Mira Leung or BinShu Xu? | Golden Skate

Mira Leung or BinShu Xu?

warrior

Match Penalty
Mira Leung and BinShu Xu are 'second tier' up-and-comers. I'm wondering whether anybody has paid any attention to them. Who do u think is a better skater and has a brighter future?

I will pick 'Binshu Xu' especially after watching her latest performance at Chinese Master's.

Any thoughts?

Kasey

Medalist
I have not seen Binshu Xu. I have seen Mira Leung both in video and live, and was not very impressed. Hard to say who has a better future.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mira Leung has more determination then talent. I am not sure how far that will take her. I could see her willing her way to the top 10 someday but I dont see her ever being a real medal contender personally, nor do I see her winning a Canadian title until Rochette retires, maybe after 2010.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Come on folks, are you not being a wee bit hard on Mira? Give the girl a chance!! I think she will hit her stride in the next few years. She is determined as someone said and she is a hard worker. I think she does have talent and just needs someone - like Kurt Browning to help her develop her artistic side. Did you know she is also plays the piano? She is a very talented young lady. I am looking forward to seeing her again.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think if Leung had a strong coach who helped her rework the lesser aspects of her technique, and her confidence wasn't shaken by regression as she unlearns bad habits, she could be a contender for the podium in Vancouver. There's no time like now, with the Olympics four seasons away.

At the moment, I think that she can win and do well if other skaters skate flawed performances, but basing a career on other people's errors is not a great strategy.

Binshu Xu seems to have grown up a lot just since last year. She was so tiny that she always seemed like a youngster full of potential.

But now, turning 18 this month, it is apparent that she is still a long way from making a mark as a senior skater. In the recent Master's event in China she won the short program with a nice skate, but finished second in the long and overall to Yan Liu. Her scores (old judging system) were around 5.1, 5.2, and the hardest element she did was triple toe/double toe.

MM :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I had heard (not confirmed) that Binshu Xu was injured before 2006 Junior Worlds (she withdrew), so perhaps she intentionally was not trying the harder triples at the Masters comp. in China last weekend? She did land a triple flip in the SP and I thought she skated with improved maturity in that particular performance.

I have been following Xu's progress with interest ever since I first saw her compete in person at the Montreal JGP in the fall of 2002 (she was really tiny then!) and most recently at 2005 Jr. Worlds in Canada, where she landed all the triples through lutz in various phases of the competition, as well as 3toe-3toe in practices. She's also a good spinner. It will be interesting to see if she returns to the JGP this fall or finally makes her senior international debut (she is eligible as a JGP Final medalist to be invited to a Senior GP event).

I don't like to compare skaters directly, so I'll just say that I admire Mira Leung's mental strength in competition and I hope she continues to improve all aspects of her skating in the years ahead.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Mira Leung. At least she's starting to have very intersting programs

Binshu Xu at this point is kind of blah.

jesslily

Final Flight
Bin Shu has better jumping technique and edges. As for atistry, I think they are about the same level, except Mira lives in the west and has better chance to expose to new dress style and choreography.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless Mira gets a new coach who can get her to undo her bizarre jump technique, Binshu Xu will leave Mira in her dust. It will be very, very difficult for Mira to rise into the top 10 unless she fixes that bend-over-look-up approach to jumping which will anchor her PCS scores at a low level.

warrior

Match Penalty
Binshu Xu

In the China's Master's competition, Xu's jumps were very consistent. She is also an excellent spinner. Some of her new elements in the spirals are also quite interesting.

Xu could do triple-triple combo in the long program.

I used to like Mira a lot, but after watch Xu's program, I would definitely rank her ahead of Mira.

If Xu could deliver a flawless program next reason, she can definitely rank in the top ten at worlds.