For the recently retired | Golden Skate

For the recently retired

bobby

Rinkside
I stopped competing right when the new system was getting down and dirty. I never competed in it, so I wanted to see if I could pull some answers from those who are still involved and have seen the changes in the younger levels, ie; inter-junior on a club/regional level. This may be blah to some, but I saw some really great programs and some spontaneous acts when I was younger and I wondered if that was still around. Feel free to get nostalgic, or to educate me, I'm open to both.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I'm 14, and a competitive figure skater in Canada in pre-novice, equal to intermediate I believe, at the sectional level. Last year was my first year using the new judging system, and personally -- as a young and developing skater I loved it. From a skater's point of view I find the judging a lot more accurate, or at least more understandable, because you can look at your protocals and see down to the 0.01 where you went wrong, and maybe even compare with your friends.

As for the spontaneous choreography, or lack thereof, I think that's never changed. I think at this level the judges are looking for something different when scoring PCS than they are at the international senior level. Also, skaters at this level don't necessarily have the ability to incorporate complex transitions into their programs. If anything, I think that the choreography and overall presentation has gotten better with the new judging system, because skaters have been forced to pay attention to it, because they can SEE all on their own, that they are losing points on these scores, whereas before everything happened behind the scenes, and you just had to take the results in stride and work on what you thought you had to work on.

As much as the new judging system is frowned upon on the senior level, I think it has an enormous amount of potential at all levels of figure skating, and it has already shown me that it is a great change for the lower levels, because young skaters can really see what they need to improve, and they are opened up to all new parts of skating. I don't think I ever would have tried a catchfoot layback if CoP hadn't been introduced, and now it's my favorite spin!

I hope I was of help,
CDMM

P.S. Maybe this thread should be in 'The Lutz Corner'? It might get more attention from skaters there.