Cohen joins Kwan on Top 10 Female Athletes List | Golden Skate

Cohen joins Kwan on Top 10 Female Athletes List

It's an annual Harris poll. No male skaters made the Top 10. That Olympic glow!

TABLE 3 FAVORITE FEMALE SPORTS STAR - TOP-10 RANKING "Thinking about the female sports stars you like, which ones are your favorites?" Base: All adults 2004 2005 2006

Venus Williams 1 3 1
Serena Williams 2 2 2
Mia Hamm 3 1 3
Michelle Wie 8 10 4
Danica Patrick * * 5
Michelle Kwan 4 4 6
nnika Sorenstam 5 6 7
Maria Sharapova * * 8 Anna Kournikova 6 5 9
Sasha Cohen * * 10

* Not listed in that year

Those who are new to Top 10 This Year
Danica Patrick (No. 5), Maria Sharapova (No. 8), Sasha Cohen (No. 10)

Those on the 2005 List Who Have Dropped Out of the Top Ten This Year
Lisa Leslie (was No. 7), Billie Jean King (was = No. 8), Martina Navratilova (was = No 8), Chris Evert (was No. 9), Mary Lou Retton (was = No. 9)

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/233457.htm

Vash01

Medalist
Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, and Anna Kournikova don't have any big wins to their credit (although Kournikova has won some championships in smaller tournaments), and yet they are placed in the top 10. I am sure there are better athletes than these three- for example, those who won grand slam tennis tournaments (besides those already on this list). That is not to say they will not win in the future, but right now they don't have any major wins. Danica did place rather high overall in her rookie year. JMO though.

Vash

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This Can't be in order is it. Or is this just USA. There is no way more people know Michelle world wide than Danica.:scratch:

It seems more about the likeability factor... or maybe just hormones.

Forgot to say: Go, Venus!!!!!

(Interesting that women prefer her, while men prefer Serena.)

Tennis players rule! Venus, Serena, Sharapova, Kournikova, Billy Jean King, Martina Navrotalova :rock: :love: , Chris Evert.

But good for figure skating to have two in the top ten, even at a time when the popularity of the sport seems to be flagging.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the figure skaters are there (or at least Cohen maybe) because of the Olympic year...let's see if they stay there next year.

Red Dog said:
I think the figure skaters are there (or at least Cohen maybe) because of the Olympic year...let's see if they stay there next year.
Kwan't there every year whether or not she skates competitions.

Joe

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

Kwan has been on the list many times. This year she dropped from
4th to 6th. As far as Sasha is concerned she is a well known and likeable
athlete and I think she will make the list next year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd figure MK would have placed in the poll before (she may be the only one who doesn't have to rely on the Olympics for popularity) but I really think Cohen is there due to the Oly exposure. But let's see and find out next year.

MKFSfan

Medalist
kittyjake5 said:
Kwan has been on the list many times. This year she dropped from
4th to 6th. As far as Sasha is concerned she is a well known and likeable
athlete and I think she will make the list next year.

Michelle dropped 2 places because she hasn't competed this year and has not been seen as much. Sasha did compete, did well and has been going to all sort of premiers, so she's a name this year. I bet if she does not compete next year, she won't make the list. As long as Michelle is a figure skater, she probably will get votes!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Looked a little more into the Harris poll procedures and have a better understanding of how they get their numbers. IMO, not a "great" poll but good - still glad to see two FSers in there.:clap: