American Idol-Final Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol-Final Thoughts

L

lottafs

Re: American Idol-Final Thoughts

<span style="font-size:x-large;">Final thoughts? Clay should get back with the glasses. I loved them. *grins*

Replace Ruben's name with Frenchie Davis'. If Frenchie had still been there, that would be her name, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.</span>

M

mathman444

Show, about forerunners of this show, I know that you're not old enough to remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. In this show the television audience could start voting (by telephone, but you had to live in New York) right after each performance. So as they posted the results throughout the hour, naturally the first to perform were way ahead, then the others started to catch up. So it was very exciting watching your favorite gaining on the leaders.

Ventriloquist Paul Winchel and Jerry Mahoney won once (my fave after Howdy Doody).

And if anyone here is <em>really</em> a veteran, he/she might remember Major Bowes' Original Amateur Hour on the radio.

Mathman

S

Show 42

Hey Mathman.......actually, (or unfortunately) I do remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour (I didn't know infants were able to remember at such a young age ;) ). One of my favorites, but in those days, anything that was on the tube was a fav....I had forgotten about the voting part, though. I even remember listening to one of my favorite daytime dramas, "The Guiding Light" when it was still on the radio. Boy, does that date me or what? 42

S

Show 42

Thanks for a great article, RGal........42

R

rgirl181

Great link, Twinnie. Thanks! Love the description "Refreshingly normal." I actually miss seeing him every week. Just standing around, he didn't do anything for me. But as soon as he started singing, man, I thought he was so sexy. I wanted to shout, "If I were 20 years younger I'd want to have all your children!":lol:

BTW, Mathman, I too remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. My grandmother, who lived with us from when I was about 7 to 10 years old just LOVED Ted Mack. The other thing she loved, besides soap operas--she would yell at them in Italian, "Basta! Basta! Basta!"--was "Queen for a Day" where they brought out the most pathetic, hard luck women they could find and the audience would vote on who had the worst troubles. They had an applause meter and everything. The "Queen for a Day" got some cheesey prizes, but it was the stories that were so great. The Jerry Springer guests have nothing on these poor women.
Rgirl

M

mathman444

Queen For A Day demonstrates how quickly societal attitudes can change. Mostly, the poor women on the show were miserable because they "had so many children they didn't know what to do." A lady would come on and say, I have 12 kids and all I want is a washing machine so I don't have to do 12 sets of laundry every week. The audience would applaud and applaud!

Nowadays, if anyone has 12 kids its like, what's wrong with you?

Mathman

D

Dee4707

I remember those too. I was an avid fan of Howdy Doody. Does anyone remember that Search for Tomorrow and the Guiding Light Soaps were on for 15 minutes each everyday? I don't remember if As the World turns was too or if it was 30 minutes. I still tape As the World Turns everyday. It still has some of the original actors.

Dee

An aside note---Has anyone watched the American Junior's. Wow, some of those kids are really good. The reason I got interested is one of the kids, Chantel Kohl is from Omaha.

L

Lcp88

I have watched American Juniors, although not as diligintly as American Idol. Some of those kids are really little, I can't believe they can be so powerful!
Laura

J

Jayjen35

Sigh, well I'm evidently a rarity; a Ruben fan that bothers to post on anything but a fan site! I <em>liked</em> Clay well enough, but its hard read a fan thread of his without running into either posts outright insulting Ruben or completely discounting the idea that he has anything but <em>the most forgetable</em> and nothing but <em>average</em> voice. Next year I'll just watch the first few episodes, laugh and forget about AI after that!

P.S. edited to add an "s" :cool: