Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Judging errors in the past

Banned

Biggest Judging errors in the past

What performances in the past do you think were underrated/overrated, resulting in the skater either not getting the medal they deserved or doing better than they should have?

First off, I just have to start with Irina Slutskaya. I truly, truly think she should have placed 4th at every single Olympics. In 1998 she should have been the top ranking Russian, instead of Maria Buterskaya who got ridiculous markings of 5.8's and even a 5.9 for a very lacking performance. Then in 2002 Irina became the person who unfairly received 5.8's and 5.9's (there is absolutely no way you can argue a technical program with less than 7 triples and no 3-3 combination deserves a 5.9...plus she had a couple shaky landings too!). Her biased markings from the Eastern European judges not only cost Michelle Kwan the top medal (by putting Sarah Hughes in Gold position after her 4th place finish in the Short), but also knocked Sasha Cohen off from getting the Bronze Medal and forming an American sweep that actually was deserved! Lastly, at this year's Olympics, Fumie Suguri was blatantly underscored on the Program Components while Irina somehow managed high PCS for her least inspired performance of the season and received a Bronze medal that she looked like she would rather set on fire than be grateful for.

I'll continue later. That's all I can handle at the moment.

MK (Campbell's )2005. All I could ever handle. EP - 06 Olys - jesh, the thoughts. But alas that is all they are PTs. Just me.

Custom Title
    I don´t have any choice for the biggest judging error ever, but e.g. these have been errors, in my opinion:

Urmanov gold in 1997 Europeans - Zagorodniuk should have won
    B&S gold in 1999 Worlds - Shen & Zhao should have won
    Yagudin gold in 2002 Europeans - Abt should have won
    Kwan first place in 2002 OG short programme - Slutskaya was the rightful winner

Down With It
    I think I remember back in 05 (?) when MK had arguably the worst performance of her career. I think the judges did hold her up there. she should have been lower in the qualifying.

Also...I can't help but get this feeling that Irina should have won silver in 06 over Cohen. Yes, I saw the point justification and all that, but...I dunno, whatever. But one thing's for sure: that silver WAS surely a gift.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    But one thing's for sure: that silver WAS surely a gift.
    Given to her by her fellow competitors, who put down less than she did.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    Then in 2002 Irina became the person who unfairly received 5.8's and 5.9's (there is absolutely no way you can argue a technical program with less than 7 triples and no 3-3 combination deserves a 5.9...plus she had a couple shaky landings too!). Her biased markings from the Eastern European judges not only cost Michelle Kwan the top medal (by putting Sarah Hughes in Gold position after her 4th place finish in the Short), but also knocked Sasha Cohen off from getting the Bronze Medal and forming an American sweep that actually was deserved!
    Personnaly, I was not suprised by Irina's marks at the Olympics because she has always had high personal component marks, and I never really got why. But since it happens everytime, I was starting to accept it. So I was not suprised at all. The judges wouldn't have placed Slutskaya under Kwan or Cohen in the 2002free, because the two had falls and Slutskaya didn't. And under the 6.0 system, falls counted A LOT.

For me, the biggest joke was the ice dance competition in 2001 Worlds. The Italian's first place was a complete joke. I just can't believe that dance got those marks, where Anissina/ Peizerat's wonderful dance got second. I just can't find any reason. What was better? Their technique? Their speed? Their presentation?
    One of the biggest mysteries for me...I just felt sorry for A/P who didn't get their second World title. At least they came roaring back next season and well we all know what happened

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    Given to her by her fellow competitors, who put down less than she did.
    Yup. How true that is.

Custom Title
    IMO this thread is turning into who do you like/dislike more, and not so much about judging errors. An error means rules were not followed correctly (and that happens in every sport, except those measured with a stop watch). What I am reading here is just showing personal favorites not winning (or the nonfavorites winning).

Vash

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I don´t have any choice for the biggest judging error ever, but e.g. these have been errors, in my opinion:

B&S gold in 1999 Worlds - Shen & Zhao should have won
    S&Z's program had virtually no choreography. There is no way they could be awarded higher presentation marks than B&S, who, despite a fall, skated a very strong program with complex choreography and musical interpretation. If this was the SP, there would have been heavy deduction for the fall, but there were no mandatory deductions in the LP.

Vash

A thread also means your opinion.

Todd's bronze medal at 2001 Worlds. He was totally "on" in the entire competition, and should have won silver. I'm still angry with the judge who put him 7th (!) in the short program (which shocks me even more when I realize that 3 of the 8 required elements were spins). OK, I'll admit, that I don't really give a pin about quads when I look at entire programs. With all due respect to Alexei (please do not throw tomatoes at me), I cannot understand how he won the silver medal in this competition, as he was really off in his free skate (I do not begrudge Alexei's OGM in SLC a year later - he was amazing there & totally deserved it).

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    What performances in the past do you think were underrated/overrated, resulting in the skater either not getting the medal they deserved or doing better than they should have?

First off, I just have to start with Irina Slutskaya. I truly, truly think she should have placed 4th at every single Olympics. In 1998 she should have been the top ranking Russian, instead of Maria Buterskaya who got ridiculous markings of 5.8's and even a 5.9 for a very lacking performance. Then in 2002 Irina became the person who unfairly received 5.8's and 5.9's (there is absolutely no way you can argue a technical program with less than 7 triples and no 3-3 combination deserves a 5.9...plus she had a couple shaky landings too!). Her biased markings from the Eastern European judges not only cost Michelle Kwan the top medal (by putting Sarah Hughes in Gold position after her 4th place finish in the Short), but also knocked Sasha Cohen off from getting the Bronze Medal and forming an American sweep that actually was deserved! Lastly, at this year's Olympics, Fumie Suguri was blatantly underscored on the Program Components while Irina somehow managed high PCS for her least inspired performance of the season and received a Bronze medal that she looked like she would rather set on fire than be grateful for.

I'll continue later. That's all I can handle at the moment.

Ira 4th?????? Personaly I think that she should be 1st in Salt Lake and 2nd in Torino

Hmm...There are many many many mistakes...

I'd say one of the biggest is that there were two pairs golds in SLC 2002. That should NEVER happen...

Now, what I remembered in recent past, is that they gave Sasha bronze and Sokolova deserved it better on Worlds 2006. I remember what commentetors said (on British Eurosport):

"Sokolove third. I think that wasn't ok. ISU, we like the new judging system, we like the marks, but take a tape and look back- that wasn't fair."

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I think I remember back in 05 (?) when MK had arguably the worst performance of her career. I think the judges did hold her up there. she should have been lower in the qualifying.
    My gawd! All the way back last year. tough to remember that far back.

Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    MK (Campbell's) 2005.
    Michelle did not compete in the 2005 Campbell's. She withdrew due to injury. (But if you mean the Marshall's phone-in thing, yeah, the TV audience proved itself to be the worst of all possible judging panels. Plus, they should have put Matt Savoie ahead of both Weiss and Weir. )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu

MK (Campbell's )2005. All I could ever handle. EP - 06 Olys - jesh, the thoughts. But alas that is all they are PTs. Just me.
    Are you referring to Bolero in the Cheesefest? I rather liked that performance! her only mistake was a double 3toe. I found she gave an uplifting, pleasant performance that was so much better than her Worlds showings. Sasha, who was 2nd (and IMO, robbed Jenny Kirk-she skated very well), with several wonky and two-ft landings, did not skate well enough to overtake Michelle.

Other competitions, that to me were wrong:

Worlds 2003-I truly feel Tim should've won.

Sarah/Sasha 2003 Nationals-I felt AP was robbed of Silver and should have been on the Worlds Team that year.

Sasha SA 2003-Jenny should've won the LP.

VV CofRussia 2002-Sasha skated pretty clean back to back performances, still couldn't win.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast