Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American Idol-Final Thoughts

Skate Sandee

Re: My thoughts on AI...

I was concerned with his health issues. He was sweating at the end of every performance. I know the lights are hot and bright and that nerves can be involved, but it seemed a bit too sweaty. >>

For what it's worth, I've seen toothpick-thin Whitney Houston in concert some years ago when her tour was sponsored by some fashion guru (Versace?). It should have been sponsored by Linen and Things because I never saw an artist sweat more that Whitney Houston. All I kept thinking was the poor designer's dresses being ruined by her constant prespiring!:lol:

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Notice we've seen NOTHING of Nikki since last year's competition...yet, the winner, second and FOURTH place contestants have been on this year's show (Way to go, all you losers who put Nikki ahead of Tamyra last year!)[/quote]

actually they showed her in teh special about the last years top contestants... and she said she was happy to just be at home with her family and her little business

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Clay had BETTER put "Bridge over troubled waters" on his CD! That AND "Unchained Melody", the best version of that song ever, past or present[/quote]

If I remember what I read... he's recording 2 singles? with 2 songs each... BOTW, Solitare, On the Wings Of Love, and This Is THe Night(which I love Simon can shove the music up his rear)

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Not that it's a joking matter, but I wonder if Ruben will have HIS heart attack/stroke before or after the age of 30....I mean, the guy is BIG, and he's just up there singing, not running a marathon or even walking to the bathroom...and sweat is just POURING off his face[/quote]

oh I hope not :(

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>What the heck was that Paula and Simon kissing, then Simon waking up with Randy thing?????????? Never mind, I don't want to know[/quote]

Randy and Simon are too funny :lol: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Have I said that Clay rocks?? He ROCKS![/quote]
    I second that! :lol:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Josh kind of gets skanked....he did make it to #4, but doesn't get to go on the tour...oh well, military service kind of frowns upon music tours when you've already had a few months off[/quote]
    again this is mostly rumor that I'm repeating... but AI producers don't want him back because he spoke out against the final decision saying something like the producers had Ruben picked since they saw him in auditions... again that is coming from a Clay board where the fanatics are really hanging onto threads...

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Ryan Seacrest is just the king of dorks...and I don't mean that in a good way[/quote]

I think he's hot... and he's a great personality and is perfect for the role of host!

mathman444

Doris, count me consoled. :lol:

Show 42

Re: American Idol-Final Thoughts

Hi Lad........as for the hype for the show, for me it started years ago with the original "Star Search" with Ed McMahon. I was intrigued by everyday people often rocketed to "Stardom" by winning the competitions each week. I started watching the new "Star Search" and naturally progressed to "American Idol"....... just everyday people making the "Big Time"........42

heyang

Hey, Rgirl.

Thanks for the athlete's cooling system explanation. BTW, I think that it's been mentioned that Ruben lost anywhere from 10 to 20 pounds while on AI. If it's true, he's at least aware of a possible image and/or health issue.

I haven't purchased any AI CD's. Kinda curious about Ruben's because it 'll include the group he performed with in Alabama.

lottafs

<span style="font-size:x-large;">Final thoughts? Clay should get back with the glasses. I loved them. *grins*

Replace Ruben's name with Frenchie Davis'. If Frenchie had still been there, that would be her name, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.</span>

mathman444

Show, about forerunners of this show, I know that you're not old enough to remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. In this show the television audience could start voting (by telephone, but you had to live in New York) right after each performance. So as they posted the results throughout the hour, naturally the first to perform were way ahead, then the others started to catch up. So it was very exciting watching your favorite gaining on the leaders.

Ventriloquist Paul Winchel and Jerry Mahoney won once (my fave after Howdy Doody).

And if anyone here is <em>really</em> a veteran, he/she might remember Major Bowes' Original Amateur Hour on the radio.

Mathman

Show 42

Hey Mathman.......actually, (or unfortunately) I do remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour (I didn't know infants were able to remember at such a young age ). One of my favorites, but in those days, anything that was on the tube was a fav....I had forgotten about the voting part, though. I even remember listening to one of my favorite daytime dramas, "The Guiding Light" when it was still on the radio. Boy, does that date me or what? 42

RealtorGal

Show 42

Thanks for a great article, RGal........42

rgirl181

Great link, Twinnie. Thanks! Love the description "Refreshingly normal." I actually miss seeing him every week. Just standing around, he didn't do anything for me. But as soon as he started singing, man, I thought he was so sexy. I wanted to shout, "If I were 20 years younger I'd want to have all your children!":lol:

BTW, Mathman, I too remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. My grandmother, who lived with us from when I was about 7 to 10 years old just LOVED Ted Mack. The other thing she loved, besides soap operas--she would yell at them in Italian, "Basta! Basta! Basta!"--was "Queen for a Day" where they brought out the most pathetic, hard luck women they could find and the audience would vote on who had the worst troubles. They had an applause meter and everything. The "Queen for a Day" got some cheesey prizes, but it was the stories that were so great. The Jerry Springer guests have nothing on these poor women.
    Rgirl

mathman444

Queen For A Day demonstrates how quickly societal attitudes can change. Mostly, the poor women on the show were miserable because they "had so many children they didn't know what to do." A lady would come on and say, I have 12 kids and all I want is a washing machine so I don't have to do 12 sets of laundry every week. The audience would applaud and applaud!

Nowadays, if anyone has 12 kids its like, what's wrong with you?

Mathman

Dee4707

I remember those too. I was an avid fan of Howdy Doody. Does anyone remember that Search for Tomorrow and the Guiding Light Soaps were on for 15 minutes each everyday? I don't remember if As the World turns was too or if it was 30 minutes. I still tape As the World Turns everyday. It still has some of the original actors.

Dee

An aside note---Has anyone watched the American Junior's. Wow, some of those kids are really good. The reason I got interested is one of the kids, Chantel Kohl is from Omaha.

Lcp88

I have watched American Juniors, although not as diligintly as American Idol. Some of those kids are really little, I can't believe they can be so powerful!
    Laura

Jayjen35

Sigh, well I'm evidently a rarity; a Ruben fan that bothers to post on anything but a fan site! I <em>liked</em> Clay well enough, but its hard read a fan thread of his without running into either posts outright insulting Ruben or completely discounting the idea that he has anything but <em>the most forgetable</em> and nothing but <em>average</em> voice. Next year I'll just watch the first few episodes, laugh and forget about AI after that!

P.S. edited to add an "s"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2