My Electric Company Rant | Golden Skate

My Electric Company Rant

megsk8z

On the Ice
I am so mad and you guys are always so sympathetic and have such good advice I thought I'd stop in and ask "What Would You Do?" Please bear with me while I try to give a little history of my ongoing feud with the electric company and just why I am being such a snitty little crab. My Charming Spouse thinks I'm nuts.

In early 1981 we lived in a teeny apartment and we were very young and money was tight. Our electric bill was $11.80 and I called on Tuesday. I called the electric company, Commonwealth Edison and asked if I could please have a 2 day extension. The person on the other end of the phone was really nasty to me and said that I was a deadbeat. Over $11.80? I borrowed it from my Gram. It was humiliating.

So I swore right there and then on that day in 1981 that ComEd would get their money at the last possible day of the last possible moment. And, yes, I can hold a grudge since I still wait for the red letter to come these many years later. Then on the last day I take it over to the hardware store where I can get instant confirmation of payment and everyone is happy.

ComEd aka Excelon has been calling me for the last 2 days because I have a red notice due on the 9th. Which is tomorow! I know this is why they are calling and since it's my phone I may choose to answer it or not. When I checked messages on my voice mail, a ComEd employee left me a charming 2 word voicemail, "Dumb Moth********." Is this any way for any utility to behave? I realize I am being childish (my husband tells me so all the time) by waiting until the last moment, but if they would apologize for calling me a deadbeat and a (those words I said previously). And they should return my "security deposit" they took when they mistakenly shut off my electricity after I'd paid. Yes, I am aware that part of me is being a whiner. But I still don't think they should behave as they do. I never call them on the phone and rant to them, so why on earth would I wait around for a person to come on the line during an automated call?

Help me! Please!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
FTC. Figure out how to hook a recording device up to your phone. The hard thing is that they have to call you for the recording to be submissable. Do you have the recording of their nasty message. And tell your husband he is lucky to marry a "fighter." Go lady go!!!

Last edited:

megsk8z

On the Ice
Yes, I have the recording and the phone number from which they called. Perhaps the FTC is the way to go. My feelings are still hurt; being called a deadbeat is one thing (still not acceptable corporate etiquette) but being called a dumb moth******** is another.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
You have a recording? Go get 'em. And best of luck! You're absolutely right, calling customers deadbeats and worse is completely unacceptable. I'd see if I could make some copies of that recording and send it, with an account of the incident(s), to the CEO of the company and let HIM know you're copying the FTC, or whichever regulatory agency oversees that industry.
Or you could go solar. That'll screw 'em. ;)
And I don't think it's whining to insist upon being treated as a human being. I no longer donate blood to a particular bank in Marin, where I work, because one day I felt a couple people on the staff were less than polite to me. And I let their supervisors know why I'm only donating in Sonoma County now.
xoxo
Rave

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meg, I give you a lot of credit for fighting back. Lots of people don't. I am arguing with a deli company for charging tax on their delivery fees. I argue about everything if I feel its wrong. It makes me feel better. I just can't believe that an employee would call you names. If you have the recording and your other facts straight I would go to the press with it or at least tell them you are.

untitled.bmp

Good Luck!!

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Dee, is there a way to get the emoticons like the ones you use?

I never did anything but our Pizza hut charges tax for our delivery charge. I told the kid about it and nothing was ever done. I know from being in business myself that it is illegal.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
Dee, is there a way to get the emoticons like the ones you use?

I would like to know this as well, the only way I know of will not post anything that small in hight - is has to be bigger just to load on the host.

Grgranny said:
I never did anything but our Pizza hut charges tax for our delivery charge. I told the kid about it and nothing was ever done. I know from being in business myself that it is illegal.

As far as I know that is illegel. They can state a delivery fee PRIOR to ordering, but a Tax is a different thing. The problem is they will just reword it and still charge. Tax would imply that is money they have to pay to the "government" and not going in their pocket. Again an issue for the FTC. Now if the City Government charges the "institution" you are retaining the service of delivery from - and for spicificly delivery (maybe for the traffic they cause?:laugh: ) then they are allowed charge for that, but it should be added into the cost of, from the "institution providing service."

Sadly enough I learned this from my smoking days and in Colorado the tax is paid prior to purchase, a store was charging sales tax on packs and cartons, turned them in and 4 months later they were out of business.

heyang

Record Breaker
I would send a copy of the message to the CEO and the Customer Service manager.

There's no reason for someone to swear at you when they are reminding you to pay your bill. It's not as though you were long overdue and owed them for multiple months.

Save the message. If they continue this behavior, you might be able to press harassment charges(?)

megsk8z

On the Ice
Thank you all so much! You have given me some good ideas. Also in my state we have a Citizens Utility Board and they always have it out for the electric company so I sent them a nice email today, too.
I hate to fight, but I figure if they'll treat me, a middle-aged woman like this, what on earth can they be saying to some of the younger people?
Next stop: FTC!

Thanks again. I knew you guys would come through. You're the best.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
megsk8z said:
I hate to fight, but I figure if they'll treat me, a middle-aged woman like this, what on earth can they be saying to some of the younger people?
Next stop: FTC!
I know some people hate to confront but even if you lose you still have the knowledge knowing you raised a few blood pressures. :biggrin: :biggrin:

what on earth can they be saying to some of the younger people?
The reason I fight is for the older people who can be intimidated easily. For example, many of our senior citizens have poor eyesight and can be ripped off without even knowing it. I find this a lot in the grocery store. I can't tell you how many times I've caught $1-3 differences in some items. The cause could be the register wasn't updated with the sale price. I watched as my groceries are being checked out and I have no problem of having them correct the cost.

Meg, remember you're not only fighting for yourself but for others too.

Dee

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
seanibu said:
I would like to know this as well, the only way I know of will not post anything that small in hight - is has to be bigger just to load on the host.
Grgranny & Sean, I have some personal webspace and I upload the picture or emotican to it. You can find free clipart and emoticans on the internet.

Dee

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tax on delivery fees? We get taxed to death here in BC on everything. We even pay hidden taxes on our gas. We have to pay PST (Provincial Sales Tax) and GST on just about everything. Alberta gets a break - they don't pay PST.

Good luck in your fight with the tax man. In BC it is a losing battle.

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Meg:

Call your better business bureau and report them.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Gst

Just a correction Ladskater - GST is not Government Sales Tax, it is actually the Goods and Services Tax... which leads me to my next point.

In regards to those of you complaining about tax on delivery charges, we here in Canada pay 7% tax on delivery charges because delivery is considered a service and thus the Goods and Services tax applies, so if your state has a similar type tax, it is likely that the charges are legitimate.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
Now if the City Government charges the "institution" you are retaining the service of delivery from - and for spicificly delivery (maybe for the traffic they cause?:laugh: ) then they are allowed charge for that, but it should be added into the cost of, from the "institution providing service."
I know and made this information available.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck said:
Just a correction Ladskater - GST is not Government Sales Tax, it is actually the Goods and Services Tax... which leads me to my next point.

In regards to those of you complaining about tax on delivery charges, we here in Canada pay 7% tax on delivery charges because delivery is considered a service and thus the Goods and Services tax applies, so if your state has a similar type tax, it is likely that the charges are legitimate.

Yes, it is A Goods and Services tax, but it is imposed by the Federal Government so theoretically it is a government tax - it used to be called the MST (Manufacturer's tax). In 1987 it was changed to now infamous GST (Goods and Services Tax). It is still a government tax.

In BC we pay both the GST and PST tax - which makes BC probably the most expensive Province in Canada to live.

There's my rant.

Here is more on the GST act:
http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/bp377-e.htm

Last edited:

megsk8z

On the Ice
You Are Not Going To Believe This!

I received a lovely email from a woman at the Citizens Utility Board. She apologized (even though she doesn't work for ComEd) and agreed that I had been treated terribly. They have agreed to issue me a written apology *and* refund my security deposit that I felt was unjustified.

I just might pay my electric bill on time after this.

Thanks, everyone for listening to me rant. And I am doing a little dance in my head as I write this. My karma must be good today.