Help, a snake | Golden Skate

Help, a snake

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I am just beside myself. I am so afraid of snakes and just had one climb out of a hanging flower basket on my patio. I called the police and this policeman came out and couldn't find it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to trap them?
I'm a nervous wreck. Luckily I had watered the plants pretty well yesterday. Sure hope you can come up with some ideas. This has been a bad day pain wise anyway.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have a snake phobia so I know how frightening this is. I have no idea how to catch a snake. Have tried to educate myself so that I will be less afraid but it hasn't helped. I would suggest you make sure there are no holes in screens and that all doors and windows are closed securely to prevent the snake from entering your house. .As for the plant, this is just me, but I would let it die rather than risk another encounter with the snake. Of course there is.....

They are more afraid of you than you are of them. WHO decides these things? I say impossible!

I have heard that people call exterminators to get rid of them. Sorry that I can't help you. I am praying that your pain will be lessoned and that you find comfort and peace of mind tonight.

(((((Hugs)))))
Patti

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Are these the ones you just put up? Bummer. Is it a Gardner snake or some serious? I know it doesn't matter but it was probably getting rid of other "critters" you don't want.

Well the snake traps I used to make as a kid involved heavy grad wire mesh, like the kind you find on hamster cages - really small squared metal. Then I would tape up a box and leave one side open, cut the metal slightly larger then the open side of the box, particularly the length wise. I am starting to think it might be easier to explain with a pic. but you could also "loan one" from some where I am sure...well sorta sure. It is basically a screen the snake can push it's way in but can't push out - like a flap. And I would put bugs in the box. caught a few this way, and a little turtle once.

I don't think you would make this so I hope you can get a loaner, surprised the cop didn't know. Do you have animal control?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Yes, I had just hung them a couple of weeks ago. This one had the little bedding begonias I had overwintered in the house. I like to (and it's cheaper) save some over or make new ones from cuttings.
The policemen (& women) are the animal control. Mostly they catch dogs. I plan to call the local vet tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Makes me wonder if I should get an apt. instead of buying a house! But, I want a garage near my kitchen door. I don't know what kind it is. It sure wasn't small. The belly looked kind of white with black markings. With my luck, it probably has babies in it.:cry:
I know they are more afraid. That's no help when people say that.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I know they are more afraid. That's no help when people say that.

Yah, that is no help at all. I just think there doing a job and not really there for me and I can deal with them. Amazing what I would do as a kid.

Well I hope they put up some traps for you and catch that sucker! Oh and before any babies, that would get me doing the cotton-eye-joe! To bad you don't have Rabbits, they see snakes and rip those things up - witnessed that once. Maybe a Raccoon will get it or something.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I do have a few rabbits, but not many. Used to have a lot and they all disappeared and the one's now are different. There's a creek behind the house across the street so that doesn't help much. I am thinking about getting some of those fake owls and putting them around. I do have a possum that goes across my patio every night., watched one night and he digs in my flower boxes. I put some moth balls on them and that didn't help so next I used cayenne pepper. I don't know how long before I'm brave enough to go see.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Move to Alaska, they don't come up here lol

sorry I can't help, we thankfully do not have to ever deal with that problem *hugs*

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have heard and never saw a snake in Hawaii. They say they don't have them.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
That's what they say about Hawaii but it's not true.
First of all, the numerous planes that go there have them up in their underpinnings (or whatever) and now there are. My dental hygenist is from there and she says they have tree snakes. She should know, she lived there for a long time. I know that's what they said in their brochures when we went and we never saw any but I sure pussyfoot around those woods, etc. anyway.
Maybe I should go to Ireland!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
that is interesting to know, I guess it is like anything that we find here in the states that was brought along via are own "vehicle." Red ants, Dandelions, etc..

heyang

Record Breaker
I had one in my house once. I was getting ready to leave for work. Usually, I don't turn on the hallway light towards the garage, but I did that morning. You can just imagine how my heart leapt when I saw a snake lying in front of the door to the garage. Yikes! Since I'm a late riser, I already knew my brother was at work.
I knew I wasn't leaving the house until I knew exactly how the snake left the house - did not want to risk coming home and not knowing if it was still inside the house.

I ended up calling my next door neighbor - he's retired and real outdoorsy. He brought over a big stick and heavy gloves. When he saw it, he was like 'Ah. Not a big one.' Then, he picked it up in gloved hands and said he would get rid of it somewhere.

On another occasion, I saw a shedded snakeskin on my walkway.

Anyway, I went to ask jeeves (www.aj.com) and entered 'How do you catch a snake' and it came up with a number of websites. Good Luck!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was trying to check this out on the web as well, and didn't come up with anything that didn't involve buying something. Including -- if you can believe this -- a GLUE TRAP. To which I can only reply, "Oh, I rather think NOT"......

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Can't wait to find out about this this snake. I am bated GrGranny!:biggrin:

I hope Grganny is going to be OK!!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh thanks a lot you guys now I got the willy jillys and heebie jeebies. :laugh: :laugh: I just become really stupid when I hear this stuff, start twitching and am afraid of everything. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I was worrying about my plants not getting watered and it rained a bunch early this morning. I was able to feed the dog by driving over there and coming in from the front. The things we cowards do! :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I was trying to check this out on the web as well, and didn't come up with anything that didn't involve buying something. Including -- if you can believe this -- a GLUE TRAP. To which I can only reply, "Oh, I rather think NOT"......

The glue trap may be a little gross and inhumane, but if there might be babies involved....might not be a bad idea.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I already have some glue traps but haven't had the heart for that. I have some out in the shed to kill spiders. There were some in the basement but don't think they're there any more.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
The glue trap may be a little gross and inhumane, but if there might be babies involved....might not be a bad idea.

I'm just thinking, from the standpoint of being afraid of snakes (I'm actually not, as long as they're not poisonous or way too big), the last thing you would want to do, if you are, is to have to pick up a glue trap with a half-dead snake attached to it. Gross and inhumane has less to do with it than the fact that if something I'm afraid of is attached to that thing, it can just SIT there for years on end as far as I'm concerned. Tho from a general curiousity standpoint, I wonder how big the trap would have to be? What if the snake is like 2 feet long? (Sorry, Ggranny, I'm sure that's the LAST thing you want to hear...) Does the glue trap have to be like Giant Persian Rug size?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
JonnyCoop said:
I'm just thinking, from the standpoint of being afraid of snakes (I'm actually not, as long as they're not poisonous or way too big), the last thing you would want to do, if you are, is to have to pick up a glue trap with a half-dead snake attached to it. Gross and inhumane has less to do with it than the fact that if something I'm afraid of is attached to that thing, it can just SIT there for years on end as far as I'm concerned. Tho from a general curiousity standpoint, I wonder how big the trap would have to be? What if the snake is like 2 feet long? (Sorry, Ggranny, I'm sure that's the LAST thing you want to hear...) Does the glue trap have to be like Giant Persian Rug size?

It was over 2 ft long and I thought of the same thing. I am pretty sure it's not poisonous. That is one of the main reasons I hadn't considered it and the fact that it is just inhumane. Actually, if I did catch one that way, the police would come and take care of it for me. (even though the police chief across the street hates me).

I think what I really need is a handy man - preferably rich! :rofl: