will only make you spin faster which, if you are travelling, will just result in more travelling. For me, once i start travelling i can very rarely correct it in an upright spin. On a sitspin if i raise up a bit and open out a little to slow the spin down i can sometimes re-centre the spin and then get back down again but if my upright travels that's it!

Ant