What kind of music do you want for skaters next year? | Golden Skate

What kind of music do you want for skaters next year?

CDMM1991

Medalist
Another 'it's the off season' thread.

So, next year many skaters will undoubtedly be getting new programs and choreography and once again trying to reinvent themselves for the judges and the CoP points. What do you want to see from certain skaters?

I'd like to see Yu-Na skate to something more dramatic and dynamic than her past long program. Her short program last season was fantastic, to Moulin Rouge I believe?

I would love to see Joannie Rochette skate to something that's a stark contrast from last year's program, to make sure that the judges know they're judging a different program, and therefore different skating. Something more to the tune of what Firebird did for her.

Just a couple examples from my book. What do you want to see from Mao, Kimmie, Elene, et al?

pollyls

Rinkside
CDMM1991 said:
Another 'it's the off season' thread.

So, next year many skaters will undoubtedly be getting new programs and choreography and once again trying to reinvent themselves for the judges and the CoP points. What do you want to see from certain skaters?

I would love it if Tanith and Ben did an exhibition program to "Lovecats" by the Cure. :rock:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
pollyls said:
I would love it if Tanith and Ben did an exhibition program to "Lovecats" by the Cure. :rock:
:clap: :clap: :rock: Yes!!!! What a great idea, I hope they will use something like that in their Exhibition. Pretty darn hard, but I love it!

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
I would love to see Susanna Poykio skated to "Telepathy" by Emiliana Torrini for an exhibition.

gio

Medalist
These are some of my wishes for LP,SP and exibitions

-Michelle Kwan = A Time for Us (Rota's Romeo and Juliet)
-something Latin for Belbin/Agosto, Sasha Cohen and Evan Lysacek. I would like to see them skating on this songs = Oye Como Va, Camino Verde, Flor de Luna or Puerto Rico.
-Yu Na Kim = a compilation of tangos for her LP (Libertango, Adios Nonino...).
-something REALLY Balkan for Idora Hegel and Roxana Luca.
-Ederlezi (Bregovic) for Denkova/Stavinski.
-some Japanese or Chinese music for Miki Ando.
-Fever for Joannie Rochette and/or Jeff Buttle.

Last edited:

Spirit

On the Ice
Accordion. Lots and lots of accordion. With some pipe organ thrown in.

All set to a racy Latin beat.

blackrose050

Rinkside
gio said:
-Yu Na Kim = a compilation of tangos for her LP (Libertango, Adios Nonino...).

I like that idea for Yu-Na. :agree:

I think that Mao Asada should skate to something very light and fun.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
In the realistic sense, I like the use of Jesse Cook - he also has music in a couple of Anime series - and that could happen more. Maybe some Al Di Meola and as much as I might like to hear Steve Vie cranking out Blue Powder, I don't think it will happen. Some of Eyna and something by John Coltrane or even The Duke, Ellington that is.:cool:

We talked about this before and I liked MM's idea that there isn't any winds pieces - as in a piece where the winds instruments are present the entire time or based. That might bring a little more flare, at least a new taste.

A muzak version of Love Cats by the Cure would really be nice, I could see that working. And I don't know if it has, but to my recolection Tchaikovsky's Marche Slav - that song always get me fired up!

One thing that I am learning is that Monophonic music is really essential, how ever much of a bummer that is. Something that suits well when piped in one channel. The sound systems will most likely never change and the fact the skater would have to be hearing all the music at any given time. It would be really cool if they skated around the rink as the music kinda followed them but that could become disastrous if there was a "variation" in where they were on the other side of the ice and not hear.

Now if someone will explain to me why - not just that it is - there is no Lyrics / Vocal aloud without a 1.0 deduction (like that could have effected Pushinko's scores anyway) - It is not computing in my wee little brain that if they can in the exhibition (capable of skating to) then what difference does it really make to the performance? Would the Judges be flipping out to Paint It Black if Mick acutely sung in the song. And could it have changed Fumie's abilities. Cielin on My Heat will Go On? Big dif, I still don't like the song all that much with either approach. Maybe - I just don't understand. I maybe wrong, but I can't find an answer than, "they might get carried away or be offencive to a culture".:p That is their fault for picking the "wrong" song. Isn't it subject to review?

Sorry about the rant, it has been on my mind and I do get asked. Rules for no good reason kinda give a bad impression.

Last edited:
SeaniBu said:
Now if someone will explain to me why - not just that it is - there is no Lyrics / Vocal aloud without a 1.0 deduction...Rules for no good reason kinda give a bad impression.
I hope someone can do better with this question than this, but my impression is that there isn't any reason at all except tradition.

According to the FAQ at RSSIF (#16)

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/skating/ice/figure/rules/

before 1990 there wasn't any rule specifically forbidding vocal music, it just "wasn't done." (The same reason that women are "ladies," LOL.)

"When a few skaters used vocal music in the 1989-1990 season (notably US skaters Erik Larson and Natasha Kuchiki & Todd Sand, who both skated to opera selections), the ISU reacted by closing the loophole."

In ice dance, the reason they began to allow vocal music was because in the 1997-98 season one of the rhythms chosen was the jive, and coaches could not find enough suitable music that didn't have vocals.

That was the thin edge of the wedge. "Apparently the ISU has decided that dance would now be too boring without vocal music so the rules change to allow vocals has carried over into subsequent years."

(Quote are from Sandra Loosemore of Frogs on Ice.)

waxel

Final Flight
Please, please, please... less Middle-Eastern noise this season. And for me, we had far too many ersatz Latin selections last year.

My personal preference is classical... but remember, classical doesn't necessarily HAVE to mean warhorse. There is still a vast untapped wealth of repertoire out there.

Jhar55

Medalist
I liked The Mission, don't know anything about it but when I heard it last year I just loved it. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

CDMM1991

Medalist
SeaniBu said:
In the realistic sense, I like the use of Jesse Cook - he also has music in a couple of Anime series - and that could happen more. Maybe some Al Di Meola and as much as I might like to hear Steve Vie cranking out Blue Powder, I don't think it will happen. Some of Eyna and something by John Coltrane or even The Duke, Ellington that is.:cool:

Funnily enough, I'm using Al Di Meola for my new long program this year!

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I don't know what I do want to hear, I just know I DON'T want to hear the same old same old... I'm almost afraid to mention my "new" discoveries because if I do, they might become badly over used before I get the chance to skate to them all and wow the judges with my originality!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Funnily enough, I'm using Al Di Meola for my new long program this year!

Cool! That is something I would love to see get posted on Youtube or the like. What song(s)?