Oh My Achin' Back | Golden Skate

Oh My Achin' Back

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have been staying away from the keyboards this week due to a horrendous sciatica attack. I ended up taking a week off work and may have to consider changing my position when I go back to work. I don't think I can do heavy lifting anymore. I am going to start physio on Friday. It helped me before so hope it does the trick again. This has been a real miserable bout.

:sheesh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This may sound wierd, but a lady at my old job had her desk rased so she could stand all the time she was at her computer. As far as I know the 2+ years, it worked. After I saw that I would acutely kneel at mine. I would just pull my elastic lumbar suport off the chair and kneel like I was at comunion.:laugh: People laughed the first time they saw it, but I caught a few of them doing it too. Another guy had a exercise ball as his chair. Both were recommended by their Dr. /Chiropractor. The Lady had a mat like the ones I had when I was a chef - pink rubber with round holes, you may have seen them.

Not that any of these will work for you, just thought about it when I read your thread.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Having lived with sciatica for over 50 years, maybe I can give a little info.
Sitting is the worst thing you can do. Lay on your side with a pillow between your knees. If you are on your back, be sure you bend your knees. Put a small pillow under them. DON'T bend over. DON'T lift. P T should help quite a bit. They don't seem to use traction as much any more. What I do now is to put on my tens unit. I've gone through several. They really have helped me a lot. Lots of people can't stand them but they helped me a LOT. They had me put on hot packs and ice packs. You use one for 20 minutes and then after an hour you use the other. Mainly, give it a lot of rest. Lots of times they give you injections of cortisone. They never helped me. I've had lots of them and the ones in my knee worked and the only one on my back that ever worked was last week I got one higher up for a bone spur. It finally started working today. :love:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'll have to tell you what I did to my Chiropractor. When they called me to the back, I got up and said "Oh, is it time for the torture chamber?" Well, I thought it was funny but boy he nor his wife did. (I still think it's funny) They just stood there in horror.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I'll have to tell you what I did to my Chiropractor. When they called me to the back, I got up and said "Oh, is it time for the torture chamber?" Well, I thought it was funny but boy he nor his wife did. (I still think it's funny) They just stood there in horror.

I forgot to add sciatica to the list I gave you about my Mom. And she Loves Her Chiropractor. He is wonderful, she comes out of there in the best mood! And she can walk pritty good then too.:)

That pillow between the knees has been helping her for about 8 years now, I recommend that to anyone - I do it too.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
Having lived with sciatica for over 50 years, maybe I can give a little info.
Sitting is the worst thing you can do. Lay on your side with a pillow between your knees. If you are on your back, be sure you bend your knees. Put a small pillow under them. DON'T bend over. DON'T lift. P T should help quite a bit. They don't seem to use traction as much any more. What I do now is to put on my tens unit. I've gone through several. They really have helped me a lot. Lots of people can't stand them but they helped me a LOT. They had me put on hot packs and ice packs. You use one for 20 minutes and then after an hour you use the other. Mainly, give it a lot of rest. Lots of times they give you injections of cortisone. They never helped me. I've had lots of them and the ones in my knee worked and the only one on my back that ever worked was last week I got one higher up for a bone spur. It finally started working today. :love:

Yes, Grgranny I have been doing all the things you listed. Sitting is the worst of all so I have been limiting my time at the computer at home. At work I stand at my computer. The lifting thing will be a problem when I return to work as this is the main focus of my job. I may have to consider a leave of absence until it heals. I will see what the Dr. has to say.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I didn't know if I could explain it right but will now try. To relieve the pressure, stand up, put your hands behind you, palms on fanny, and bend backwards -hold for ten seconds. You can also do this laying on your stomach. That's the way they started me and with hands on the floor for raising the upper body, do the same thing. You are going to have to be careful the rest of your life. Worst thing you can do is lift something bending over. Get down on your knee, etc. to lift. Best is to not lift at all. Right now you should get one of those prong things to pick up things off the floor. Of course, if your hubby is around all the time, he will work too. :rofl: I did end up having a disk removed. It was great for three years. I'm still not sorry I had it done, it hardly bothers me but once in a while it flares up. If I have trouble getting up off the floor, I just crawl over to the steps and climb myself up. :rofl:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I didn't know if I could explain it right but will now try. To relieve the pressure, stand up, put your hands behind you, palms on fanny, and bend backwards -hold for ten seconds. You can also do this laying on your stomach. That's the way they started me and with hands on the floor for raising the upper body, do the same thing. You are going to have to be careful the rest of your life. Worst thing you can do is lift something bending over. Get down on your knee, etc. to lift. Best is to not lift at all. Right now you should get one of those prong things to pick up things off the floor. Of course, if your hubby is around all the time, he will work too. :rofl: I did end up having a disk removed. It was great for three years. I'm still not sorry I had it done, it hardly bothers me but once in a while it flares up. If I have trouble getting up off the floor, I just crawl over to the steps and climb myself up. :rofl:

Wow sounds like you know exactly how I am feeling at this moment!! The prognosis from the dr. was not good. I have a compressed disk. The space is narrowing. I am on sick leave at the moment and will probably not be able to return to my receiving position at the college. I will have to return to lighter duties. At the moment, the dr.has suggested rest and water walking and swimming, but not surgery. I am trying physio. I went for my first treatment last night. This morning I felt horrible. I could hardly get out of bed.

I have a cane and am using it to pick things up off the floor! It seems like I drop things more now that I can't bend down to pick anything up.

Thanks for the help. It's great to know I am not alone.