Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Slutskaya records a song and promises to strip

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn Rant
    Yeah, when will this happen? It would...
    You left Yagudin off the list.
    xoxo
    Rave
    Hey, I said "for starters" and listed my top 4 candidates, but I assure you, Alexei is a very close 5th............... (ordinal placement flip, ya know.... )

This could be a thread unto itself. Actually, I think it has been.

I am rather amused by the phrasing "Slutskaya..... promises to strip." I can just see her at a press conference. "I'm gonna strip! No, really!! No, no.... I PROMISE!!!!!"

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    Well, guess that rules out "make a baby" for a while!
    Grgranny, she can do both!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I wonder if all this means that Irina is leaning toward retiring from competition.
    That was my first thought.

Dee

I would have more respect for her if she waited to do something obviously and deliberately "sexually provocative" if she was out of Amateurs status. I'm just funny that way.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    I don't believe in this stuff

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    I am rather amused by the phrasing "Slutskaya..... promises to strip." I can just see her at a press conference. "I'm gonna strip! No, really!! No, no.... I PROMISE!!!!!"
    Can't resist this one...but the name fits just right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    I don't believe in this stuff
    I don't understand this sentence. I think it's probably that our languages are different and you wouldn't understand, had I done the same thing. Just wondered what you mean.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I don't understand this sentence. I think it's probably that our languages are different and you wouldn't understand, had I done the same thing. Just wondered what you mean.

I mean, I don't believe this info about Irina is correct

Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    I mean, I don't believe this info about Irina is correct
    That is interesting? I kinda hope we see skating from her and this isn't true for right now, or really anytimre in the future because I feel like we all have already seen this from her. NOT THE STRIPPING, that I think is over exaggerated and feel like it would - if anything - be more of Ira doing the same "Victoria Secret" style that she has already produced a few of anyway.

I think the "sensationalistic" wording conjures the wrong ideas of what she MAY HAVE said. Might also be a Translation issue again. I thought she was Orthodox or something, and couldn't see her doing anything that wasn't along the lines of what one might see on a Beach in the south of France per sa.

As far as the "big bottom" comment, I didn't really like that. She has a great figure IMO! But I guess that is what you have to deal with when everyone IS FREE to voice their opinion. Oh well. 2 sides to every coin, and they are both the same size unfortunately - wish it wouldn't flip so much - or ever in this case. Alas free to think and voice
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-06-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Seanibu, you're right about sensational headlines. Every time I translate those Russian articles I get shocked by how they will choose one tiny "dirty" line and make that into a headline. However, when I translate I try to maintain as much as possible the spirit of the original. Also, "strip" is in this case my own translation of the Russian original, but I don't think direct translation would have been any better in this case - "Slutskaya records a song and promises to undress" (MM, if you think that's better, feel free to change the thread title).

Down With It
    it comes to the same meaning, really. I have no problem with the title as is.

Me either. "Strip" can be taken in a kind of campy, sassy, Gypsy Rose Lee sort of way, without shocking anyone, IMHO.

Ptichka, I don't have a problem with the headline either. I think the latter is more funny but same diff. I shows that the media will really do anything they can to make it seem like more than it is.

Also my comments about translation were not indicating you had done anything under question - more the direction of how words in the mind can be formed with a meaning that one so desires, as reading something that has be translated. Not that you made it mean something that it didn't. I hope I didn't come across as though I was saying you had done wrong. (praying for forgiveness emoticon)

I wouldn't put it past Irina to say something to generate attention her way either.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-06-2006 at 06:47 PM.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Re. the headline, It's not the "strip" I'm focusing on, it's the "promise" aspect. To me, it kind of reads that there's an implication there that we all have just been CLAMORING for her to take it all off ever since she turned 18 or something....

Down With It
    what? I don't see that AT ALL. Then again, I've been around picture forums where I see "catchy" titles all the time. This one is pretty "tame" compared to those. JMO

if anything, having a show in St P might help make a baby. I can only imagine that all the touring outside of Russia means not being with her husband. By having her show close to home, she can spend more time with him.

On a side note, the show might help encourage potential skaters in Russia.

Plushy's got a baby now too. Perhaps he and Irina should team up to develop a show.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast