Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help, a snake

Help, a snake

I am just beside myself. I am so afraid of snakes and just had one climb out of a hanging flower basket on my patio. I called the police and this policeman came out and couldn't find it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to trap them?
    I'm a nervous wreck. Luckily I had watered the plants pretty well yesterday. Sure hope you can come up with some ideas. This has been a bad day pain wise anyway.

Grgranny, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have a snake phobia so I know how frightening this is. I have no idea how to catch a snake. Have tried to educate myself so that I will be less afraid but it hasn't helped. I would suggest you make sure there are no holes in screens and that all doors and windows are closed securely to prevent the snake from entering your house. .As for the plant, this is just me, but I would let it die rather than risk another encounter with the snake. Of course there is.....

They are more afraid of you than you are of them. WHO decides these things? I say impossible!

I have heard that people call exterminators to get rid of them. Sorry that I can't help you. I am praying that your pain will be lessoned and that you find comfort and peace of mind tonight.

(((((Hugs)))))
    Patti

Are these the ones you just put up? Bummer. Is it a Gardner snake or some serious? I know it doesn't matter but it was probably getting rid of other "critters" you don't want.

Well the snake traps I used to make as a kid involved heavy grad wire mesh, like the kind you find on hamster cages - really small squared metal. Then I would tape up a box and leave one side open, cut the metal slightly larger then the open side of the box, particularly the length wise. I am starting to think it might be easier to explain with a pic. but you could also "loan one" from some where I am sure...well sorta sure. It is basically a screen the snake can push it's way in but can't push out - like a flap. And I would put bugs in the box. caught a few this way, and a little turtle once.

I don't think you would make this so I hope you can get a loaner, surprised the cop didn't know. Do you have animal control?

Yes, I had just hung them a couple of weeks ago. This one had the little bedding begonias I had overwintered in the house. I like to (and it's cheaper) save some over or make new ones from cuttings.
    The policemen (& women) are the animal control. Mostly they catch dogs. I plan to call the local vet tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Makes me wonder if I should get an apt. instead of buying a house! But, I want a garage near my kitchen door. I don't know what kind it is. It sure wasn't small. The belly looked kind of white with black markings. With my luck, it probably has babies in it.
    I know they are more afraid. That's no help when people say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I know they are more afraid. That's no help when people say that.
    Yah, that is no help at all. I just think there doing a job and not really there for me and I can deal with them. Amazing what I would do as a kid.

Well I hope they put up some traps for you and catch that sucker! Oh and before any babies, that would get me doing the cotton-eye-joe! To bad you don't have Rabbits, they see snakes and rip those things up - witnessed that once. Maybe a Raccoon will get it or something.

I do have a few rabbits, but not many. Used to have a lot and they all disappeared and the one's now are different. There's a creek behind the house across the street so that doesn't help much. I am thinking about getting some of those fake owls and putting them around. I do have a possum that goes across my patio every night., watched one night and he digs in my flower boxes. I put some moth balls on them and that didn't help so next I used cayenne pepper. I don't know how long before I'm brave enough to go see.

Move to Alaska, they don't come up here lol

sorry I can't help, we thankfully do not have to ever deal with that problem *hugs*

I have heard and never saw a snake in Hawaii. They say they don't have them.

That's what they say about Hawaii but it's not true.
    First of all, the numerous planes that go there have them up in their underpinnings (or whatever) and now there are. My dental hygenist is from there and she says they have tree snakes. She should know, she lived there for a long time. I know that's what they said in their brochures when we went and we never saw any but I sure pussyfoot around those woods, etc. anyway.
    Maybe I should go to Ireland!

that is interesting to know, I guess it is like anything that we find here in the states that was brought along via are own "vehicle." Red ants, Dandelions, etc..

I had one in my house once. I was getting ready to leave for work. Usually, I don't turn on the hallway light towards the garage, but I did that morning. You can just imagine how my heart leapt when I saw a snake lying in front of the door to the garage. Yikes! Since I'm a late riser, I already knew my brother was at work.
    I knew I wasn't leaving the house until I knew exactly how the snake left the house - did not want to risk coming home and not knowing if it was still inside the house.

I ended up calling my next door neighbor - he's retired and real outdoorsy. He brought over a big stick and heavy gloves. When he saw it, he was like 'Ah. Not a big one.' Then, he picked it up in gloved hands and said he would get rid of it somewhere.

On another occasion, I saw a shedded snakeskin on my walkway.

Anyway, I went to ask jeeves (www.aj.com) and entered 'How do you catch a snake' and it came up with a number of websites. Good Luck!

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I was trying to check this out on the web as well, and didn't come up with anything that didn't involve buying something. Including -- if you can believe this -- a GLUE TRAP. To which I can only reply, "Oh, I rather think NOT"......

From our local newspaper last week.

"Pilot Gets Unwanted Guest On Flight"

http://wvgazette.com/section/News/2006060122

Can't wait to find out about this this snake. I am bated GrGranny!

I hope Grganny is going to be OK!!!!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Oh thanks a lot you guys now I got the willy jillys and heebie jeebies. I just become really stupid when I hear this stuff, start twitching and am afraid of everything.

Dee

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast