Help, a snake | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Help, a snake

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grgranny said:
It was over 2 ft long and I thought of the same thing. I am pretty sure it's not poisonous. That is one of the main reasons I hadn't considered it and the fact that it is just inhumane. Actually, if I did catch one that way, the police would come and take care of it for me. (even though the police chief across the street hates me).

I think what I really need is a handy man - preferably rich! :rofl:

Well, I don't think it's inhumane at all, I say kill them all. Anything that scares me like that shouldn't be alive.

Let's hear for Grgranny wanting a rich man!!

I need to stop posting in this thread. :laugh: :laugh: I told you I get all goofy.

Dee :laugh: :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally, I too find the overall concept of a glue trap to be inhumane, not to mention just GROSS. And for a snake it just seems totally impractical. I mean, really -- can you imagine trying to use a glue trap to catch one of those Amazon Basin anacondas????

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop said:
can you imagine trying to use a glue trap to catch one of those Amazon Basin anacondas????
My biggest concern would be Grgranny getting caught in the trap.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I'm just thinking, from the standpoint of being afraid of snakes (I'm actually not, as long as they're not poisonous or way too big), the last thing you would want to do, if you are, is to have to pick up a glue trap with a half-dead snake attached to it. Gross and inhumane has less to do with it than the fact that if something I'm afraid of is attached to that thing, it can just SIT there for years on end as far as I'm concerned. Tho from a general curiousity standpoint, I wonder how big the trap would have to be? What if the snake is like 2 feet long? (Sorry, Ggranny, I'm sure that's the LAST thing you want to hear...) Does the glue trap have to be like Giant Persian Rug size?

I don't like the idea of the glue thing either, but I said that it was inhumane already anyway. The reason I thought it might not be a bad Idea is because Grganny said it appeared to be pregnant, and I have no clue how you could keep all those little babies in a trap, they could get out of anything I was thinking of. It sounds really mean - particularly cause they're "babies" - and I hope it just "moves out" before the babies come and Grganny doesn't have to deal with that. Maybe the neighborhood boys could get a $1 for every snake they catch over a foot and a nickel a piece for the babies.

I just want to clarify I don't really think it is the right thing to do, but necessity might dictate this as being the best thing to do. Sounds like she has some for the spiders anyhoo, and that might get some of the babies - if God forbid there are any.

My vote is for the rich handyman!:laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The glue traps are considered humane. Here's a link that shows how they work. Frankly I don't care if it;s humane or not as far as snakes go. I hate them and if the world was rid of them I would be much happier...until the rats took over. Further reading about the glue traps says that to free the snakes from the trap you need to rub the glue off with vegetable oil or spray to remove it from the snakes skin.....like anyone wants THAT job....yuck! My fear would be if the neck and head of the snake wasn't glued down. This is going to be one p***** off snake!

Blue Bead

Medalist
How does one determine that a snake is pregnant for sure? LOL It could just be that the snake had finished the meal of a rat. Even fairly large garter snakes or black snakes look "pregnant" for a while after they've eaten some large prey. Personally I would rather have snakes in the area (but not the poisonous kind) than have my house and gardens overrun with rats. As far as I know snakes don't carry diseases the way rats do, so I'll take the snakes over the rats any day!LOL

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
The glue traps are considered humane. Here's a link that shows how they work. Frankly I don't care if it;s humane or not as far as snakes go. I hate them and if the world was rid of them I would be much happier...until the rats took over. Further reading about the glue traps says that to free the snakes from the trap you need to rub the glue off with vegetable oil or spray to remove it from the snakes skin.....like anyone wants THAT job....yuck! My fear would be if the neck and head of the snake wasn't glued down. This is going to be one p***** off snake!

That is a great point Piel, didn't think that they could be freed. Besides that, they should shed their skin anyway. So it doesn't sound that bad if you need to get rid of the things. It will just have to squirm around freaked out for a little while getting even more glued in. I would think eventually it would move its body over the whole trap trying to free it's self, and get it's head caught too. I was thinking more that you would toss it in the trash and let it suffocate and die.

Wait, what if it's nose gets covered with glue? Like I really care all that much, but I do have little sympathy even for pests. I think even if you do kill it - which is fine too IMO - quick and doesn't know what hit it, so to speak, is best.

BTW, where's the link?

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I was thinking that if you had a copperhead or rattlesnake with it's head not securely glued.....yikes! Also, a snake ready to shed could probably just crawl right out of the glued skin.

Dee I'm with you. I am holding my feet up off of the floor as I type, LOL.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I was thinking that if you had a copperhead or rattlesnake with it's head not securely glued.....yikes! Also, a snake ready to shed could probably just crawl right out of the glued skin.

Yah something like that I would kill however I could with no regard for it's well being! Die pittiful little demon Snake, DIE!!!!!

Piel said:
Dee I'm with you. I am holding my feet up off of the floor as I type, LOL.

In hoping that Grgranny doesn't get stuck in the trap?:rofl: J/K

I see no need for the poisons verities myself. But I would still rather misquotes be the first things humans intentionally rid the word of!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Further reading about the glue traps says that to free the snakes from the trap you need to rub the glue off with vegetable oil or spray to remove it from the snakes skin.....like anyone wants THAT job....

OK, first of all -- why would you set the traps if you were just going to free the thing anyway? Is this some sort of weird variation of catch-em-throw-em-back? Secondly, the mental pictures I am getting on this whole thread are just getting weirder and weirder; so now we head for the glue trap with a can of PAM in hand and start spraying away at it? Talk about hoping your neighbors ain't watching.....

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Jonny I think the assumption is that everyone is only interested in removing them from their homes without harming them. I say kill them and be done with it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Jonny I think the assumption is that everyone is only interested in removing them from their homes without harming them. I say kill them and be done with it.

Hopefully no one from PETA read that :laugh:

seriously though, I agree... better you harm it than it harms you!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Now, now. I never said I thought it was pregnant. I said if there were babies and after I think about it, if they're thinking they're in danger, they swallow the babies. That's what happened when my brothers would tease them on the farm. I sure didn't stand there and watch it. EEEEEuuuu. I should have to see what way it went but when you have a problem like that you don't want to look. Then when I got my paper yesterday, one of the sections had pictures of snakes on the first and third pages of that section. So I threw it out. If I died someone will have to tell me. :laugh: One time my brothers went out to the barn and there was a snake in the manger hole where they tie up the horses and it had swallowed 2 eggs. One on each side of the whole and was stuck so the brothers smashed the eggs and it went on through. ughhhhhhhhh I could look it up and see if they lay eggs or have babies but there would be pictures of snakes so I couldn't read it anyway. :laugh:

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Yeah, determining whether or not someone who lays eggs is 'pregnant' or not tends to be difficult.....

Don't kill the snake, no matter how supposedly 'humane' (???) the method may be according to whatever self-styled expert.
If memory serves, the only dangerous snake you would have in your neck of the woods would be a Prairie rattler, and you'd definitely notice if that's what it was.
Otherwise, this snake will probably just sleep somewhere most of the time (they're VERY good at that...), and eat the odd mouse once a week or so.

I've got black widows, lots of them, living right outside the door, and all I do when one decides to come in, is gently evict the lady, so she doesn't bite the cats.

Your snake is nothing to worry about, it's not a shark.......

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Wolfgang, have you ever heard of the word phobia. It doesn't matter at all how dangerous it is. Do you expect someone with claustrophrobia to get on an elevator? I get people laughing at me all the time, but to me it is not funny. If I had known there was help for it years ago I would have done that. Now that I am old and know they are going to force me to be in a room with them, forget it. Do you tell people who cannot go out of their house to just get over it and go out. If so, I'm sorry you have no empathy.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop said:
Secondly, the mental pictures I am getting on this whole thread are just getting weirder and weirder; so now we head for the glue trap with a can of PAM in hand and start spraying away at it? Talk about hoping your neighbors ain't watching.....
No way would I waste a can of Pam. I would roll it up in a piece of carpet (Yikes, my skin is crawling) and then get in my car and run over it and then back up and run over it again, and again and again. I sound like a psycho!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Am I related to the Bates family?

Piel, I liked our thread about our precious Camille much better.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I apologize Grganny, I would be at fault for leading this in that direction. It was due to your comment....

Grgranny said:
The belly looked kind of white with black markings. With my luck, it probably has babies in it.

....misunderstood....So I thought glue, to trap the babies too. 'Cause I didn't know of a trap or even a killing device other than poison - that potentially would be bad for other animals around.

And I feel what "wolfy" is saying - meaning sympathize. I don't like playing "God" and deciding what lives and dies. YET on the other hand it is the evolution of the world. The IDEA that no other species has driven another to extinction is ONLY speculation. And in reality, with all the other "stuff" and species we introduce the balance will change - whether we do something intentional or not.

My heart says, "please be nice and humane to all of "Gods" creatures. They all serve some kind of balance."

My mind says, "what is the difference, we made a difference by thriving above all other species. It is time they adapt or fade away. And if it were my Mom, Grandma....that was getting freaked out by the thing, I would eliminate it's life to have Grandmas that much better."

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Piel said:

My friend does that with mice, but he uses one of those "catch but not harm" traps where he can just pick it up and toss them out in a field someplace; I should think if you're going to go that route, a glue trap is just not the way to go.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
No way would I waste a can of Pam. I would roll it up in a piece of carpet (Yikes, my skin is crawling) and then get in my car and run over it and then back up and run over it again, and again and again. I sound like a psycho!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Jonny, you're a girl ? guy? after my own heart. :cool: I couldn't do it but the thought does come to mind.

(girl - guy? If you're a guy over 68 and single and rich, let's talk.:rofl: )