Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help, a snake

I was worrying about my plants not getting watered and it rained a bunch early this morning. I was able to feed the dog by driving over there and coming in from the front. The things we cowards do!

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    I was trying to check this out on the web as well, and didn't come up with anything that didn't involve buying something. Including -- if you can believe this -- a GLUE TRAP. To which I can only reply, "Oh, I rather think NOT"......
    The glue trap may be a little gross and inhumane, but if there might be babies involved....might not be a bad idea.

I already have some glue traps but haven't had the heart for that. I have some out in the shed to kill spiders. There were some in the basement but don't think they're there any more.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    The glue trap may be a little gross and inhumane, but if there might be babies involved....might not be a bad idea.
    I'm just thinking, from the standpoint of being afraid of snakes (I'm actually not, as long as they're not poisonous or way too big), the last thing you would want to do, if you are, is to have to pick up a glue trap with a half-dead snake attached to it. Gross and inhumane has less to do with it than the fact that if something I'm afraid of is attached to that thing, it can just SIT there for years on end as far as I'm concerned. Tho from a general curiousity standpoint, I wonder how big the trap would have to be? What if the snake is like 2 feet long? (Sorry, Ggranny, I'm sure that's the LAST thing you want to hear...) Does the glue trap have to be like Giant Persian Rug size?

I'm just thinking, from the standpoint of being afraid of snakes (I'm actually not, as long as they're not poisonous or way too big), the last thing you would want to do, if you are, is to have to pick up a glue trap with a half-dead snake attached to it. Gross and inhumane has less to do with it than the fact that if something I'm afraid of is attached to that thing, it can just SIT there for years on end as far as I'm concerned. Tho from a general curiousity standpoint, I wonder how big the trap would have to be? What if the snake is like 2 feet long? (Sorry, Ggranny, I'm sure that's the LAST thing you want to hear...) Does the glue trap have to be like Giant Persian Rug size?
    It was over 2 ft long and I thought of the same thing. I am pretty sure it's not poisonous. That is one of the main reasons I hadn't considered it and the fact that it is just inhumane. Actually, if I did catch one that way, the police would come and take care of it for me. (even though the police chief across the street hates me).

I think what I really need is a handy man - preferably rich!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    It was over 2 ft long and I thought of the same thing. I am pretty sure it's not poisonous. That is one of the main reasons I hadn't considered it and the fact that it is just inhumane. Actually, if I did catch one that way, the police would come and take care of it for me. (even though the police chief across the street hates me).

I think what I really need is a handy man - preferably rich!
    Well, I don't think it's inhumane at all, I say kill them all. Anything that scares me like that shouldn't be alive.

Let's hear for Grgranny wanting a rich man!!

I need to stop posting in this thread. I told you I get all goofy.

Dee

Personally, I too find the overall concept of a glue trap to be inhumane, not to mention just GROSS. And for a snake it just seems totally impractical. I mean, really -- can you imagine trying to use a glue trap to catch one of those Amazon Basin anacondas????

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    can you imagine trying to use a glue trap to catch one of those Amazon Basin anacondas????
    My biggest concern would be Grgranny getting caught in the trap.

Dee

I don't like the idea of the glue thing either, but I said that it was inhumane already anyway. The reason I thought it might not be a bad Idea is because Grganny said it appeared to be pregnant, and I have no clue how you could keep all those little babies in a trap, they could get out of anything I was thinking of. It sounds really mean - particularly cause they're "babies" - and I hope it just "moves out" before the babies come and Grganny doesn't have to deal with that. Maybe the neighborhood boys could get a $1 for every snake they catch over a foot and a nickel a piece for the babies.

I just want to clarify I don't really think it is the right thing to do, but necessity might dictate this as being the best thing to do. Sounds like she has some for the spiders anyhoo, and that might get some of the babies - if God forbid there are any.

My vote is for the rich handyman!

The glue traps are considered humane. Here's a link that shows how they work. Frankly I don't care if it;s humane or not as far as snakes go. I hate them and if the world was rid of them I would be much happier...until the rats took over. Further reading about the glue traps says that to free the snakes from the trap you need to rub the glue off with vegetable oil or spray to remove it from the snakes skin.....like anyone wants THAT job....yuck! My fear would be if the neck and head of the snake wasn't glued down. This is going to be one p***** off snake!

Custom Title
    How does one determine that a snake is pregnant for sure? LOL It could just be that the snake had finished the meal of a rat. Even fairly large garter snakes or black snakes look "pregnant" for a while after they've eaten some large prey. Personally I would rather have snakes in the area (but not the poisonous kind) than have my house and gardens overrun with rats. As far as I know snakes don't carry diseases the way rats do, so I'll take the snakes over the rats any day!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    The glue traps are considered humane. Here's a link that shows how they work. Frankly I don't care if it;s humane or not as far as snakes go. I hate them and if the world was rid of them I would be much happier...until the rats took over. Further reading about the glue traps says that to free the snakes from the trap you need to rub the glue off with vegetable oil or spray to remove it from the snakes skin.....like anyone wants THAT job....yuck! My fear would be if the neck and head of the snake wasn't glued down. This is going to be one p***** off snake!
    That is a great point Piel, didn't think that they could be freed. Besides that, they should shed their skin anyway. So it doesn't sound that bad if you need to get rid of the things. It will just have to squirm around freaked out for a little while getting even more glued in. I would think eventually it would move its body over the whole trap trying to free it's self, and get it's head caught too. I was thinking more that you would toss it in the trash and let it suffocate and die.

Wait, what if it's nose gets covered with glue? Like I really care all that much, but I do have little sympathy even for pests. I think even if you do kill it - which is fine too IMO - quick and doesn't know what hit it, so to speak, is best.

BTW, where's the link?
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-06-2006 at 06:14 PM.

I was thinking that if you had a copperhead or rattlesnake with it's head not securely glued.....yikes! Also, a snake ready to shed could probably just crawl right out of the glued skin.

Dee I'm with you. I am holding my feet up off of the floor as I type, LOL.

I was thinking that if you had a copperhead or rattlesnake with it's head not securely glued.....yikes! Also, a snake ready to shed could probably just crawl right out of the glued skin.
    Yah something like that I would kill however I could with no regard for it's well being! Die pittiful little demon Snake, DIE!!!!!

Dee I'm with you. I am holding my feet up off of the floor as I type, LOL.
    In hoping that Grgranny doesn't get stuck in the trap? J/K

I see no need for the poisons verities myself. But I would still rather misquotes be the first things humans intentionally rid the word of!

Further reading about the glue traps says that to free the snakes from the trap you need to rub the glue off with vegetable oil or spray to remove it from the snakes skin.....like anyone wants THAT job....
    OK, first of all -- why would you set the traps if you were just going to free the thing anyway? Is this some sort of weird variation of catch-em-throw-em-back? Secondly, the mental pictures I am getting on this whole thread are just getting weirder and weirder; so now we head for the glue trap with a can of PAM in hand and start spraying away at it? Talk about hoping your neighbors ain't watching.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast