Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Judging errors in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I think I remember back in 05 (?) when MK had arguably the worst performance of her career. I think the judges did hold her up there. She should have been lower in the qualifying.
    Well, they didn't hold her up too much. She scored 99.96 points, which put her 5th in her qualifying group and 7th overall going into the short. She was so far behind that she didn't even make the last flight in the short, and was not able to medal even after getting third in both the short and the long.

(BTW, the beauty of the CoP is that we can't just shout "wuzrobbed" any more. If you think 99.96 points was too high, which elements or component scores did you feel were out of line?)

Also...I can't help but get this feeling that Irina should have won silver in 06...
    I love Irina to pieces, and her 2005 World Championship performance was one of the all-time highlights of the sport.

But IMHO her 2006 Olympic LP was simply abysmal. Who kidnapped my Irina and put this sleepwalking robot in her place?

MM

Banned
    In the arms of my beloved Richard Kruspe.
    Tara Lipinski - 98' Olympics
    Sarah Hughes - 98' Olympics
    Navka&Kostomarov - 06' Olympics
    Evgeni Plushenko - 06' Olympics

'nuff said

That Runway episode. The guy who made a skating outfit that looked like a turkey in mating season was not voted off the show!

How in heaven's name could a tragedy like that be allowed to happen?

Banned
    94 Olympics Urmanov vs Stojko-Urmanov had a very good performance, but it was not the championship performance of the evening cleary for me. That was Stojko's. Urmanov had 7 clean triples, and 2 triple axels, but no triple-triples.
    Stojko had 7 triples, 2 triple axels as well, and a triple axel-triple toe. Stojko's spins were far better. His footwork was a bit more intricate. He was clearly faster and had the better ice coverage. They had different style, they were similarly good in musical interpretation, and choreographic quality I felt. Urmanov has the better line and extension, but Stojko skated with more command and conviction of the two that night. Stojko should have been the Olympic Champion, and Urmanov the Olympic silver medalist.

98 Olympics dance event-There was clearly a block of 5 judges-Poland, Russia, Itally, Czech Republic, and the Ukraine which dictated the results. Bourne and Kraatz were robbed of atleast a bronze medal by this beyond any doubt. Punsalen/Swallow of the U.S were robbed of a higher finish then 7th. Anissina
    /Peizerat were pushed onto the podium by this, Lobacheva/Averbuhk were pushed into the top 5, Fusar-Poli/Margalio were pushed up to 6th over a team like Punsalen/Swallow setting them up nicely for the next quadrennial, the Ukranians and Czechs were bumped up in the final placings. A truly shameful exhibition of pre-orchestrated resuls.

2002 Olympics pairs event-Do I really need to say anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    (BTW, the beauty of the CoP is that we can't just shout "wuzrobbed" any more. If you think 99.96 points was too high, which elements or component scores did you feel were out of line?)MM
    Some posters don't understand that and in this case I doubt the poster is able to see the difference between 6 triple jump passes from splats.

It's easy to tear apart an injured skater.

Joe

Custom Title
    Slutskaya winning the 2001-2002 GPF FS with just 4 triples, while Kwan landed 6 and Hughes, 7. She got outrageously high technical and presentation scores for what had to be the sloppiest performance of her life. Four Eastern-bloc judges put Slute in 1st, while the other three judges had her 3rd. Slute should have been 3rd in this farce, which would have make Kwan the GPF champion.

Judges: GER BUL JPN UKR RUS USA CAN

5.7 5.8 5.6 5.8 5.8 5.6 5.6 1-Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 1.0
    5.9 5.9 5.8 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.7
    1 1 3 1 1 3 3

5.7 5.7 5.8 5.7 5.6 5.7 5.6 2-Michelle KWAN USA 2.0
    5.8 5.9 5.8 5.9 5.7 5.9 5.9
    2 2 1 2 2 1 1

5.8 5.6 5.7 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.7 3-Sarah HUGHES USA 3.0
    5.7 5.8 5.8 5.7 5.6 5.7 5.7
    3 3 2 3 3 2 2

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    Are you referring to Bolero in the Cheesefest?
    Yah, that wasn't a Campbell's event? I guess I got Marshall's confused. I also remember a 5 second plus miss on the end of the song. Didn't the Judges give her the 6s (funny to mention that today)? I thought the score came in immediately following thee routine, hum...there goes "ThinkiBu "again. Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

But IMHO her 2006 Olympic LP was simply abysmal. Who kidnapped my Irina and put this sleepwalking robot in her place?

MM
    I would have to agree. Do you know if she still takes the steroids? I thought, from experience with my Mom, that you shouldn't stay on them for more then a year.??

Custom Title
    Irina tapers off the steroids in the off-season, but has to go back on strong dosage when her symptoms start to return. This happened in the 2004-2005 season, after the GPF, and again just before the GPF this past season. She has to be on steroids when competing because traveling and the stress of competition exacerbate her underlying illness.

Banned
    Lu Chen was one of the most underrated skaters before her win in 1995. In pretty much EVERY major competition before 1995 she had more Triple jumps and, imo, a better presentation than many of the people who placed higher than her:

1991 Worlds - Her short program really wasn't great so it's fine that she didn't medal here...but wow, a wonderful long program. The only lady to do 7 Triples at the competition. She should have placed 4th overall (instead of 12th!!!!! What robbery).

1992 Olympics - She was screwed in the beginning by being ranked SO low for a good short program. But then in the long she does 6 Triples and has a clean, lovely skate but still gets lower marks than Nancy Kerrigan's 4 Triple program.

1992 Worlds - Nancy Kerrigan somehow places above her again. This was the worst Worlds EVER for the ladies and nobody besides Kristi Yamaguchi did very well but, even still, Nancy Kerrigan had a jumbled skate while Lu Chen remained poised despite her mistakes.

1993 Worlds - She should have won. Her "Nausicaä" program is sublime and she outjumped Baiul.

1994 Olympics - I just sorta laugh everytime I remember that Baiul won this. Her high technical markings are ludicrous. Has she EVER done a jump combination that included a Triple? I surely can't remember a time. Plus she only does 5 Triples (the Flip is two-footed) and the hard ones are all frontloaded right at the beginning of the program. Anywho...Lu Chen had the freeskate of the night (more Triples than anyone else and for me the most complete presentation) so it's too bad about the mistake in her short program (She always had a way of being a bit nervous in the Short but then coming back and being AMAZING in the long, except for 1996 when she was perfect in both). Kerrigan - GOLD, Lu Chen - SILVER, Baiul - BRONZE.

Even after her win in 1995 when people suddenly realized how good she was, I can't help but think she was still a bit underrated. 1996 was the most magnificent battle ever with Lu Chen and Kwan. If a ever a tie for Gold was in order, it should have been here. It's hard to pick and it's hard to take that moment away from Kwan...but I really do think that Lu Chen probably should have won if you get very, very specific about their performances (which you have to, since they both gave the performance of their lives). In 1998 at the Olympics her markings were a bit low as well, but thankfully she got her medal!

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    Are you referring to Bolero in the Cheesefest? I rather liked that performance! her only mistake was a double 3toe. I found she gave an uplifting, pleasant performance that was so much better than her Worlds showings. Sasha, who was 2nd (and IMO, robbed Jenny Kirk-she skated very well), with several wonky and two-ft landings, did not skate well enough to overtake Michelle.
    IIRC Michelle did Bolero in three different cheesefests. Two of them were quite nice, and the third was just OK.

In the October 2004 Campbell's she gave her best performance of that ill-fated program. It was, in fact, outstanding except for a fall on the footwork at the very end. (She reportedly was working hard to upgrade the CoP level of her footwork sequence, and she put in one turn too many.) Arakawa was second, followed by Cohen, Ando and Meissner.

The event MKFSfan is talking about is the 2005 spring Marshall's. This was also quite a nice performance, clearly better than Cohen, Kirk and Meissner (2nd, 3rd and 4th). Kwan fans rejoiced, because it looked like Michele had put her 2005 Worlds experience behind her (the first time in a decade that she had finished off the world podium) and was ready to head into the Olympic season with all torpedos go.

In between was the December 2004 Marshall's thing (I was there ) Michelle did not skate particularly well, finishing second behind Slutskaya, with Cohen and Kirk 3rd and 4th. She had changed the choreography -- many observers felt not for the better -- and she seemed a little slow and not quite "on."

All three of these events were free of judging controversy, as I recall and in my humble opinion.

The next season (2005-06) Michelle missed the October Campbell's (Cohen won, followed by Meissner and Arakawa), the December Marshall's was the voters choice thing, and the spring Marshalls was an exhibition only.

I love cheese! I hope they find a way to keep these competitions going with the new generation of skaters.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-06-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Banned
    I never thought Lu Chen was victimized by a major controversy but I also would have had her higher on multiple occasions:

92 Worlds-definitely over Kerrigan. Kerrigan won her silver with her performances at this event on name alone.

93 Worlds-I actually think she had a better "all around" performance, combining both technical excellent and overall artistry, than either Biaul or Bonaly in the long program.

94 Olympics-I actually think you could argue her performance was better than both Biaul and Kerrigan's although she is ommited from any "who should have won talks". She had 6 triples, Kerrigan had 5, Biaul only 3 clean(5 stood up with 2 two-footed triples). Kerrigan was the only one of the 3 to do a triple-triple, the triple toe-triple toe, Chen though was the only one to do 2 triple lutzes. Her spins were better then Kerrigans I felt, and she had more intricate footwork then Biaul. Choreographicaly her program was quite complex and detailed very well, and I thought she was competitive with both on the second mark as well.

96 Worlds-Although both Kwan and Chen were incredable I felt Chen was still the winner on the 2nd mark.

98 Olympics-I know she did win the bronze, but I just wanted to say I have no idea how Butyrskaya was 1 vote from taking the bronze with her with her tenative, tight, and only 3-clean triple performance? Coming to the Olympics as the European Champion probably helped, it shows Lu really had to far outskate the others to win a medal, since her status was far down from 95-96. In the end she got the placing she deserved though so not too bad.
    Last edited by slutskayafan21; 06-06-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Banned
    Lol, OMG, we agree on something. Like, everything you just wrote.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    Lol, OMG, we agree on something. Like, everything you just wrote.
    Miracles do happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    94 Olympics Urmanov vs Stojko-Urmanov had a very good performance, but it was not the championship performance of the evening cleary for me. That was Stojko's.
    For you, but for some people (e.g., the guy sitting next to me in the arena in Hamar, and the Romanian judge) it was Petrenko's. Sometimes when I go back to watch on tape I have to agree with that opinion.

Not that it would have given him another gold medal after the bad SP.

Browning's performance also had to be considered in that evening's mix as well.

Urmanov had 7 clean triples, and 2 triple axels, but no triple-triples.
    Stojko had 7 triples, 2 triple axels as well, and a triple axel-triple toe. Stojko's spins were far better. His footwork was a bit more intricate.
    All true. Although Urmanov did have a jump sequence with two triples at the very end, which counts for something, and the jumping passes you don't mention were a triple flip landed ugly but on one foot for Urmanov, versus a popped single axel for Stojko.

He was clearly faster and had the better ice coverage.
    Not true. Where did you get that impression? Even Tracy Wilson (in her "Skate" TV show a y ear later), who thought Stojko deserved to win, conceded the speed and ice coverage to Urmanov.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast